Notices

03 WRX - What springs - Eibach or Prodrive?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2004, 11:50 AM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 03 WRX - What springs - Eibach or Prodrive?

I want to lower the car and sort the bodyroll to some extent. I have talked to Powerstation (who did my geo last time), and they recommend the Eibachs, but lots on here seem to recommend the Prodrive springs ...

Has anybody had this done and how does it affect the feel of the car / what did it cost?

MM
Old 27 July 2004, 12:09 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

200 + fitting for the prodrive ones

much much better, less roll better turn in etc. less roll less understeer etc and barley noticiable added harshness

geommetry afterwards just as important £50-£70

dunno 'bout eibachs
Old 27 July 2004, 12:18 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by papascooby
200 + fitting for the prodrive ones

much much better, less roll better turn in etc. less roll less understeer etc and barley noticiable added harshness

geommetry afterwards just as important £50-£70

dunno 'bout eibachs
Cheers Papascooby - just what I wanted to hear - now just need a couple more testimonials and I can get it booked in .....
Old 27 July 2004, 01:19 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Haven't had the time (or money ) to get mine done yet, but read lots of stuff on here whilst researching. General consensus seems to be that the Prodrives are better, but only by a slight margin. It seems they retain a slightly better low speed ride quality whilst being just as competent as the Eibachs during spirited cornering. Eibach actually make the Prodrive springs, but I'd guess they're not allowed to sell the same spec spring to anyone else due to Prodrives stringent contractual requirements As the cost difference is only small (push your (or any other nearby) dealer for a 10% discount) I'd go for the Prodrives.
Old 27 July 2004, 03:10 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Well I have had Powerstation quote £120 fitting, £60 Geo - all plus Vat - plus whatever springs I choose - but they supply Eibach ....
Old 28 July 2004, 11:27 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
Well I have had Powerstation quote £120 fitting, £60 Geo - all plus Vat - plus whatever springs I choose - but they supply Eibach ....
Correction £140 for the springs + £80 Fitting + £60 Geometry (last time set up with me in the car) all plus Vat!
I think it works out at £329 all in .... as opposed to the £600 Subaru Quoted me!
Old 29 July 2004, 12:39 AM
fuz
Scooby Regular

just got my pro kit delivered for £145 worth the visit to billing
will be fitting them with a little help easy job to do
Old 29 July 2004, 12:07 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fuz
just got my pro kit delivered for £145 worth the visit to billing
will be fitting them with a little help easy job to do
Hi Fuz - where was that from?
Old 09 August 2004, 12:11 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Car is now booked into Powerstation for this Friday - I'll let you all know my thoughts!
Old 15 August 2004, 03:40 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Can u drop me a pm when you had em done please?
I also have an 03 WRX and am looking at springs, but i was more inclined towards the Eibachs till i read this thread.
I aint sure what to do now, lol.
Let me know how it feels please after.
Old 16 August 2004, 02:17 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Had Prodrives since beginning of the year on MY03 WRX wagon. Chose them so as not to affect the warranty - figured there'd be less hassle if any problems arose.
They drop the car by around an inch.
On the road They feel a lot firmer without adding any harshness. I get the impression they travel less to start with - less body roll, less leaping off humps, faster recovery from undulations.
I assume the harshness has been avoided by making the springs progressive, so they start with roughly the same feel and then firm up the more they are weighted up.
I think they're definitely an improvement over the standard set-up, which was wallowy, understeery and vague when pushed.
I do feel sometimes that they still need stiffer shocks - and thats from someone who thought the '98 was over-damped and under-sprung. However that is one of the things I like about the new-age, they don't crash through pot-holes making you wince or tram-line too much - because they're softer. You can't have it all ways. There's always a compromise.
It's on some of the dreadfully maintained back roads that I find the car 'bobs' over dips and humps rather than bounces like it used to. It's a little disconcerting but then the speeds this happens at are questionably high anyway and with the car standard it was truly horrible, bounding around all over. And some of these roads are shockingly bumpy. Still an improvement.
On smooth roads it's a huge improvement with no drawbacks and no compromise in ride quality. It just feels flatter, firmer and generally tightened up.
I've also found that one or two psi in the tyres can make a huge difference to feel of the car. 34 psi on the front, when cold, gives tauter response and turn-in, more feedback and generally just feels better. That's on stock 17"s with 215/45 F1s, which are soft-walled compared to the Bridgestones. I run 32/33 at the rear as I usually have some crap in the boot.

Can't comment on any other springs.

Hope this helps.
Old 16 August 2004, 02:41 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I agree with Jerry B on most if not all what he has said - but my car is on the Eibachs!

They drop the car by around 3/4 to an inch, and in day to day driving they feel a lot firmer without adding much (if any harshness). You just get a slight increase in "knobbliness" but I find this quite reassuring as you can feel more of what the car is doing!

There is much less pitching under acceleration or braking (a little disconcerting until you get used to it) - as well as less body roll, and a faster recovery from big undulations.

They're definitely an improvement over the standard set-up, which was wallowy, soft, vague and would hit the bumpstops when pushed.

I concur with others in that for perfection there are times when they still need stiffer shocks to match them - but you have to be pushing much, much harder!

A huge improvement and IMHO the way the car should have been from the factory ..... basically go get some!!

Like others - I run higher tyre pressures with my standard 17"s with 215/45 F1 GSD3's - 35 front and 33psi rear!
Old 16 August 2004, 02:59 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Seems there's little to choose between those two sets then.
For the money I reckoned that even if I hated them I hadn't lost too much - and the old ones can always be put back on.
I think the geometry settings used were pretty much prodrive settings that came in the box, with just a tad less camber to reduce uneven tyre wear.
I doubt you'll regret it. It took me quite a while to adapt to the '03 being so soft when I got it - I hated it at first.
I had the PPP done at the same time as the springs by the dealer and it was like picking up a different car.
Old 16 August 2004, 04:42 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that info guys
My car is again booked in at TSL for Eibachs, powerflex rear drop links, and a front strut brace. Should make the car awesome then. Then what with thier laser geometry setup i should be well happy.
Them guys at TSL are so damn helpful it is unreal, and it is unbiased help too. I was quizzing them about Prodrive springs too. Nice to know you are actually welcome in the workshop to see what is being done to your car.
Old 16 August 2004, 05:25 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Pleasure - I almost forgot the droplinks as that was the first thing put on my car - next is braided brake hoses .......