Notices

Fitting springs ???

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2005, 08:23 PM
White-Un
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting springs ???

Finally got my H&R springs today . I`ll be putting them on 2 mora.

Has anyone got some advice for me bout fitting them cause i`ve heard people sayin that there springs were noisy after fitting them ?

And the springs have got plastic wrapped round part of the coils , am i correct in sayin they go at the bottom ?

Cheers White un
Old 14 July 2005, 08:42 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

the plastic goes near the bottom yea.

replaced my top mounts a while back and now mine are clattering too, fecking annoying really as there's not anything that's different with the way they've been fitted.

Andy
Old 14 July 2005, 11:13 AM
White-Un
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate .

Anymore advice any one ?????
Old 20 July 2005, 08:12 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget the front dampers / springs are offset, so the top hat metal cap isn't central, but over to one side. Failing to do that would mean the unit hits the inner wing. Have a good luck before stipping them once off the car.

Hope you have spring clamps to compress the springs before you undo the top mount central nut!
Old 20 July 2005, 08:21 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

bit confusing that Vulnax...

Just make sure the hole in the top cap faces outwards and inline with the hub clamp fixing.

spring compressors are not "absolutely nesessary" as long as you have a friend to help.
Lay the damper on the floor and "buzz" the 17mm top nut off, it will kick a little but wont take anyone's head off.
Putting it all back together is where the freind comes in handy. stand the damper up and place it all together, get him to lean down on it all, compresssing the spring over the top of the damper with the capp and top mount on top, then you can spin the nut on by hand and then buzz up once the top cap is in place over the strut body.
Dont be tempted to force it all togther with the nut by buzzing it straight on or it will likely not centralise properly and you will butcher the top cap hole into an oval shape... that's what I think rattles then.

Andy
Old 20 July 2005, 08:42 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheers Fuzz, I knew what I meant ( having done this! ) just didn't explain it well! Had a thread some where ( Ravensblade site i think with pics and good info ) but couldn't find it!

Hope they have a power tool to "buzz" the top nut off .. may be worth trying to crack it off while still on car before undoing top mount 3 bolts?

Have you ever seen the top nut fly the length of the garage and dent the garage door - I did on my 200SX when I changed those springs, sheesh scary the stored energy there! Bought a set of spring compressors right after!!!
Old 20 July 2005, 08:57 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I really wouldn't bother if they didn't have the use of an impact gun, it's a fugging nightmare trying to keep it all still with just a ratchet and socket.

yea I wouldn't recommend using that procedure on something like a 306 diesel, those front springs elongate to about twice their length when removed and have some serious force behind em when they go (found out the hard way too )

Scoob springs are pretty tame in comparison.

Andy