Reducing Understear & Sharpening Handling

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2004, 11:50 AM
MiGi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing Understear & Sharpening Handling

My Question(s):

By keeping the stock suspension on my sti6 and only making changes to geometry and anti roll bars (bump stear???). If done properly/correctly will they prevent understear on power coming out of a corner AND!!! off power when entering (turn in) a corner (espcially in the wet).

I'm asking because I can see how changing geometry and the rear ARB can bias handling to oversteer when the power is on because the weight is transfered to the rear of the car. HOWEVER I am asuming that these changes have little affect on understeer caused from turn in off the power. Its the understear that is caused by over cooking turn in that I don't like so is it possible to cure this aswell as ON power understear by making only these small changes?

My motive/goal is to spend as little cash as possible (but want to do the job properly off course!!) and end up with a neutral or oversteer biased handling car on both turn in and power. Having just finshed building a 195bhp 460kg westfield the handling of the scooby seems absolutely PANTS!!! I know I can never match it but I want to sharpen it up a bit.

Any advice will be much appreciated

thanks
Old 29 December 2004, 03:46 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simple answer is get it along to Powersation. Think yours has the adjustable lower wishbone so you can increase castor. They will also adjust toe and camber to good settings. Not sure how susectible yours is to bumpsteer, Subaru sorted it as newer models came along, Powerstation can check it when its got all the laser gear bolted on. Mod is pretty straightforward, they shim the steering rack. Again not sure if yours has solid rear drop links, but theyre a good mod if yours are plastic. And lastly the whiteline adjustable ARB is great also, although again I think yours is thicker than std uk anyway....

Toe will help the initial turn in, castor and camber will help the cornering grip, bumpsteer mod will make the car "carve" through the corner like a scalpel!