Notices

Prodrive springs fitted and........

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2004, 03:51 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive springs fitted and........

I'm left feeling pretty unimpressed. I prefer the original STI set up. The car does feel like it's sat on the road better, has more of a "classic" feel to it but ride quality is poorer for it. The car seems to "bottom out" over dips in the road and I'm not driving it that hard yet.
Loads of people rave about them so am I missing something?
Aesthetically it's better as the wheels fill the arches more but I didn't do it for the look.

I think this is another Scoobynet-must-have mod and like sheep we all follow to our own cost.

Jason (350 quid poorer and not happy)
Old 14 July 2004, 04:48 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

I have MY03STiPPP with 18 PFF7's with the Pirelli PZero Nero's. Had the Prodrive springs fitted and geometry done last week. Different car in my opinion. It has lost 75% of that 'bobbing around' at 80mph. I threw it hard into a couple of corners last night and it was very stable. Much less roll and no understeer, in fact the back end slid out a bit. Should be like this as standard in my opinion, instead of having to shell out for it later. Maybe droplinks and an ARB to complete? Sorry you're not as happy.
Old 14 July 2004, 04:55 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

That was what I was hoping for Hugo which is why I feel disappointed. I'm hoping they take a couple of days to settle in but I doubt it.

Jason
Old 14 July 2004, 09:26 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

it will also depend on your geometry settings,give it a month or so to get used to it-i think the springs need time to settle in in particular the front bumpstops-did the garage fit the stops that come with springs or the old ones?
hugo you need a whiteline arb and droplinks,front strut brace and proper geometry!!!
martin
Old 15 July 2004, 07:57 AM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

WRX03 fitted the prodrive springs last week. Lookswise an improvement- the gap between the front wheel and arch has evened out. Ride is harder but not terribly so. The car rolls less and steering is more direct but not like on my focus.

Had also the prodrive settings done a few days after. I was with the guy the whole time and was actually at the machine so I made sure he dialed in all the correct angles. My tires are GSD3s so everything is fine in that department.

So it came as shock to me when I took the scooby through a series of medium bends and pushed it hard. It was UNDERSTEERING much more than before. Same road before the spring and geometry change I found it much easier to tuck the nose in the apex. Back then it still wanted to understeer but the car was much more predictable and I found it easy to push it hard now the whole car simply washes wide. nearly lost it on two occasions. must be the settings. Can I go back to the original ones with the new springs? Any of you noticed similar behaviour? I am expecting feedback from the suspensions gurus out there cause frankly I am a bit confused.

Last edited by sapkan; 15 July 2004 at 08:04 AM.
Old 15 July 2004, 10:09 AM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Jacee, are you on the standard rims or 18's...?

Most of the posts i have read on these recomend you have 18's, ive got my Prodrive springs just havent had time to get them put on yet... Think I will hold on for a bit.
Old 15 July 2004, 10:32 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

When I had mine fitted, I was on the standard 17" rims (STi7). Handling was definitely improved, reduced understeer, slightly firmer ride but not much different, much more predictable round fast bends etc. Drove the car around Castle Combe track, and it was much quicker around the bends than with the standard springs / setup.

Since then, I've upgraded to 18" rims, (speedline turini), and the handling has improved even more. Feels like it's on rails now.

I've done about 4000 miles on them so far, and have had no problems with bottoming out (or anything like you seem to be experiencing), and this is on a variety of roads from Wiltshire right through to the little roads around North Wales, (with 3 adults sat in the car as well).

Understeer / oversteer problems can be caused or resolved by tweaking the geometry setup. I'd take the car to someone like Powerstation in Cheltenham and get them to check it out as it sounds as though something isn't right...

Iain
Old 15 July 2004, 05:04 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Bah- It's on 17's, sounds like Prodrive recommend a lot of things to get extra money!

Iain- You say your springs gave a firmer ride? I have completely the opposite, original springs gave a much harder ride.
I might give TSL a go with their geometry set up, if that doesn't work then I'll be swapping back to the originals.

Jason
Old 15 July 2004, 05:30 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Definitely firmer Jason, although not drastically so. If you're not experiencing a slightly firmer ride then there's definitely something not quite right. Perhaps the springs are dodgy / not fitted correctly? I noticed a large improvement with my old 17s fitted, (I've only just gone to 18s) so I suppose in theory so should you.

As you say, I'd get TSL to have a look and see if they can do anything to sort it out...

Iain
Old 15 July 2004, 05:49 PM
Gubbins
Scooby Regular

Hi Jaycee - had mine done last week. STI8 with 18's on. All I can say is I think it's a MASSIVE improvement. Forget the cosmetics (although it's a big plus), I can drive with far more confidence and a lot less roll. Can't understand what's happended for you, but there must be something wrong as even my mum thought it was an improvement....! I feel much more "at one" with the car now, if that makes sense.

As for prodrive suggesting things to get more cash, well maybe, but I for one am more than chuffed with the PPP, wheels and spring kit. I admit they're a bit pricey, but still doesn't detract imho.
Old 15 July 2004, 06:47 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your input guys, I think I'll go back to the dealer and have a chat and let them drive it. As it stands at the moment I wouldn't call this a value for money mod but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jason
Old 15 July 2004, 07:26 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Just a small question jaycee, what colour are the springs as STi ones are pink and WRX ones light blue? Has the dealer put the correct ones on as the setup / handling is different for the two cars... Also, AFAIR there's a bump-stop change with the STi ones - are the originals still on?

An even more obvious one - they've got the front and rear the right way round?

I've got Prodrives on my 02 WRX and they are slightly stiffer (which you get used to quickly) but much better at controlling the car
Old 15 July 2004, 10:11 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Apple, the springs are pink/red by the look of it. How would I tell if the bump stops had been changed, apart from asking the dealer? The more info I can get before I go and speak to them the better. Surely they would know how to fit them properly?
To be fair to the garage, they did tell me fitting them would ruin the ride but Mike Wood dismissed this as untrue. See thread further down suspension posted by Tiggers.

Jason