Notices

classic suspension and alloys questions?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2005, 10:10 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default classic suspension and alloys questions?

hey guys, i'm not sure if this should be in the suspension or the wheels and tyres section, so i'll leave it in suspension for the time being.
Basically my son is planning on doing some mods to his MY99 classic Sport, mainly the handling aspects, as we all know this is worth more than power
he has the following planned:

Rear arb and fittings
Sti or Turbo struts with -50mm H&R springs
antilift kit
and then all the bumpsteer goodness from powerstation

but then comes the problems with alloys etc, he has said he would like either WRX alloys, or STi alloys, but has his eyes on getting some PFF7 replica's in 18s. What we need to know is what tyre ratings are going to not rub, or if they do rub, how is the arch rolling meant to be done on scoobys.
the lip in the arch seems dangerous if its going to rub, so would like to have them done as a proactive measure rather than rip some tyres to shreds!

has anyone got any eye openers on this topic?

many thanks

ScoobyDoo69

PS no comments on its not worth modding a Sport please
Old 24 August 2005, 06:48 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, it's not worth modding a ....Just kidding.

Seems like you are on the right track, a rear anti roll bar makes a huge difference especially if it is one from Whiteline. (22mm 3 way adjustable), also try some solid droplinks, assuming a sport looks similar to a turbo underneath.

H & R Springs tend to get a good write up by most, but the preffered spring is generally Eibach, but this probably only lowers by 25mm or so.

As for rubbing, I have 18" WRC-1 with 215mm section, I think a 225mm 18 would definately rub when lowered 50mm. I'm sure someone else can help with the arch rolling..

Anti lift kit seems to get a mixed reaction, some like it, some say it makes little difference, and they would rather have spent elsewhere. Not got it myself so can't comment. Try a search.

Bumpsteer mod worthy, and 4 wheel alignment a must.

Daz
Old 24 August 2005, 08:28 PM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

If you're after good handling rather than ghetto looks then don't fit -50mm springs. The suspension geometry doesn't suit that and the struts will have the bump and rebound travels messed-up.

The front and rear anti-roll bars need to be balanced. I'd expect (but don't know for a fact) that the sport will have a rather puny front bar so don't go slapping a big rear bar on without first checking the front fitment unless you want to see your son fly off the road backwards.
Old 24 August 2005, 08:53 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Suggest you contact Powerstation Direct.Very friendly and helpful and know their stuff.
Old 24 August 2005, 11:50 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DuncanG
If you're after good handling rather than ghetto looks then don't fit -50mm springs. The suspension geometry doesn't suit that and the struts will have the bump and rebound travels messed-up.

The front and rear anti-roll bars need to be balanced. I'd expect (but don't know for a fact) that the sport will have a rather puny front bar so don't go slapping a big rear bar on without first checking the front fitment unless you want to see your son fly off the road backwards.
from what i know the front is the same as the turbo, but the rear just lacks a roll bar? he is actually going to powerstations open day, so i'm sure he'll talk to someone then, but these forums are great for finding out peoples own personal experiences, rather than a company just telling you whats best etc

Regarding the ghetto looks lol if you look at S.S.S's (Silver Scooby Sport) thread, his turbo is on those springs, and it doesnt look slammed, just arch filling really, which my son is very keen on that look.
He is about to get a chunk of money owed to him from work, so he's looking at getting this done and dusted with alloys and suspension sorted around the same time (otherwise his car with big alloys looks like its on stilts )
Thanks for the advise though guys, is there anyone else who has any views on the situ?

SD69