Notices

'Geometry' set up

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2004, 10:51 AM
p1virgin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Geometry' set up

Just had 2 new front tyres and suddenly the car has been pulling to the right. Dealer has now swapped the front wheels over and hopefully that will sort it (according to them!). They also checked whether I wanted a full geometry set up done. I have seen threads on here suggesting it might make a huge difference and the Scooby set up is complicated and prone to needing adjustment. When i asked about it at the local Subaru dealer they looked at me like I had just landed from Mars. It is worth it and where should I get it done? The tyre dealer does appear to have some upmarket kit for this?

Cheers

Paul
Old 14 March 2004, 12:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Dont know which model you have got. If it is a Classic it is worth getting the bump steer removed to improve the grip at the front and to stop the front tyres wearing on the edges. PowerStation in Gloucester will do the full suspension laser setup for you and include the bump steer for a very good price. All done while you wait and they explain it all as they do it. The Whiteline solid anti roll bar links make a very big difference too.

Les
Old 14 March 2004, 11:25 PM
p1virgin
Scooby Regular

Leslie thanks - it's a P1, equivalent, I believe, to an import STi 5. The previous fronts had worn heavily on the insides. The bloke at the tyre dealer showed me the equipment but it only had pre-sets for a UK turbo. Unsure whether the P1 configuration would be the same??

Any other views?

Paul
Old 14 March 2004, 11:31 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

P1, I can highly recommend TSL for geometry setup. My 96 wagon handles like a completely different car after having it done, coupled with a TSL front strutbrace, it goes exactly where you point it.

Skoosh.
Old 15 March 2004, 12:20 AM
andyol1
Scooby Newbie

Default Alignment

Had my95 WRX set by LEDA as folows, checked 1 year later and was still spot on.

Front Camber 1 Degree -ve
Front Toe Zero
Rear Camber 0.5 Degree -ve
Rear Toe Zero

Car goes Ok with no unusual tyre wear on Toyo's

Andy
Old 15 March 2004, 10:54 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Paul

Well it would be well worth getting the bump steer removed, my front tyres wore very heavily on the insides but after the bump steer mod they have worn absolutely flat across the tread and the handling with no understeer now is outstanding. If you are not too far from Gloucester, it is well worth the trip. Quite a few others have had it done too and everyone says the same as I do.

Les

Les
Old 15 March 2004, 01:11 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Any dealer who aims to cure pulling by swapping the wheels round is one to be avoided imho. It seems to be generally accepted that the standard ex-factory Subaru set-up is a) not particularly accurate and b) a compromise in favour of tyre wear over handling. However, whatever the set-up it shouldn't pull if done properly.

Graham
Old 15 March 2004, 10:58 PM
scottste
Scooby Regular

I have a P1, had bump steer and geometry set up at TSL. Highly recommend having it done.
Old 24 March 2004, 12:55 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone had the Powerstation set-up done and raced on those settings? I mean real full-on track racing not a blast down a B road!
I have a hill climb Stiv3 with full whiteline/mrt mods with radical Whiteline settings, interested to try something different. Tyre wear is very flat over all 4 wheels, the car is also driven 3000 mls a year too.
The bump steer mod is by raising the steering rack, but how low is the car when this is done as ride height will change where bump steer 'appears' in the suspension travel.
I'll ask them the same question!
Old 24 March 2004, 04:20 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scottste
I have a P1, had bump steer and geometry set up at TSL. Highly recommend having it done.
Didn't know TSL were doing the bump steer mod as well now ?
Old 24 March 2004, 10:55 PM
highlander
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I would say that it is essential to have the geometry setup correctly if you want the car to perform anywhere near what its capable off!! Depending on where you are in the country I am sure there are plenty of reputable places with the full laser alignment rigs! I have had mine done recently by micheldever Tyres - excellent definitely recommended!! I have the geometry re-done anytime I adjust the suspension as I have noticed definite difference if it is not done properly!!

If you are having uneven wear of the tyres you most definitely need your geometry aligned properly assumming all your suspension and bushes are in tip top condition!!