Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2005, 02:23 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question MY00 Turbo... Eibachs & Suspension Question

Hi Team

Just thinking in advance at the moment regarding Eibach Springs here, but I really need to have my 4 wheel alignment sorted out and if I do decide to have springs in the future I will end up having to pay for this a second time.
Basically do you need to consider the struts etc ?? only the car is 4 years old and I am sure I have read that older struts and dampers ?? is it ?? don't take to lowering very well...

Now I am a numpty when it comes to suspension because I know very little about it at the moment lol but can I just change the springs and nothing else with no excess long term wear on the other parts ?

Also whats the situation with anti roll bars etc ?? I dont want to get to carried away with the spending here but what's the main couple of smaller suspension tweeks that can change the handling for the best ??

Must add I'll have the bumpsteer mod done when I am there, I'll get Powerstation to sort it out when I am ready.

Cheers
Simon
Old 26 February 2005, 03:18 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Hi Team

Just thinking in advance at the moment regarding Eibach Springs here, but I really need to have my 4 wheel alignment sorted out and if I do decide to have springs in the future I will end up having to pay for this a second time.
Basically do you need to consider the struts etc ?? only the car is 4 years old and I am sure I have read that older struts and dampers ?? is it ?? don't take to lowering very well...

Now I am a numpty when it comes to suspension because I know very little about it at the moment lol but can I just change the springs and nothing else with no excess long term wear on the other parts ?

Also whats the situation with anti roll bars etc ?? I dont want to get to carried away with the spending here but what's the main couple of smaller suspension tweeks that can change the handling for the best ??

Must add I'll have the bumpsteer mod done when I am there, I'll get Powerstation to sort it out when I am ready.

Cheers
Simon
I have a MY00.
The eibachs are a good choice, I have mated mine to KYB AGX adjustable shocks, fully poly bushed front end, Anti lift kit, front and rear 22mm adjustable anti roll bars, whiteline droplinks, rear camber bolts, sti top mounts and front strut brace.
I think the eibachs are OK with standard shocks as the drop is not really noticeable, but the handling change is. I would also recommend the anti lift kit, and adj. roll bars with uprated drop links.
Depends on how far you want to go. The camber bolts are good, so are the shocks.
When you get the geometry done the camber bolts help dial in some rear negative camber.
Its all down to you.
The set up I have is ideal for family days out(turn the shocks down) or up when im on my own.
Hope this helps.
Jt
Old 26 February 2005, 04:15 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Jt, You have been busy by the look of things !! sounds like you got a great set up there... any pics ??? be interested to see for sure.

At present I just wanted to get the Geo done, but looking at things logically if I go to this expense I should look at the springs otherwise I will be paying for 2 lots of Geo, so if the shocks take the drop ok I really must consider putting some Eibachs on when I am at it.
I'll have to see if anyone is selling a set, save a couple of quid.

I'll have to look into anti-lift and roll bars I am not up to speed on that yet.
One more thing... a future upgrade when the tyres wear low may be 18" wheels
I take it these will drop on with Eibachs with no problems ?

Thanks
Simon
Old 26 February 2005, 05:52 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Links to pics. http://j-abraham.fotopic.net/c193701.html
I have got 215/40 17s.
18s are OK as long as you get the correct offset.
Old 26 February 2005, 08:20 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers jt.... hey that is one smart looking motor you got there, and it sits down really well.

Simon
Old 27 February 2005, 07:03 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Would someone give me a laymans terms what Anti lift and Roll Bars actually do ?

I've just done a search but any questions regarding them are more detailed than the basic " what are they "

Thanks guys
Simon
Old 27 February 2005, 07:46 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anti-Roll bars do exactly what they say on the tin.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm
Old 27 February 2005, 08:45 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Would someone give me a laymans terms what Anti lift and Roll Bars actually do ?

I've just done a search but any questions regarding them are more detailed than the basic " what are they "

Thanks guys
Simon
Hi
The anti lift kit adds 0.5 degrees of positive castor, which inturn reduces the front of the car lifting its nose under acceleration. Basically it helps keep the front wheels nailed to the road when booting it, also makes a big difference coming out of bends in the wet. It really aids traction. Good Mod.
Wheres Graham(911) hes the one for suspension
Jt
Old 27 February 2005, 10:14 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks ozzy, jt

I'm starting to see how they all go together now, I have had Eibachs fitted and the Geo done on a Sport I owned before this Turbo and was suprised with how different that felt but never looked any deeper into it than that at the time.

Where do the drop links come into this by the way ? I assume I have those already and that mod is just about uprating what's already there ?

I have read many posts about power and one comment that always stuck in my mind was that you can't get the best out of the car with standard suspension, so with just a few slight tweeks with the car's handling this will make it go so much better than just going to work under the bonnet... all the power in the world can't stop body roll etc etc.

Thanks
Simon

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 27 February 2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 28 February 2005, 09:21 AM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Thanks ozzy, jt

I'm starting to see how they all go together now, I have had Eibachs fitted and the Geo done on a Sport I owned before this Turbo and was suprised with how different that felt but never looked any deeper into it than that at the time.

Where do the drop links come into this by the way ? I assume I have those already and that mod is just about uprating what's already there ?

I have read many posts about power and one comment that always stuck in my mind was that you can't get the best out of the car with standard suspension, so with just a few slight tweeks with the car's handling this will make it go so much better than just going to work under the bonnet... all the power in the world can't stop body roll etc etc.

Thanks
Simon
Hi
The oe droplinks are made of plastic and allow a certain amount of flex before tensioning the roll bar, thus changing to whiteline links which are metal reduce the flex, making the roll bar more compliant.
Jt
Old 28 February 2005, 10:56 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest improvement to any cars performance will always be the driver. You'd be amazed what a completely standard UK Turbo is capable of in the hands of a great driver. Us lesser mortals have to tweak things to make up for it

OEM Setup (this is the rear)

Uprated

Shows a thicker Whiteline Anti-Roll Bar along with some solid metal drop links.

As the car rolls, it forces the bar to twist. The more it twists, the more the car body will roll. You can fight this twisting by stiffening the drop links or installing a thicker bar.

Same principle front & rear, although depending on what the balance is like you can increase grip on either end. This is where you start hearing about understeer or oversteer when anti-roll bars are mentioned.

Stefan
Old 28 February 2005, 05:56 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Nice one thanks guys.....

It's becoming much clearer now
Old 28 February 2005, 07:57 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I've got an MY00 too and have added the whiteline adjustable rear ARB with rear powerflex droplinks. These two mods make a very noticeable difference. Much less understeer and less roll. Turn in feels much better and more immediate. I had considered going for Eibachs too - but these two mods have changed the handling so much I am happy with the car on standard springs.
Old 28 February 2005, 08:10 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

interesting jim_B..i too have a MY00.
Since giving mine a tek3 and all the extra power it produces i really notice the body roll if pushing it round corners and roundabouts and lift upon acceleration out of corners.
Was thinking first of Eibach springs, then whiteline rear 22mm adjustable ARB and alloy links front and rear.
From what i hear these simple mods transform the handling of the car.
Then may'be go for an anti lift kit when funds permit.

would be interested to know if anybody on hear can tell me the benefits of a front lower strut brace over an upper one...if it is an advantage?
Old 28 February 2005, 09:35 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I did the ARB & droplinks 1st as it was the roll that I really wanted to change and dial out some understeer. Plus - they were realtively cheap mods and I could fit them myself so that kept the cost down. The 22mm whiteline rear ARB on mid setting makes loads of difference. Still notice some roll - but thats more on track rather than the road.