Notices

Understeer

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2001, 09:45 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone help, is it worth getting the pro-drive settings and possibly the bump steer sorted out?
I've got a 2001 (old shape, but as far as I'm concerned the better shape. Takes me back to my mark 4 cortina days), had it for around 2 months and have been dis-appointed with understeer when approaching corners / roundabouts at high speed. Went back to Tileys (Bristol) who supplied it, they had a road test and said that it feels normal, and maybe I might be entering corners to quickly, expecting to much from the car. Had discussing about changing suspension settings and bump steer, but didn't think they understood completely. Just as well cause I don't either!!

I've had countless fast ford (sorry boys and girls, my favourite being the RS2000 MKii), and am disappointed with the handling compared to the RS2000. The Impreza doesn't seem to want to turn into the corner correctly. Is it me ? or do I need to have the suspension adjusted or even modified with new ones.

Any comments would be greatfully recieved, and yes the Impreza Turbo, is the best car I've ever owned. I glad I didn't go for an E class or the Lexus 200!!!

Cheer Phill Cocking

P.S The support that Tileys have given me so far, is far superior to anything I ever experienced with a Ford or infact any other garage! Keep up the good work.

[This message has been edited by babber (edited 04 March 2001).]
Old 04 March 2001, 10:56 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Sounds like you enjoy your driving and in that case will enjoy the bump steer mod. Give Powerstation a call to discuss your problem.

It may be that you just need the geometry setup to spec., even brand new cars usually have the settings way out. Accurate alignment is critical to the handling of these cars.

Cheers

Ian
Old 04 March 2001, 11:33 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

I agree with Ian, call/visit powerstation for the bumpsteer and 4 wheel alignment.
It will probably be the best £117.50 you spend on your car.
It will probably only take you 30mins to get there ( Cheltenham )

Jon
Old 05 March 2001, 09:09 AM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

hi
i too find my scoob suffers from understeer, i have had various opel mantas over the last 12 years, i plan to visit powerstation next month to get the bumpsteer mod done
mark
Old 05 March 2001, 01:38 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Phill,
I also had a RS2000 mk2 and always prefered rear wheel drive "action". I have had bumpsteer and geometries done at top place powerstation. World of difference. If you mail me then you can try my car as i also live in bristol. Alternativly, ask dave the head machanic at Tilly's for my number and where i work and he will tell ya. There are a few scooby owners in the area who enjoy driving. The exmoor run is due april 8th. Check southern section and search for exmoor
Regards
Ian
Old 05 March 2001, 02:07 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks all, yes I do enjoy my driving so it's a trip to power station for the mod / Check over. I've been there before with a friend and his P1, but can't remember exactly where it is. Does anyone have the telephone number and Web site details to hand please.

Cheers Phill
Old 05 March 2001, 02:37 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Phill,

Website is:
Old 05 March 2001, 06:04 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks all.
Old 05 March 2001, 06:43 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I'm not trying to slag off your driving abilities ( I'd bet money you're better than I am) but a 4wd car obviously handles differently to a fwd or rwd.
Old 05 March 2001, 07:45 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Andy W your probably right!!! No offence taken mate, thanks for the information.

It's just all the pictures you see of imprezas on track days, they all or almost all appear to be struggling for grip on the front end.

I did check the tyre pressure today and found them all to be higher than expected. Cause I do quite a bit of motorway driving and carry a load have set them to 33 psi all round.

It has made a noticeable difference to the grip on the front (the tyres were at around 40 psi, 35 on the back). I still think I'll go to powerstation for the mod, NOZZER has offered to let me try his before I spend the money on mine.
Old 05 March 2001, 08:21 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, a awd does handle different but if you are used to a rwd it is nice to get a scooby not to understeer. It is now the best car i have ever driven as far as handling. Definatly the best mod i have done to my car and i have done a few!!
Ian
Old 05 March 2001, 09:22 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Nozzer, Have sent an e-mail to you on the aol emails address, hope you've got it. I would love to try your car, that would be splendid!!!

