Notices

prodrive springs

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 07:55 PM
cat7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prodrive springs

Are these (from official dealers and fitted to the wr1 etc) the eibach kit or are they different.

answers on a postcard, or even better on here would be nice.

steve
Old 03 March 2005, 08:16 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The answer is Yes and No

IIRC

Prodrive don't actualy make the Springs. Prodrive give the specifications to Eibach etc and they make them. Whereas the Eibachs will use there own spec's for there own labelled product.

So the "Eibach" STi spring kit will NOT be exactly same as the "Prodrive" STi spring kit made by Eibach

In the Prodrive kit i beleive you also get replacement bump stops an Warranty

IIRC

Tony
Old 04 March 2005, 02:13 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
In the Prodrive kit i beleive you also get replacement bump stops an Warranty

IIRC

Tony
I know you get new bumpstops with the 05 WRX PD spring kit (SACC2666) so I would imagine you get similar for Sti/WR1 etc...

Jason
Old 04 March 2005, 02:37 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive kit was developed and is manufactured by Eibach. There are two differences between them when shipped:

1) Prodrive ones come in a Prodrive box, Eibach ones in an Eibach box
2) Prodrive ones are red, Eibach's are black
Old 04 March 2005, 02:47 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ThrustSSC
The Prodrive kit was developed and is manufactured by Eibach. There are two differences between them when shipped:

1) Prodrive ones come in a Prodrive box, Eibach ones in an Eibach box
2) Prodrive ones are red, Eibach's are black
Isnt the rating of the Prodrive slightly different and Eibach are not allowed to sell that rating as their own product? But the difference is so small they are essentially the same?
Old 04 March 2005, 02:50 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

ThrustSSC

Before this gets into 'I read it on Scoobynet so it must be right' (22B, 350bhp as std anyone..) I would like to point out that you have been mislead, they are completely different rates and lenghts. They are made by Eibach, but there the similarity ends.

The guys from Eibach UK were absolutely gobsmacked by the difference the kit makes to the STi, but that was the first time they had driven a car with a kit that had been developed by us in the UK.

Mike
Old 04 March 2005, 02:56 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Trashman

No, that's wrong again! (22B has 375bhp now!!)

The Eibach springs have completely different rates, achieve different rideheights and don't have bumpstops for the cars fitted with monotube dampers like the STi or 05MY WRX.

Mike
Old 04 March 2005, 03:00 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike

Are these available for 05STI ? (Subaru web site doesn't indicate they are)

Thanks

Guy
Old 04 March 2005, 03:03 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
ThrustSSC

Before this gets into 'I read it on Scoobynet so it must be right' (22B, 350bhp as std anyone..) I would like to point out that you have been mislead, they are completely different rates and lenghts. They are made by Eibach, but there the similarity ends.

The guys from Eibach UK were absolutely gobsmacked by the difference the kit makes to the STi, but that was the first time they had driven a car with a kit that had been developed by us in the UK.

Mike
OK, thanks for the clarification, Mike. I thought my source was reliable...

I'll get me coat and go and start ugly rumours elsewhere

While you're on the line, any chance of you guys coming up with some tyre pressure settings for the PFF7's you are selling us all? At the moment you only offer them for P-Zero Neros (2.3 front, 2.1 rear, I think) - whereas most of us don't like that tyre. I wouldn't suggest you do all possible tyres, but the common ones (like Goodyear Eagle GS-D3, Toyo Proxes T1-S and T1-R) would be useful!
Old 04 March 2005, 03:44 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Trashman

The Eibach springs have completely different rates, achieve different rideheights and don't have bumpstops for the cars fitted with monotube dampers like the STi or 05MY WRX.

Mike
Sheesh! I read it on Scoobynet though.

Old 04 March 2005, 03:44 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Supply me a set of each tyre and we may do

To be honest, it really comes down to personal preference. I would suggest starting at the pressures you list and then adjusting them slightly to suit your own tastes. As a generalisation, when we've tried heavily directional tyres like the T1-S they seem to need more pressure to get good steering feel but this affects the ride. Only you can decide whether you want the ride quality or steering feel to be optimised. When doing this sort of exercise it is important to start from a known reference though, ie set the pressures with a gauge you are happy with and can use when you need to and go up and down by 1 or 2 psi at a time. Remember that as the tyre warms up, either by driving or a change in ambient temperature, the pressure changes. As an example, if the pressures are measured in the morning on a car that has been sat outside, they will be less than if you check them at a motorway service area. We use our workshop temperature as a control as it stays reasonably constant.

