Notices

Koni

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2001, 02:31 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fancy some new suspension & considering the below, any comments on choice would be welcome, budget of around £500-600

What the best price poeple have paid for Koni adjustable struts ?

Are the bilstiens any cheaper ? or much more expensive ?
Old 24 March 2001, 04:43 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Mark, just put konis on mine, cost was £120 each insert . Unfortunatly koni dont do a complete strut. It involves drilling the bottom of the strut to release the gas pressure( try to avoid gettin getting a fine film of oil squirted on yourself, that smells like fermented animal fat!!). The next stage is to cut the strut body open with a hacksaw. Theres instructions and measurements included. Its not too much hassle, took about half hour per corner to do this including building up with the new insert. As koni dont sell it as a kit, choice of springs is up to you. I have got Eibachs, which dont lower very much....10mm max. Not bothered about that, as wanted to keep some of the compliance of the standard set up. Results are very impressive, comfort is if anything better, but turn in and lack of body roll are excellent. I am running them on lowest seting at the moment, with half a turn its like a go kart, still with good compliance.Downsides, if any are the need to have to remove the rear seats to carry out any adjustments, but when you find a setting you are happy with theres no need to adjust anything until maybe a track day or whatever.Obviously the range of adjustment is not as sophisticated as something like the Leda set up( bump and rebound) but for 99% of people who spend 99%of their driving time on public roads with occasional track day use, its ideal as far as I am concerned.
The Bilsteins are obviously top quality also. The only thing that put me off was the lack of adjustability, in that if I put the kit on and it was too hard for road use, you're stuck with it. Other threads indicate that Bilstein are bringing out an adjustable coil over kit, which might be worth waiting for.Best of luck,Mark

[This message has been edited by mark245 (edited 24 March 2001).]
Old 26 March 2001, 01:11 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would wait until April when the new Adjustable (I think) Billies will be available. I'm sure these will be loads better than the Koni's. They are rumoured to be around the £750 mark for a set of 4 which is in your ballpark....

Matt.