Notices

MY05 WRX Inverted Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2004, 01:41 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 WRX Inverted Suspension

Is this going to be dramatically different to the suspension on my MY04 or a subtle improvement?
Old 17 September 2004, 01:44 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Depends if they still keep fitting POGO- Stick springs to the standard WRX.
Old 17 September 2004, 02:13 PM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

whats wrong with the springs? never seen a bad write up of the handling anywhere before.
Old 17 September 2004, 02:20 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

The standard springs allow lots of wallow and float at high speed on B roads and gets even worse on coutry lanes in Dorset. Get the Prodrive springs which gets rid of this problem, along with that up on stilts look that the standard car suffers from ie 22 mm at the front 20mm rear drop. The standard spring leave a massive gap from the top of the front tyres to the bottom part of the front wheel arch so much so that you could put a tent up in the space.LOL
Old 17 September 2004, 03:23 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the MY04 was given the inverted struts anyway?

The springs leave a lot to be desired though.

Nick
Old 17 September 2004, 03:26 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

03/04 STI's were given inverted struts not WRX's

Regards

John
Old 17 September 2004, 03:58 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zerolight
Is this going to be dramatically different to the suspension on my MY04 or a subtle improvement?
And the answer to the question is?

Trending Topics

Old 18 September 2004, 08:52 AM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 18 September 2004, 10:25 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

As no-one seems to have a definitive answer then here goes with a theoretical one.

With normal struts the shock absorber is within the strut body, the piston sticks up out of the shock absorber, goes up thro the spring into the top mount.

With inverted struts the shock absorber bit is upside down. What was the bottom of the shock absorber body is attached to the top mount. What was the top of the piston is anchored to the insdoe of the bottom of the strut. So as the strut is compressed the outside of the shock body moves in and out of the strut casing.

Advantages 1 - the whole assembly is more resistant to bending because the bit that moves in and out of the strut casing is 2 inches in diameter (shock body) rather than 1/4 inch (piston rod), so the whole assembly is more resistant to bending. Useful on a rally stage, theoretically useful on the road, in practice who knows?

Advantages 2 - The heavy bit of the shock (the body, valves, oil, gas reservoir) is attached to the chassis, the light bit (piston, rod) is "attached" to the wheel. So reduced unsprung weight. Theoretical handling advantage as wheel frequency is lower, ie the lighter components can respond quicker to small bumps meaning the tyre is in contact with the road surface for more of the time. This could well be significant for a racing car with ultra lightweight uprights, tyres, wheels and brake components but, although theoretically better, is it significant on a road car? Who knows?

Disadvantage - as above the heavy bit is higher so cofg is higher. Even more theoretical this as the relative weight is tiny is comparison with the rest of the car.

So all in all theoretically better. In practice probably marginal on a road car if at all.

More likely that whether Subaru get the shocks made by company A or go to company B, who shave 3p per unit off the bulk purchasing price of 10,000,000 units, is far more important than whether they are upside down or not. But this is out of your control so you don't worry about it.....
Old 18 September 2004, 11:37 AM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

the main benefit of upsidedown suspension is that it lowers the unsprung mass on the car. If you have a lower unsprung mass then you can fit harder springs (for cornering) without losing "small bump sensitivity". Small bump sensitivity keeps suspension engineers awake at night because in a fast road car you want it to be stable in cornering but not fly off the road on a road ridge, drain cover, or one of those lines on the M40 - you get the picture.

In a track car car it doesn't matter really because there aren't that many ridges and things on a track - thats why if you've ever driven a track prepared car on the road it is a spine shattering experience.

Unsprung mass also includes the wheels (alloy wheels are lighter than steel), brakes, hub assembly and a percentage of the mass of the struts and wishbones. BMW took over 140kg out of the rear of the 740 a few versions ago and it drastically improved the feel of the car.

If the poster above is correct, even though the upside down shocks are heavier, they will still reduce the unsprung mass and this will give engineers many more options for stability of the car.

hope this helps. I design suspension for mountain bikes and will be doing similar stuff for cars in the future. On a race mtb it is really sensitive to unsprung mass so we use 4 pot disk brakes that weigh <200grams!!!!!

rd
Old 20 September 2004, 11:13 AM
zerolight
Scooby Regular

thanks guys.

i've booked the car in for some pro-drive springs to cheer me up. getting them fitted at the same time as it gets its 1000 mile service.
Old 21 September 2004, 05:25 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

Question:

Will the struts from a MY04 STI fit a MY05 WRX ?

Thanks
Old 10 December 2004, 10:07 PM
rydeon
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by marklemac
Question:

Will the struts from a MY04 STI fit a MY05 WRX ?

Thanks

mmm dont think so my05 got diffurent front bracket
Old 11 December 2004, 07:58 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if you can still fit the prodrive springs on an '05 WRX if you have the 18" OZ wheels ?