Notices

Rear ARB diameter?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2004, 03:41 PM
Dibs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear ARB diameter?

Does anyone know the diameter of the standard rear ARB for a MY99 classic and also diameter of the one which comes as part of the Prodrive "professional" suspension kit please?

I want to check which one I have fitted.

Cheers

Dibs
Old 12 March 2004, 05:38 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Stock - 20mm Prodrive Professional - 19mm
Old 15 March 2004, 12:46 PM
Dibs
Scooby Regular

Any idea why the Prodrive one would be smaller? I'd have thought that it would have stiffened the rear end?

I'm looking at getting the 22mm Whiteline adjustable rear ARB. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Dibs
Old 15 March 2004, 12:53 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

The uprated and harder Prodrive springs do the job better and keep each wheel independent so there is no need for a bigger ARB.
JIM
Old 15 March 2004, 01:40 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Question ARB's

Dibs..i am also going to fit the 22mm whiteline ARB to the rear ,along with solid drop links,front ARB and links plus the Whiteline upper strut brace and lower brace.
Has anyone else done the same?
and what difference did it make?

steve.
Old 15 March 2004, 03:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've fitted the Whiteline solid drop links (front and rear) + the adjustable 22m Whiteline ARB (middle setting). I have the Eibach Pro-Kit springs fitted and 17" speedlines on my RB5.

It does make a noticeable difference and you can feel the rear of the car working a lot more. It's a bit strange on long sweeping bends that tighten.

You enter the corner and start feeling the grip levels. You push it some more and the rear pushes down on the suspension. Then it feels like something's push back on the rear of the car and it just grips even more. I guess this is the stiffer ARB transferring the load on to the inside wheel. I'm no expert, but can only say what it feels like through my @rse cheeks

On roundabouts and twisty roads, the difference is very noticeable. The car just has lots more grip and allows you to push out of corners much more quickly. It's quite funny accelerating into, through and out of some corners that passengers expect you to brake into

Whiteline themselves recommend leaving the stock front with their 22mm adjustable set on the middle setting. If you stiffen the front, then you need to stiffen the rear some more by setting the rear on the 3rd setting (outer hole IIRC).

I'm sure the Whiteline site said this provides some more high-speed cornering stability rather than ridding you of any slow speed understeer.

I still have more understeer than I'd like, but I haven't had my geometry setup properly so I'm pretty sure I can sort it that way.

Stefan
Old 15 March 2004, 10:24 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the info ozzy,i also have eibachs fitted with KYB shocks.I am interested in improving the handling so it's suitable for fast road and occasional track day use.
I don't want it to be too hard because the car is my daily transport and my back is not as forgiving as it use to be!!

steve