Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2005, 02:46 PM
steffiraf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice please!

Advice wanted -

And yes I know this proves my girly ignorance but I have a MY99 Wagon, with 17" Kei Racing Force 10's on(had them 2 months). I appreciate the offset is slightly out, but recently the drivers side rear tyre keeps scraping on the wheel arch on left hand bends or bumpy roads. It has never done this before, but the car was loaded up with stuff for a trip to France last week, when the problem started. I have been advised to put the original wheels back on but i love my new alloys. The ride seems a bit more squashy than before and am thinking of replacing the rear suspension. Have had it to a Subaru dealer this morning and they advise getting something like Bilsteins(?). I have no idea what they are or what they are supposed to do.
Can anyone enlighten me and/or offer any other options available to me?(Hopefully without changing my wheels?)

Thanks very muchly
Steff
Old 11 May 2005, 04:05 PM
Pauleds2
Scooby Regular

Alternatively can anyone recommend some reasonably priced replacement suspension struts to stiffen the whole thing up a bit?

Cheers.
Old 11 May 2005, 04:49 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

See the sponsors of the forum above, Powerstation. I have the AST's on mine, and they are very good value for money IMO. I would recommend you go to them ( i know its a long way) and get them to set the suspension up properly, as camber bolts may well be necessary. Make sure they put the stiffer rear springs on, due to it being a wagon.

Steven
Old 11 May 2005, 06:24 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Do you know the offset of your wheels? They should be between +48 to +52 ET.

I would have someone check to see if the rear subframe is centred. If it isn't the wheels will be offset to one side or the other. Since the wheel/arch clearance is minimal, this is very important.

Whiteline sell a kit called a "subframe locking bolt kit", which is a performance add-on used to maintain better alignment at the rear. However, it also may be useful in a case like yours, because, once fitted, the subframe is automatically centred. Then, once the original 4 subframe bolts are re-tightened, the Whiteline bolts can be removed (if you like), and the subframe remains centred.

Hope this helps.

John