My RS2000 was a little modified (5 link, etc)cornering in the wet and even snow like it was on rails. Have since read an article on AWD car balance that surprised me a little.

I do want to take my car on an airfield / track to explore the cornering characteristics.

Am a bit out of touch these days. Probably due to the fact that I've got four daughters under 7.... They all love the Scooby, but there again they cried when the galaxy (last car) went back. Wifes also been known to boot it (and scared herself)...

Thanks everyone for the advise and help.

Cheers Phill Cocking
Old 05 March 2001, 09:46 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Just one more praise to Powerstation, go and get the bumb steering sorted out. I changed to a MY99 scooby after 25 years in Alfa Romeo cars, and was very disappointed about the handling. I did the trip from Paris to Powerstation, and now the handling is as good as my old Alfa's. And they are great.
On my first track day in France with the new steering, there was 2 more Scoobys on the track, one claiming he had 260HK. He didn't understand how a standard scooby was able to beat im lap by lap.

Lars
Old 05 March 2001, 10:04 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I was gonna post the very same question except mine is a 93 wrx and I've only had fwd cars before but the scoob doesn't inspire confidence when approaching a bend. Coming out of a bend is a different thing altogether, plenty of grunt/traction. It's just that understeering on a wet roundabout at 30 is a bit scary. Thought it was just me but obviously not. Powerstation here I come!
Old 05 March 2001, 10:32 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

It's great, get it done, this is how the car should have been supplied. My car does not understeer anymore - 4 wheels drifts only.
Old 06 March 2001, 09:08 AM
drabels
Scooby Newbie

A couple more things worth trying, if you still find the car understeering:

1/ Fitting the Anti-Lift Kit

2/ Fitting a heavy duty rear anti-roll bar (sway bar)

I fitted these items about a week ago.

It has totally transformed the car, it's now possible to boot it mid-corner and the front will turn-in and drag the car out!

Also, get some camber dialed into the front wheels (as much as possible, as it seems the front suspension cannot handle much more than 1 degree or so - stock standard.)

Regards,

Daniel.
Old 06 March 2001, 09:12 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Another thumbs up for Powerstation....they are the boys indeed!!!!!!!!!!

You'll love the BSM - it's fab

Matt.
Old 06 March 2001, 10:04 AM
dela
Scooby Regular

Its worth noting that tyres play a big part in this aswell. Not many people rate the standard Bridgestones that come with UK cars, before having the bump steer mod done to my car, I changed tyres to Goodyear Eagles. There was a noticeable difference.

Having done a trackday recently and swapping back to my old tyres, the re-introduction of understeer was very noticeable.

Bump steer and geometry play a big part, but if your tyres don't cut the mustard?
Old 06 March 2001, 11:44 AM
Deputy Dog
Scooby Regular

To confirm with tyres, the standard bridgestone RE010's are just OK, but you'll find a big improvement with either SO2's or Eagle F1's, saying that I'm still gonna have the BSM done.
Old 06 March 2001, 02:50 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

I have to disagree with the tyres comments (sorry !) I run SO2's on the road an cheapies (Capitol) on the track and I don't get anymore understeer with the cheapies (just less grip overall)

Gary
Old 06 March 2001, 03:16 PM
Deputy Dog
Scooby Regular

Gary,
Dont mean to offend but it must be my car then, since Ive fitted the SO2's over the RE010's the car turns and bites more, rather than sliding on. ie less understeer, it's more pronounced in the wet.
Old 06 March 2001, 09:01 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Boys, to much information and possible expenses, played around with tyre pressures and what a differents it makes.

Like the idea of going to power station and getting the pro-drive settings plus the bump steer conversion done!!!

Would also like to drive Nozzer car, plus to drive drabels car would be nice, but can do a trip to Bristol, Gloucester even Newcastle no problem, but Australia ?

