Notices

Suspension kits and bits

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2001, 02:09 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been reading the posts on the bumpsteer mod and anti-lift kits and the like and it seems there's a lot of people about who have gone for suspension improvements of one kind or another. I have problems with understeer on my MY95 WRX and don't know what to do for the best in getting it sorted. The bumpsteer mod sounds pretty good, but then there are a load of other bits and pieces available to improve the handling. I've also seen things like a full LEDA kit from scoobysport for about a grand plus vat. If I was to go for a full kit like this would it make more of a difference than getting a number of smaller mods done, or is it possibly a waste of cash ? I am only using the car for fast road, but would like to be able to go fast into a roundabout and not have any fear of not coming out the other side (have had a couple of hairy moments already !). Any help/guidance much appreciated.
Old 13 March 2001, 02:57 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

The opinions on the Bump Stear mod seem to suggest its a great way to remove understeer for the price of 2.5 tanks of petrol.

If moneys no object - the leda suspension is fantastic. I test drove a car fitted with one - my car felt all wallowy by comparison. Loads more grip - no tracking over the bumps on the road - just a bit firmer. However, if £1000 is a lot to you, do you really need the grip? Are you a richard burns type who drives on the limit all the time. If not, and you arent thinking of track days (then the leda woud be awesome!) the bump steer would be well worth it. Have you considered driving tuition? Don Palmer does an excellent event called "the wetter the better". Youd learn loads about understeer there!!! Search for other threads on the subject.

Jza

Old 13 March 2001, 03:12 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

I went for the bumpsteer mod as I didn't want to replace the standard springs/dampers. I'm too tight to replace something that isn't worn-out!

Personally, I would start by setting a budget and then figure out how many bits you are willing to change. Decide whether you are "building" a track car or a road car, what is best suited to one isn't always best suited to the other (hence the eternal STi vs P1 threads ).

If you're planning something big, like a LEDA suspension kit, then I would hold off on the smaller things like the bumpsteer mod and any anti-lift kits until afterwards - as they will probably need refitting or readjusting.

What wheels & tyres are you running and at what pressures? It all comes into the equation. No point in spending over a grand on suspension if you fit crap tyres.

Driver tuition wouldn't hurt either, and it's freely transferrable to any car you drive!! Seriously, it seems a lot of FWD drivers complain of understeer with AWD.

In the end, it's an exponential curve - you have to spend larger and larger amounts of money to get smaller and smaller improvements.

If you're planning some serious changes, then I would suggest turning up to one of your local Scooby meetings and blagging a passenger ride other people's cars and make the comparisons yourself. In the end, you have to live with it, so don't spend a grand on something you hate!!
Old 13 March 2001, 04:26 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Ken,

I had the same problem as you - I wasn't happy with the handling so decided to start at the bottom and increase spending until happy (94 WRX).

I got an anti-lift kit and solid rear sway bar links - see
Old 13 March 2001, 04:55 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

To be honest I don't really want to spend a grand on it if I don't have to, it seems possible to spend grands on goodies so I would like to target the spend as well as possible. There are other things I would like to go for too such as better brakes.
Currently running on 205/50 x 16 Dunlops (as supplied with the car) with 33psi front and 30 rear. I imagine SO2s or F1s would improve, but again not sure how much. If they make a major improvement then maybe new treads and a few little mods would be all I need.
I'm not doing any track days but am interested in driving tuition as I know I'm not making the most of the car right now. Can anyone recommend somewhere in the North West ?
Maybe I should consider Gavin's route of a few bits plus a better set of tyres ?

Cheers

Ken
Old 13 March 2001, 07:18 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Ken,

I have an MY94 WRX and was also thinking about doing my suspension at some point.

First thing I did tho was to fit 17" alloys (if you haven't got them already). I opted for gold Prodrive ST2's. They made a *massive* difference (Yokohama A539's).

I then changed the Yoko's to Toyo Proxes and the difference was staggering, *definately* think about wheels and rubber before suspension imho. The car will look much better and feel great.

Next thing was a genuine STi carbon fibre strut brace, again the difference was huge, car is much stiffer, much happier through the twisty bits. I got mine fairly cheap (£130 inv vat) from Midland Impreza in Nuneaton.

If you do go for the suspension keep us posted

ta,
Matt

[This message has been edited by mattski (edited 13 March 2001).]
Old 13 March 2001, 07:20 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Oh, and whilst I think about it...

Go and get the Prodrive geometry settings done, a good noticable bang-per-buck change. (only about £40/£50).

The settings can be found on the sidc faq:
Old 13 March 2001, 07:23 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Ken, a cheap mod is to get one of the later thicker) rear anti roll bars, which helps with understeer( MY 97 onwards, I think) which is a straight bolt on job. As mentioned, the sold rear drop links from Scoobymania are very good, and the anti lift kit is excellent. I got fed up with a bit too much NVH in the cabin and took them off, but they certainly work. Just fitted Koni adjustable inserts to the struts which are pretty impresive, with Eibch springs. On lowest setting, better ride then standard, but turn in and roll resistance much better.Only fitted them at the weekend so still experimenting with settings, but definatly the best mod i've carried out on the car. Ithink the anti roll bars and links are a good way to head, as it wil enhance anyhing you add in the future, be it Leda or whatever,
Mark
Old 14 March 2001, 09:26 AM
Kundra
Scooby Newbie

Mark,

I've just had fitted Whiteline front and rear ARB's, anti lift kit and the bumpsteer mod. I have ordered the Whiteline solid rear links from Scoobymania, what do you mean by "a bit too much NVH in cabin"