Mike

Mike
Old 04 March 2005, 03:55 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

erm....... so are they Mike......springs available for the 05STI that is?

Cheers

Guy
Old 04 March 2005, 04:02 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Trashman

Mike
top man mike ???
can you get hold of the springs at the right price
cheers steve
Old 04 March 2005, 04:04 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Guy

No, we are still waiting for the initial stock to be produced by our supplier. When they arrive, they will be checked to make sure they do what we want and then they will be out to Subaru. Week 12 was the latest estimate/German promise (note that a German promise may only be very slightly more believable than an Italian one )

Mike
Old 04 March 2005, 04:12 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Supply me a set of each tyre and we may do

To be honest, it really comes down to personal preference. I would suggest starting at the pressures you list and then adjusting them slightly to suit your own tastes. As a generalisation, when we've tried heavily directional tyres like the T1-S they seem to need more pressure to get good steering feel but this affects the ride. Only you can decide whether you want the ride quality or steering feel to be optimised. When doing this sort of exercise it is important to start from a known reference though, ie set the pressures with a gauge you are happy with and can use when you need to and go up and down by 1 or 2 psi at a time. Remember that as the tyre warms up, either by driving or a change in ambient temperature, the pressure changes. As an example, if the pressures are measured in the morning on a car that has been sat outside, they will be less than if you check them at a motorway service area. We use our workshop temperature as a control as it stays reasonably constant.

Mike

Mike
LOL. You'll forgive me if I do my own tyre testing, then - it's more fun that way Thanks for the info - it's not far off what I've done to date with the 3 sets I've used so that's good. What's ride quality, by the way, and why should I worry about it?

While I'm on the topic, why does my MY03 STi PPP eat front inside corners? I stretch my tyre by swapping end-for-end at half-life, but I'm wondering if higher pressure settings might help a little here?
Old 04 March 2005, 04:15 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

no mike for the my04 for me cheers
Old 04 March 2005, 05:01 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Cool

Week 12 was the latest estimate/German promise (note that a German promise may only be very slightly more believable than an Italian one )
Mike,
Glad to see you haven't lost your sense of humour

Thanks for the clarification

Tony
Old 04 March 2005, 05:16 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

ThrustSSC

Quite a lot of load is put on the inside edge of the tyres under heavy braking so my suggestion would be to brake less and go round the corners faster.........

Check the gemetry would be the obvious route making sure that you have no toe-out.

Mike
Old 04 March 2005, 09:38 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Quite a lot of load is put on the inside edge of the tyres under heavy braking so my suggestion would be to brake less and go round the corners faster.........
LOL Class!

Check the gemetry would be the obvious route making sure that you have no toe-out.
Geometry should be good - I had it done down at Powerstation (it was way out on the settings it was delivered with). All credit to them, they took out the understeer very nicely.

Or is this perhaps a factor in inside corner wear? Does toe-in cause understeer, so now I've got toe-out?

I suspect it's one of those things I have to live with - even the chaps at Cotswold Subaru in Hailey admit that Scoobies eat their front inside corners
Old 04 March 2005, 10:11 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I can confirm it as have drive a STI fitted with Eibachs and is completely different from mine and other STIs equipped with Prodrive springs (I ordered since now more than 10 kits from Prodrive )
I wonder Mike as MY05 struts are similar with MY04 even if their suspensions are differents external why you change the springs, are they different shape/design?
JIM
Old 05 March 2005, 08:42 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Guy

No, we are still waiting for the initial stock to be produced by our supplier. When they arrive, they will be checked to make sure they do what we want and then they will be out to Subaru. Week 12 was the latest estimate/German promise (note that a German promise may only be very slightly more believable than an Italian one )

Mike
Thanks Mike

I'll try some time in April then

Cheers

Guy
Old 05 March 2005, 12:30 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Talking

