Eibach+ARB+drop links vs Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2004, 12:28 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Eibach+ARB+drop links vs Coilovers

Choices. choices.

I have a decent set of fully adjustable coilovers sat in the garage and also a set of Eibach springs.

What should I do?

Option 1:

Get the coilovers fitted and geo

or

Option 2:

Get the Eibachs fitted along with and ARB and drop link + geo

All views welcomed.

Application is MY99

Bob
Old 29 October 2004, 01:03 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

coilovers.........especially if you do track days....
Old 29 October 2004, 02:13 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both will be a compromise, so it depends on your driving style and how often you use the car.

Coilover market varies a huge amount and a lot will depend on what make of you have.

There's been a few people remove coilovers simply because the couldn't live with them day-to-day.

Stefan
Old 29 October 2004, 02:31 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I'll ask you a question - What do you not like about your current suspension or what do you want to improve?

The answer to that will tell us what 'could' be best for you.

As an example - My car - I wanted a compliant set up for normal UK roads. So I've fitted;

AST Coilovers (which have been set up for UK roads)
Front and Rear Whiteline ARB's (rear adjustable)
Rear drop links (STI fronts are already stiff enough, on a UK car I would also do the fronts).
Adjustable rear links
Front lower brace
Powerstation bumpsteer and geometry

I could have gone for STI6 struts and springs in place of the AST's but new they were more expensive and I wanted to try the AST's anyway.

This gives me a nice compliant ride in towns, and when the speeds increase the car stays composed over bumps and flat in corners.

Dave.
Old 29 October 2004, 05:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The coilover spec is as follows:

"Subaru 98-01 Impreza (GC6/8) Sustec Pro S-S Coil-Over Damper Kit (Part#TSS031)

Product Spec.:

Front:
Spring Rate 8.0kg/mm, Height Adj. 0" to 2"

Rear:
Spring Rate 6.0kg/mm, Height Adj. -1/2" to 2"

Damper Adjust: Front 4 way/Rear 4 way

Delivering broad performance for the track to the streets, Sustec Pro S-S allows drivers to fine tune height, dampening and rebound based on track conditions and driver preference. Helper Springs eliminate pre-load of the main spring, which maximizes ride comfort and rebound stability. 4-way front adjustment, as well as 8-way rear adjustment allows drivers to fine tune dampening and rebound tunable to any track condition and driver preference. Front adjustments are located on top of the stock shaft, while rear adjustments are placed at the bottom of the shock case, offering easy access for quick suspension adjustments.

Solid Pillow Ball Upper Mounts (applicable on certain systems) Camber plates allow for easy adjustment of the suspension's geometry and have durable NMB pillow ball construction for solid response. *Permits the use of the stock upper mounts. *Upper mounts not available for certain applications but can be purchased separately.

Helper Springs Eliminates pre-load of the main spring, which maximizes ride comfort and rebound stability.

Extreme Short Stroke / Short Case Allows ride height to be lowered dramatically by 60~100mm (2 3/8~4in), without compromising stroke travel and ride comfort.

Sustec PRO210 Series Competition Spec Springs Tanabe's own PRO210 Series Springs have superior strength and durability that is achieved through our state-of-the-art manufacturing process. Constructed with our linear SAE9254 Cold Wound springs with a tensile strength of 2100N/mm, this allows the coil-overs to have a direct, firm response. *For the professional suspension tuner, different spring rate sets are available for special suspension tuning.

Super Heavy Duty PRO210 Series Spring Tanabe's own PRO210 Series Springs have superior strength and durability that is achieved through our state-of-the-art manufacturing process. Constructed with our linear SAE9254 Cold Wound springs with a tensile strength of 2100N/mm, this allows the coil-overs to have a direct, firm response.

Spring Seat & Lock Nut Lightweight forged aluminum Spring Seat and Lock Nut ensures superior longevity and strength. Spanner wrenches are included for easy adjustment.

Double-cylinder Low Pressure Gas Design Additional rebound stability and smoothness characteristics are achieved with this track proven design. Unlike other dual-tube designs, Tanabe has developed a dual-tube coilover that retains the ride comfort of monotube coilover suspension kits."

No trackdays. Am fairly happy with ride handling although could be lower and stiffer.

Want to do one or the other, not coilovers+arb, droplinks etc.

Bob

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 31 October 2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old 31 October 2004, 09:01 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

bttt
Old 01 November 2004, 12:58 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

LOL @ 8kg/mm front springs, Thats over 400lb. Hardest ones STI do are about 240lb. Doubt you would be able to live with that for long on a road car, unless your roads are very smooth.

Out of your 2 options, number 2 will get you closer to what you are after.

Dave.
Old 01 November 2004, 04:45 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaveW
LOL @ 8kg/mm front springs, Thats over 400lb. Hardest ones STI do are about 240lb. Doubt you would be able to live with that for long on a road car, unless your roads are very smooth.

Out of your 2 options, number 2 will get you closer to what you are after.

Dave.
Is it really that hard?
Old 01 November 2004, 04:52 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Comparison spring rates on the Ravensblade site

Ain't got a Scooby Doo what your coilovers equates too. You may get a better response asking on the 22b BBS.

Stefan
Old 02 November 2004, 12:43 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Get to a meet and find someone with hard coilovers fitted and see if they will take you down the road at a variety of speeds (one being 30mph over a bumpy road) Its the only way for you to know if they are right for you.

I do think that 440lb front springs are way too hard for the road, but maybe thats just me and you'll love them. As a comparison your Eibachs are rated at 171lb for the fronts.

Dave.
Old 02 November 2004, 03:03 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

What are the characteristics of a hard set up. Is it just a hard ride or does the car skip harshly ( and dangerously) over bumpy roads?

Bob
Old 04 November 2004, 04:05 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

I once followed a scoob with tarmac spec suspension (iirc with 500lb springs) on it and his back wheels were in the air going slowly down a bumpy road. He did say that it was just as well he had harnesses fitted as otherwise his head would have dented the roof coming down the motorway at 70mph!

When I turn up my dampers the car is better on smooth roads but does become more skittish on bumpy stuff, and these are only with 200lb springs.

You really do need to find someone with a set of coilovers fitted and see for yourself, otherwise your just taking others peoples (mine included) advice of what will work for you.

Dave.
Old 04 November 2004, 04:18 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

the problem is a poorly setup set of coilovers can ruin the cars handling over our roads. I certainly wouldn't make a decision lightly.

Whole different ball game if you spend all your time on smooth tarmac'd tracks.

Stefan
Old 04 November 2004, 05:30 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I may speak to the previous owner if I can find him.

Want to make the right choice or the labour costs of fitting/removing/fitting etc go through the roof.

Bob
Old 10 November 2004, 05:00 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

How about Tein type-ha. Any experiences/comments?

Bob