Notices

Solid rear bulk head - any difference to handling/noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2004, 06:17 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid rear bulk head - any difference to handling/noise?

I know that some scoobs (RB5, STI Type R?) have a solid rear bulk head.

I'm wondering if this stiffens the rear end enough to cause a difference in handling.

Also, will it keep the noise down in the cabin?

Any thoughts welcome.
Old 12 October 2004, 08:16 AM
pban
Scooby Regular

It must to some extent but as to the amount I can't say.

I have added the rear strut brace which does stiffen the rear, helps keep the geometry right if that makes sense.

Paul
Old 12 October 2004, 04:42 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
I know that some scoobs (RB5, STI Type R?) have a solid rear bulk head.

I'm wondering if this stiffens the rear end enough to cause a difference in handling.

Also, will it keep the noise down in the cabin?

Any thoughts welcome.
RB5 doesn't have a sold rear bulk head!!! It's a myth, it does have a solid back seat, piece of black cardboard and a silly bar (god knows what it supposed to do, it wouldn't strengthen the shell) I took the last two items out when I fitted some MDF (to mount the amps, etc )

Being honest, when it was all in there compared to my "normal" MY00 there was no difference in handling and or road noise....

Fitted drop links (all around) whiteline adjustable ARB, coilovers, front and rear strutt brace, plus the bumpsteer mod the difference in handling was absolutely unbelievable..... Best money, I've spent.

Hope this helps, Phill
Old 13 October 2004, 12:54 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by babber
RB5 doesn't have a sold rear bulk head!!! It's a myth, it does have a solid back seat, piece of black cardboard and a silly bar (god knows what it supposed to do, it wouldn't strengthen the shell) I took the last two items out when I fitted some MDF (to mount the amps, etc )
Phil, it's not a myth. That is exactly what Subaru class as the 'solid rear bulk head' .... the silly little bar. My JDM had this, but i got rid after moving to folding rear seats as you can't have both. Personally having seen it i would say a rear strut brace would be of more benefit and i noticed no difference after removing my 'solid rear bulk head.'

Tony.

Last edited by Tone Loc; 13 October 2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09 November 2004, 11:09 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Default Feedback

Well, I have gone and done it to see if it made any difference. I have fully seem welded a single peice of sheet steel into the opening between the rear seats and boot with the exception of the floor area. The boot floor has the petrol tank below it so was left well alone. This area was fastened using revitts? to hold the lower part against panel adhesive and it has bonded very well. My MY98 WRX also has the stupid rear bar across the seat area. This was welded to the rear panel to help with the fact that the lower section is only bonded.

Ok, the results.

With a fair bit of sound deadening material (self adhesive panels) and the original stuff back in place the noise is reduced dramatically. I have a Magnex rear box and straight through centre section so this was quite noisey before. I can no longer hear the rear brakes or the massive din from the exhaust.

As for it being any stiffer? Not too sure if it makes a difference that you will notice on the road or track for that matter.

So there you have it.