Notices

Geometry question for 03 WRX wagon

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2004, 10:26 PM
Badone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geometry question for 03 WRX wagon

I have Prodrive springs and have very recently upgraded to 18s. I had the geometry checked/adjusted straight after the 18s were fitted. Only minor adjustment at the front was necessary but would they have based their settings on the standard or Prodrive set-up or does it not make any difference?
Old 16 November 2004, 06:13 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They would have used the standard settings if notr asked to do any different, might make a bit of a difference, could be worth getting it done again??
Old 16 November 2004, 07:52 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Badone
I have Prodrive springs and have very recently upgraded to 18s. I had the geometry checked/adjusted straight after the 18s were fitted. Only minor adjustment at the front was necessary but would they have based their settings on the standard or Prodrive set-up or does it not make any difference?
Sorry to hijack but I also have an 03 WRX wagon and have considered the Prodrive springs but it's hard to find wagon owners that have had it done.

Do the springs improve things much? I get fed up with how much my wagon rolls into corners.

Is the ride much harsher on rough B-roads?

And is the ride much different on the standard 17's to the 18's??

Cheers
Old 16 November 2004, 10:31 PM
Badone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blip
Sorry to hijack but I also have an 03 WRX wagon and have considered the Prodrive springs but it's hard to find wagon owners that have had it done.

Do the springs improve things much? I get fed up with how much my wagon rolls into corners.

Is the ride much harsher on rough B-roads?

And is the ride much different on the standard 17's to the 18's??

Cheers
I spoke to the wheel allignment company yesterday about the settings and they confirmed that they had used the standard settings allowing for new ride height. They advised me against using the Prodrive settings as in their view, the settings are very aggressive. Appreciate this is their view but having discussed the set-up of my car with them, I am happy to leave as is.

Springs plus 18s have definately improved the handling and the ride quality is much firmer (especially on B-roads) but more than okay (bump wise!). Bit more tyre noise but again no problem for me. The car also looks MUCH better
and sits quite fat now which I like! I had PPP fitted some months back so am now VERY happy (don't miss the P1 so much!).
Old 17 November 2004, 10:22 AM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Blip

Posted quite a bit about this - quick search on my name should show the threads.
Got an '03 wagon myself and had PPP and Prodrive springs done in feb and though I'd say it is still a compromise (as suspension always is - we have to drive on all sorts of roads) I reckon it's a definite improvement.
It isn't too harsh on rough and bumpy roads, in fact it's still more softly damped than a classic, and personally I think it could do with being harsher - but it does cut down the roll and general floaty wallowing. What I get now is more of a firmer and shorter bounce - which I think damping correctly would improve, however the ride quality is better than the classic was, so you don't get the pot-hole crashing that makes you wince at least.
It corners flatter, doesn't lift or dive as it did under acceleration/braking and doesn't get unsettled and go light over bigger humps as it did.

Oh, and that's on 17s, which I run F1 GSD3s at 2psi more than standard.

Some folk rate the Eibachs - I can't say. I went for the Prodrives for warranty reasons, and had it all done by my dealer.
Old 17 November 2004, 02:07 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - v helpful

I have been trying to sell my scoob recently, but have had no interest at all, even though I've dropped the price right down. So now I'm thinking stuff it I'll keep it and get some Prodrive springs - they sound just the job
Old 17 November 2004, 04:30 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blip
Thanks guys - v helpful

I have been trying to sell my scoob recently, but have had no interest at all, even though I've dropped the price right down. So now I'm thinking stuff it I'll keep it and get some Prodrive springs - they sound just the job
It's not exactly expensive either!....and if you've a bit more spare cash get it PPP'd. Then it'll be a bit more like the car you thought it should've been when you got it!
Old 17 November 2004, 05:00 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerry B
It's not exactly expensive either!....and if you've a bit more spare cash get it PPP'd. Then it'll be a bit more like the car you thought it should've been when you got it!
Oh yes yes yes....I have been enjoying the PPP for the last 20,000 miles. I made sure I got that fitted at the 1k service

Being keen to retain my warranty, apart from the Prodrive springs then it's just the 18" wheels I guess. Although I'm a bit confused about them because I have read conflicting reports. I would imagine that they would make the ride even crashier in combination with the Prodrive springs, but it is claimed it works the other way around and they improve the ride over the 17's.

But then you seem to be happy with your 17's in combination with the springs. Hmmm, a bit puzzled, but first things first....
Old 17 November 2004, 09:15 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with what Jerry B said.

Had my springs done 2 weeks ago and it has improved things greatly without any particular loss of ride quality.

Even though I haven't had the 4 wheel alignment done properly yet it is still good.
On this subject, what toe/camber are you guys running (and how does the car feel) as I'm not sure whether to go with the Prodrive recommendations that came with the springs or something else.

Cheers