Notices

Rolling, Rolling, Rolling... (Impreza Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2001, 04:50 PM
The Woodman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone one got any good suggestions up their sleive as to how I can reduce the body-roll/understeer on my MY99 Sport? I believe Eibach springs will stiffen things up and lower the car by an inch or so? What are other options?

Excuse the basic knowledge, but I'm fairly new to the Impreza game (9 months). I'd like to go round corners in a more composed fashion!!!

Graham
Old 18 June 2001, 02:42 PM
Subie Gal
Scooby Regular

Wink

Eibach springs, your definition is right on...

also, the P1 set up - springs/struts
H&R springs, different struts...

there are many options out there for you to choose from....

first you need to decide how low is too low...
how much you are willing to spend....
and what kind of ride, optimum, you'll be going for...

then you can begin researching the different set ups... from springs, to struts and springs, to coilover set ups...

confused??? yeah... i totally understand why too...

j.
Old 18 June 2001, 03:32 PM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thicker anti-roll bars front and back could be an option with the Eibachs.

Others know alot more about this then I do (Harj & Stef), but I'm sure these sort out the body roll quite a bit.

Old 19 June 2001, 12:38 PM
Jaz
Scooby Regular

I am running Eibachs on my MY96 Sport. Together with the Bump steer and geometry mods it transformed the the car into something that really goes around corners, without spending a fortune. Obviously it depends how much you want to spend.

John
Old 19 June 2001, 01:32 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Easiest way to help is fit larger wheels and tyres, at least 16" but preferably 17".

Not the cheapest way but there are plenty of people out there with 17" Supertoursimo wheels that would like to fit 4 pots. Perhaps you could use the brakes as well!

Mike
Old 19 June 2001, 01:39 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

1) IMHO I would definately get a new rear anti-roll bar, assuming the Sport's A/R bar is thinner than the Turbo's. This will make the car stiffer in roll and help keep the geometry in check when cornering.
2) New springs and dampers would be a must too. Whether you go for lowered springs is personal pref. If you want max performance then lowering the the way to go, and makes the car look better. However, if you need ground clearance, then lowered springs can be a pain since you'll deck out your exhaust on bit speed bumps and rough tracks, etc. A good option that quite a few have gone for are 2nd hand MY99 or MY00 springs and dampers. I think they're stiffer than your Sport ones. But if you want the lowered option, you are right in suggesting Eibach springs with Bilsteins as a good option, although Leda's are considered by many to be the best setup.
3) After this is done, you should sort your geometry settings, either "prodrive" settings which give better initial "bite" on turn in and less understeer bias, or go the full monte and get the PowerStation bumpsteer removal mod. which gets rave reviews.

Hope this helps,

Andy
Old 19 June 2001, 04:39 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

as Jaz says, You could do an awful lot worse than Eibachs and a decent geometry set up. We have transformed many a car this way. if the budget allows, pop a strut brace on, of some variety and then off you go

In terms of grins per £.... hard to top!

Cheers

Paul, TSL Motorsport
Old 19 June 2001, 11:56 PM
Jaz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Must agree with Mike the next mod I carried out were fitting 2nd hand 17" speedlines £180
+ Toyo's.
This will then allow you to fit some dirt cheap 2 pots and so sort out your braking as well