I'm not getting Lary here, but I have a two month old Scooby that I love almost as much as my wife, company car!!, but don't want to change tyres and this and that, just to be able to enter a corner with confidence!!!

I need clear and consise information. I haven't got thousands of pounds to waste getting this minor issue sorted out.

Hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way, but have a problem and need you boys help to overcome it.

Once again many thanks, and sorry to sound Lary (Bristol saying!!)

Cheers Phill Cocking
Old 06 March 2001, 10:54 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by babber:
<B>I'm not getting Lary here, but I have a two month old Scooby that I love almost as much as my wife, company car!!, but don't want to change tyres and this and that, just to be able to enter a corner with confidence!!!

I need clear and consise information. I haven't got thousands of pounds to waste getting this minor issue sorted out.[/quote]

OK then. Here it is - straight and simple. Go to Powerstation, they will change your front and rear toe in, front camber settings (to ones more desirable for someone who wants a more "direct" front end). They will also give you the Bump Steer Mod which will remove the "dialed in" understeer when the suspension is loaded up which makes turn in a) much more predictable and b) enables you to push much harder through a given bend.

They will then let you take it for a spin to make sure you are happy with it. Then, when you come back with a huge grin on your face, you will hand over a measly £117 and go away a happy man.

There you are. Simple!!!

Matt.
Old 07 March 2001, 06:55 PM
Neil Reay
Scooby Regular

Smile

Phil

There was a good explanation of the Bump Steer mod in this forum a couple of weeks ago. Worth a read.
Old 07 March 2001, 10:49 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Phil,

Don't forget the Exmoor, you'll love it.

From what I hear you saying, personally, I think it's your driving style(don't mean any offence). I've had my Scoob for nearly four years now, and it does take a while to get used to steering it from the REAR. Certainly roundabouts are the place to induce understeer as its easy to enter at too fast a speed. My car has Leda suapension and Prodrive settings plus SO2 x 17" and still I can induce understeer fairly easily on roundabouts.

The scoobs benifits from the classic - slow in fast out approach with smooth and small inputs to the wheel and throttle. It's easy to statr getting understeer and prolong it by giving it a bootfull.

Try - next you enter a roundabout a bit too quickly for the front to bite - back off to induce a bit of lift off oversteer to tighten your line(you need to find a roundanbout you know well to start with)and then reapply throttle and power out of bend.

Scoobs are very adjustable on a trailing throttle.

Steve.
Old 08 March 2001, 12:34 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Question

I've heard alot of great stuff about Powerstation but I unfortunately live in Essex, a long way away

Does anybody know of a place locally that can do this Bumpsteer mod??

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated

Mark
Old 08 March 2001, 12:37 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

** WARNING **

Please don't go out and kill yourselves trying the hammer it in and use lift off oversteer approach as mentioned by Steve... As with everything, it's best to start slow and build up confidence and competence in equal quantities rather than going in at your typical "i get understeer this quick" speeds and lifting off completely... Many scoobies have met their ends because of inappropriate lift-off oversteer.

** WARNING OVER, NORMAL SERVICE RESUMED **
Old 08 March 2001, 10:17 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

I agree that driving style does come into it. If you accelerate and then steer, the car is likely to understeer. Better to steer first and then accelerate.
Old 08 March 2001, 06:33 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Moray,

Fair comment, I agree.

I didn't mean at speeds that would cause the rear to swap ends but to build up gradually, learning about the rear steering characteristics the car has and using them.

Steve.
Old 08 March 2001, 06:58 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MRK:
<B>I've heard alot of great stuff about Powerstation but I unfortunately live in Essex, a long way away

Does anybody know of a place locally that can do this Bumpsteer mod??
[/quote]

I don't think anybody else does it. It's not that far - a couple of hours max. Go on - you know it makes sense...

Powerstation have got some fairly fancy 4 wheel alignment kit which is worth the trip for.

Matt.

Quick Reply: Understeer