Notices

bump steer

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2001, 01:06 AM
the link
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

i am booked in to powerstation to get my bump steer done this thursday i am well looking forward to it
Old 03 October 2001, 09:14 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Question

Perhaps you wouldn't mind asking them a question or two (and posting the replies!) that have been bugging me...

I'm led to believe that the amount of shimming under the steering rack is specific to each car, which is why you can't do this mod at home. Anecdotal evidence suggests that its between 3mm and 25mm.

So why is it so different? Assuming a proper 4-wheel alignment has been done first(and so everything is exactly in the place designed by Subaru), why is the geometry so different from car to car that in one case you can use a thick washer and in another you need a whacking great spacer?

Secondly, if you only need a thick washer why does such a small difference in the position of the steering rack 'transform the handling', as has often been reported

..or is it that the people that need the one inch spacer are the ones that say the handling is transformed and the ones with the thick washer are those that say they couldn't really tell the difference?

Finally, braking in an improved straight line is often quoted. Is this a direct result of the bumpsteer mod, or is this just due to the anazingly accurate 4 wheel alignment that Powerstation can allegedly do?

Or does anyone else know the answers prior to the link's visit?
Old 03 October 2001, 09:36 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MartinM:
<B>...Secondly, if you only need a thick washer why does such a small difference in the position of the steering rack 'transform the handling', as has often been reported...[/quote]

Because you only need to make very small changes to make a vast difference when it comes to geometry.

For more details answers and info, do a search in Suspension as there is loads and loads of good info waiting for you...

Matt
Old 03 October 2001, 07:13 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

But the question still remains - why is it different from car to car...and I don't believe this has been dealt with previously

Martin
Old 03 October 2001, 08:51 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Martin,

I'd guess that only the guys at Powerstation can give you a full and proper answer. If your considering the mod, why not have a chat to them about it?

greg