Notices

Got caster?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2004, 05:06 PM
Big Sky WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Got caster?

This seems to one of those often overlooked areas in alignment (probably because the oem setup doesn't allow any adjustment).

The v7 WRX comes w/ ~ 3.5 degrees of positive caster, the v8 STi w/ ~ 4.6 - FHI knew what they were doing. I added Noltec caster/camber plates last year (5.0 caster. -2.2 camber) and the difference was night and day. The additional caster essentially is adding dynamic neg camber- increased grip in turns is very noticable.

The Noltec setup adds roughly 1.5 degrees of caster (and allows for getting 0 cross caster) and ~ 1 degree additional camber (above and beyond the normal got from the oem eccentric bolts).

The Whiteline (and variants) add roughly a .5- .75 degrees of caster.

Good bang for the buck w/ no ill side effects.

Big Sky
Old 28 March 2004, 07:09 PM
Chris_P1
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like an excellent improvment. I was considering the Whiteline anti lift kit but this looks better. Did you get it fitted / supplied in the UK ?

Does it fit a classic ?

Chris

Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX
This seems to one of those often overlooked areas in alignment (probably because the oem setup doesn't allow any adjustment).

The v7 WRX comes w/ ~ 3.5 degrees of positive caster, the v8 STi w/ ~ 4.6 - FHI knew what they were doing. I added Noltec caster/camber plates last year (5.0 caster. -2.2 camber) and the difference was night and day. The additional caster essentially is adding dynamic neg camber- increased grip in turns is very noticable.

The Noltec setup adds roughly 1.5 degrees of caster (and allows for getting 0 cross caster) and ~ 1 degree additional camber (above and beyond the normal got from the oem eccentric bolts).

The Whiteline (and variants) add roughly a .5- .75 degrees of caster.

Good bang for the buck w/ no ill side effects.

Big Sky
Old 28 March 2004, 07:21 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the MRT top mounts on my 1997 Stiv3, great mod!
Old 29 March 2004, 02:51 AM
Big Sky WRX
Scooby Regular

Got mine form AU (where Noltec is manufactured)- I think they actually make MRT's as well.

Yes they will fit early Impreza's as well (same front strut tops). It's nice as you get both caster and camber and get both cross caster/camber to zero.

I was a little concerned about NVH as they are metal tops (w/ urethane), but they don't produce any more harshness than stock.

The ALK is a good addition, but these give a lot more adjustment.

Big Sky
Old 29 March 2004, 06:11 AM
Scooby Regular

I did consider taking my ALK off when I fitted the MRT tops as the range of adjustment is huge. I have solid bushes everywhere on my Sti, and the ALK puts the bushes in bind with each other adding considerable friction to the suspension.
My MRT tops are silent, the groans from the bushes are not!
Old 29 March 2004, 09:13 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Can't you use a lithuim based grease ?

Mark A
Old 30 March 2004, 09:39 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Big sky,

the noltec are exactly what I was looking for.

Can you post a link to where you got them from and how much they were.

I was also told that when using them with standard shocks they add to the ride height. you don't mention which shocks you have so I have no idea if you got around this by having after market coil overs.
Old 30 March 2004, 02:55 PM
Big Sky WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
Big sky,

the noltec are exactly what I was looking for.

Can you post a link to where you got them from and how much they were.

I was also told that when using them with standard shocks they add to the ride height. you don't mention which shocks you have so I have no idea if you got around this by having after market coil overs.
I got mine through a group buy I setup directly from AU (Gavsport), we about 20 folks in the buy and this was before the USD fell on it's face (or the AUd took off-depending on how you look at it).

Don't know where your located but oakos.com carries Noltec stuff for reasonable.

I'm using them w/ v7 STi RA springs/struts. Some have reported a slight increase in ride height up front, I didn't experience that. One reason could be is that you don't need to reuse the domed shaped washer that sits atop of the upper spring perch- some guys reused this and the washer is ~ 1/2" thick- this could explain the ride height differences.

Big Sky
Old 30 March 2004, 03:25 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I am in the UK and wil be using them with standard dampers on a GC8 car albeit with a cusco strutbrace.
Old 30 March 2004, 05:07 PM
Scooby Regular

I did Mark, and the loads are such that it simply displaces over time!
Graham.