Notices

Whats recommended for firming it up?

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2001, 12:42 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hey Lee I went for 22mm AntiRoll Bars and solid links, becasue I didn't want to lower my car as that always increase stiffness, and on my roads, thats the last thing I want.

The ARB's are magical, theres is increased harshness but nothing uprated springs would do, and the handling with the Bumpsteer removal mod is amazing. On the road at least the car is neutral, flat with no understeer. On track there is understeer but you have to really push hard.

M

Old 08 October 2001, 01:24 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi everyone! ive got a uk MY00 and its starting to feel a little soft and rolls a little. i do about 28000 a year on mostly A/B roads and want to do a few trackays next year,so i want something that will firm it up with out breaking my back and will also improve handleing on track. will eibachs with the standard shock + bump steer mod sort it or do i need something like leda? is the leda worth the money? cheers Lee
Old 08 October 2001, 08:54 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's all about performance and cost. Eibachs are very good and are cheap - Leda is better and is adjustable to suit whatever setup you require but are not so cheap.

For value for money, I don't think you can beat the Eibachs. I just had them fitted to my MY00 at the weekend and the car is transformed (on the road at least). I also got the anti-lift kit which combined with the Eibachs and Bump Steer make the car a million times better than the OE handling...

Matt
Old 08 October 2001, 10:01 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya Matt! maybe thats the route to go, i spend most of my time on the road and just want to enjoy my car o track now and again, im not going to be competeing so dont know if i could be bothered with all the different settings on the Leda. how does the anti lift work? does it just keep the caar flatter on the road? who fitted your set up? and roughly if you dont mind me asking how much was it for the whole job? ive read good things about the eibachs so might go that way. did you keep the OE shocks, mines done 27000 miles just thought the shocks may be getting tired? cheers Lee
Old 08 October 2001, 03:19 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Lee,

Like MRK I was going to have uprated front & rear anti roll bars & links filled at powerstation but they were out of stock when I had my bump stear done

But the idea still seems sound.

Ian
Old 08 October 2001, 09:21 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Re-bushing the car with eurothane bushes like nolathane etc, makes a massive difference, for example if you do the rear sway bar bushes will give you the same stiffness as going up 2-4mm in size on the sway bar.
Old 08 October 2001, 10:58 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers for the feed back guys! submannz that sounds like a good idea, it shouldnt be to expensive for bushes? if i go for the eibachs, bumpsteer, geomerty, and bushes that should sort out the handleing nicely! i like the look when there lowered so will have to do springs. is powerstation the only company for the bump steer? as trouser seems to be the man for the Eibachs. cheers Lee
Old 09 October 2001, 12:48 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey Submannz I beg to differ.

How can fitting some stiffer bushes increase the roll stiffness the same degree as upping the roll bar diameter by 2mm (20mm standard MY00 to 22mm) Whiteline say this increases the stiffness by 50% .

You will not get that by some plastic bushes. But they will stiffen the car up, and make it more responsive, but by only a few percent as they won't give way like the standard bushes.

LEE - Changing the bushes then going for ARB's at a later date may prove to be more expensive, as the polyurethane or powerflex bushes are £12.95ea (Scoobysport).

There are 2 x bushes holding the ARB + 2 x bushes in each link. I presume you would change them all.

The uprated ARB's with bushes cost £68 front & £108rear + 2pair of links @ £42ea.

'If you had to' change all 6 bushes per standard ARB then that would cost £77.70, not alot cheaper huh!!

IAN try Scoobymania they're ARB kit & Links is the same but were £30cheaper when I bought mine a few weeks ago.

Hope that helps, but get on that phone and ask questions to be sure.

L8rs

M

[This message has been edited by MRK (edited 09 October 2001).]
Old 09 October 2001, 08:46 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by LEE P:
<B>...how does the anti lift work? does it just keep the caar flatter on the road?[/quote]

Yes. Give Powerstation a bell for a more technical explanation but basically, it changes the front suspension arm pickup points which makes the car resist lifting at the front under power which helps reduce understeer when powering out of corners...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>who fitted your set up? and roughly if you dont mind me asking how much was it for the whole job?[/quote]

Powerstation (
Old 14 October 2001, 09:12 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

They stiffen it up so much so that with the same suspension setup I could hardly even move the rear end of my race car compared to before the bushes I could push the rear down about 5 mm.

If you uprate the sway bar and don't do the end links the sway bar will stiffen the car up but only as much as the rubber bushes will allow.

Grab a piece of steel drill a hole in some rubber and poke the steel through, move it from side to side, get a bigger piece of steel and force it through, yes it gets stiffer. Now do exactly the same with say a piece of hard plastic. You do the math doesn't take much for the eurothane bushes to stiffen that up by 50% or so.

Dan
Old 14 October 2001, 09:13 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

If you uprate the sway bar and don't do the end links the sway bar will stiffen, only as much as the rubber bushes will allow.

Grab a piece of steel drill a hole in some rubber and poke the steel through, move it from side to side, get a bigger piece of steel and force it through, yes it gets stiffer. Now do exactly the same with say a piece of hard plastic. You do the math doesn't take much for the eurothane bushes to stiffen that up by 50% or so.
Old 14 October 2001, 09:15 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

If you uprate the sway bar and don't do the end links, the sway bar will stiffen only as much as the rubber bushes will allow.

Grab a piece of steel drill a hole in some rubber and poke the steel through, move it from side to side, get a bigger piece of steel and force it through, yes it gets stiffer. Now do exactly the same with say a piece of hard plastic.
Old 14 October 2001, 09:16 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Old 14 October 2001, 09:19 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

SORRY, when I posted I had an error so didn't think it had posted.