MIke that must be right as you can get 310bhp from the 22B Sport

Originally Posted by JIM THEO
I can confirm it as have drive a STI fitted with Eibachs and is completely different from mine and other STIs equipped with Prodrive springs
Jim,
I had Eibachs on my MY02STi as from new. As soon as the Prodrive kit was available I had them replaced certainly improved the handling

Originally Posted by JIM THEO
I ordered since now more than 10 kits from Prodrive
Must be getting a bit crowded around the Dampers with 10 springs on LOL

Sorry a bit of near humour

Tony
Old 05 March 2005, 02:03 PM
STi_Bob
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've already put my order in at my local dealer. They can't give me a delivery date, but I pester them every week and I reckon they are getting a bit pi**ed off now.

They just said that they will make sure they get the springs asap and they will book my car in for the next day, regardless of the work schedule just to get me off their back!

I have just put on the PFF7's in gold on my WR blue car with a Mongoose exhaust. The car now sounds as it should, but looks like its up in the air - the sooner the springs are on the better!!! I can't wait! Normally the germans are pretty good with their timing plans - I have to work with them so I know.... but its funny how they can change timing schedules when it suits them!!! Keep the pressure on and get those springs here!!!!!!!
Old 05 March 2005, 06:50 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know how much subaru charge to fit them????
Old 05 March 2005, 08:21 PM
grobby
Scooby Newbie

Regards tyre pressures with PFF7s and Prodrive springs on new-age STI, I have an STI02 with Goodyear GSD3-F1s and find 33/31 psi F/R to be the best compromise.

Did try 36/34 psi but the ride was way too harsh even for me and was not pleasant at all + I don't imagine it does wheel bearings/suspension bushes much good either, turn-in and feel is slightly improved with the higher pressures but on a bumpy road it's too stiff. Am still on original shocks after 50000 miles so that may also be a factor in harsh ride, getting new shocks fitted soon.

Have Prodrive springs changed at all between STI02-STI04, would have thought not but springs may have changed for MY05?
Old 05 March 2005, 08:22 PM
STi_Bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Does anyone know how much subaru charge to fit them????
Got quoted £240 + VAT from local dealer.

Mike Wood: Do you have to get the springs fitted by the dealer to retain warranty or can I just buy the springs and ask powerstation to fit them?
Old 05 March 2005, 08:39 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

240 just to fit?
Old 06 March 2005, 01:11 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by STi_Bob
Got quoted £240 + VAT from local dealer.
can I just buy the springs and ask powerstation to fit them?
Contesious Issue

As a Owner I can recomend Powerstation Warranty should not be affected as long as they are fitted correctly if the Strut fails with a Prodrive sring fitted correctly by Qwick Sfit. no problems could arise. But if a Non Warrantyed part is fitted even by even a Dealer could have poiblems IMHO

Tony
Old 06 March 2005, 04:34 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ok i have Eibach's on my Sti My03 and they are superb... the ride quality is much much better than the standard springs... I can't actualy believe they released the car in that way... the standard setup is crap.
now the ride is in another league, it wactulay feels much softer sprung than before when your just bimbling around, but really holds up much better under heavy load...
It now feels so much more planted, like the cars been made about a foot wider it rides bang on now doesn't feel like your on a north sea ferry when hard cornering...
I really do push hard into corners and arn't a power only driver... Unlike some videos i seen on here so hopefully giving an honest appraisal...
If the prodrive springs are any different, that differnace would IMO be impossible to determine...
The Eibachs are supperb, if anyone states otherwise then they have no idea what there talking about...
I couldn't ask for the car to be set-up any better than it is at the moment... it really is that good... very very impressed and i'm mega fussy with setup...

Dazza
Old 06 March 2005, 05:19 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Dazza if you hit a bump when cornering you'll see the difference the uprated bump-stops from Prodrive springs do (although the car lowers front about 2,3-2,5cm they give you back almost all the factory suspension travel which is critical when drive on uneven roads).
Of course no one says that Prodrives are the best springs around, just they are better than Eibachs and they have reasonable price - compared say with STI pink springs that supposedly are better!
You pay your money and take your choice.
JIM

Quick Reply: prodrive springs