Notices

Rear subframe wandering?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2004, 10:20 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear subframe wandering on lift-off?

My new 98 RA is fitted with mechanical LSD's front and rear. When I lift off, even in a straight line, the back of the car wanders slightly to the right. The static alignment has been set by Powerstation and is spot on. It's a bit disconcerting. Could this behaviour be due to soft / perished subframe bushes? I understand Powerflex do an upgrade kit. Could the rear diff be awry?

All advice / suggestions gratefully received.

Last edited by jlanng; 15 March 2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 16 March 2004, 06:09 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, this happened to me on my Stiv3. The fix is realy easy. Whiteline do a rear sub/frame 'kit' to stop this squirming. It is 2 shoulder bolts which bolt the frame very firmly to the shell via the large M12 threaded insets already there.
They can be fitted without jacking the car or removing the wheels even, and the cost is a huge £15 as I remember!
Go to www.whiteline.com.au and they are there. Not sure if Demon Tweeks sell them though, but Scoobymania are still Whiteline dealers I think.
Did you but John Fealsteads fab V5?
Old 16 March 2004, 08:04 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers buddy, thought it was something like that.

Is this the kit that's mentioned here?
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...&threadid=1654

I didn't buy John's lovely STi unfortunately, although I have ended up with two RA's somehow - a 95 and a 98! Suppose I ought to sell one really. The 95 is faster at the moment, but the 98 came with Ohlins Decisions, decisions
Old 17 March 2004, 07:17 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No!
I have also fitted this kit, and it does stop the banging you sometimes get when dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm.....
The bits you need are two steel bolts, M12 in diameter, and they have the main shank parallel, with a large taper 'lead' on them. In the subframe are two 12mm dia holes quite close to the subframe bushes, obviously one each side.
Normally there are no bolts there from the factory, but I think the factory use these locations to assemble the frame accuratly on the tracks as jigging points.

Whiteline say to remove the bolts after 'competition' as the body shell may develop cracks if you leave them in on Austrailian roads(!).
Mine have been in for 12 months/3000 miles, all is well. Vibration is increased, but you have an RA so you won't notice!
Cheap, effective, and they work!
Graham.

ps: my car has nylon type bushes everywhere includind all the rear diff mounts to strap everything down tight, and they make a real difference and are very harsh.