Notices

Top Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2005, 10:22 PM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Mounts

I am getting a nice new set of AST's soon, and thought it would be a good time to fit new mounts. My front camber maxes out at 1 degree, and even with the ALK I only just make 3 degrees of Castor, so I need some that adjust for both.

I've heard about the MRT mounts, but can't find them anywhere. Does anyone know if they're still made?

The alternative is the HKS, unless anyone knows of any other options?

Anyway, my question is this:

Do I need both front and rear mounts? I don't (at the moment) need any further adjustment at the back, but will the benefits of a stiffer mount be as worthwhile at the back, or even desirable?

Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated
Old 06 January 2005, 07:17 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Sti v3 with loads of mods to the suspension, so understand where you are!

The MRT mounts are on my car only at the front, are available via MRT direct, www.mrtrally.com.au.
They are very good. I increased my caster to 2 x stock, and they give huge camber adjustment too.

To get the best from each corner, I have:

Front
MRT tops, camber bolts, AVO struts, alk, polyurethane bushes.
22mm Whiteline rollbar and bushes.
Steering rack in hard bushes.
MRT lower subframe brace

Rear
AVO struts, stock Sti top mounts
Camber bolts
22mm Whiteline adjustable roll bar, solid drop links
Poly bushes at every pivot
Whiteline lower lateral bars
Solid diff cage bushes
Subframe locking bolts.

Settings: Whiteline 'Radical' off their web site.(only achieved via MRT top mounts)
Wheels: Prodrive P1 17''
Tyres: Kumho V70 medium compound.

Should add this is a road driven (3000 miles) hill climb car, so is a bit compromised on the road, but does it ever go round bends!

Hope this helps a bit,

Last edited by 911; 06 January 2005 at 07:19 AM. Reason: wrong wording
Old 06 January 2005, 09:44 AM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

That helps a lot, thanks very much.

I found the MRT mounts in the end, they do look to have a huge scope for adjustment, much more than the HKS ones do ( I may be wrong).

Do you have the road or sport version?

Very reasonable price too, at current rates £117, so even with air freight costs I imagine they'll be cheaper than the £200 or so for the HKS

I have a V5 type-r. I have the ALK, front and rear 22mm bars, links and bumpsteer mod, so not as extreme as yours. I'm getting the AST's mainly because the dampers are fading anyway, but with the top mounts my intention is to improve the turn in and steering response a little, which is a bit crappy at the moment (to be expected with knackered shocks though!)

Would you recommend any of your other mods to help in this area? Does the geometry kill the tyres really quickly? (or just quickly? )
Old 06 January 2005, 12:59 PM
Scooby Regular

Mine are the racing ones, fine on the road, just put a drop of engine oil into the top to oil the bearing each time I check the oil.

For a nice road car I would delete the following from my list:

Front:
Poly bushes, alk, steering rack poly bushes, lower subframe brace.
Rear:
Whiteline lower link arms (4 off)
Poly bushes
Subframe lock bolts

The radical geometry has had no effect on tyre wear (racing does!) It tracks well, no tramlines, hands off steering @ 70 mph.

The high caster gives a 'wooden' feel to the steering, but you dont notice it after a short while, it's a bit heavier too.

MOST important is to get the right spring rates for the coil-overs. Power Station can give good advice I think. Getting the adjustable damping just right is a real suck-it-and-see task. Too hard and the car will be a pain.

Good luck, 911
Old 06 January 2005, 09:01 PM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

That's great, thanks for the input.

I'm provisionally booked in on the 17th, but that depends on how long it takes to ship the mounts over now, I guess.

I'll be sure to tell you how it goes

I think I'll give the geometry settings a go too. I'm about halfway through a set of SO-3's (225/35/18), which I'm not hugely impressed with so now would be a good time to see how it works out.
Old 06 January 2005, 10:56 PM
Scooby Regular

You won't be dissapointed....
SO3 are nothing like the wonderful SO2 pp's. What a shame Bridgstone stopped them.
Got a set on my 911, bliss!