Notices

ARB's.....My Opinion (finally!)

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2000, 02:07 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

As some of you know I was trying out front and rear anti-roll bars and drop links from Scoobymania for the first time at Donno last week. I have tended to stay away from thee becasue I have always been happy with the way my car was handling. Like the bump-steer mod though, I wish I'd done it yonks ago!
I'm sorry for the delay is posting my opinion, but for those of you that are interested, here it is......

I was running the full set-up (bar an anti-lift kit as I wanted to try this seperately).
This comprised of both thicker front and rear anti-roll bars, the rear one being the adjustable type (and set on the middle hole), and solid drop links front and rear.
They were supplied by Scoobymania and fitted by TYRES Northampton (thanks guys ).
I am not able to give a in-depth opinion of how they felt on the road, as it was wet for the whole two weeks I had them on. There was a definite reduction in roll on my favourite roundabouts, but I really couldn't push the car too hard so can't really draw any conclusions.
Donington though was a different matter. Outright grip was greatly improved, especially on the sweeping bends like Craner. As a result, there was also a noticeable reduction in tyre squeal. As a result of this, there was a definite reduction in tyre wear. I managed to get through the day using one set of part worns, which is definitely a first considering the sideways action the car was seeing!
There was a slight trade-off for this extra grip though. As some of you know, I had a few spins at Donno ( so what's new? ). It transpires that this extra front-end grip makes the rear of the car less forgiving, in a similar way that the bump-steer mod does I guess. I don't think it would cause problems under normal circumstances, again like the bump-steer mod, but in excessive circumstances (like when the car is 'thrown' into a bend! ) the back snaps with a much greater ferocity. Nice if you were expecting it, a trip onto the grass if you're not!
As I've said, this only caught me by surprise becasue I wasn't expecting it, but once I'd become used to the way the car broke away it actually made the slides far more controllable. Still, seeing as most of you don't partake in such activities (because you're all senssible) this won't bother you too much.
I was hoping to give a better indication of their all-round performance and differences between the settings on the rear bar, but will have to wait until CK1's back on the road.
So all in all, an excellent upgrade if you want that extra feeling of stability and grip, especially considering the price (approx £200 for everything plus fitting).
Bear in mind I also have Eibach springs and the bump-steer mod, so you may not experience the exact improvements I have. I don't see how anyone couldn't benefit though to be honest.
Anti-lift kit will be the next thing to try I suppose.

Stef.
Old 23 November 2000, 06:02 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Stef, thanks for that. You do a great job testing bits and pieces that we're all interested in. (I'm having the bump-steer mod at the weekend.) The Scoobymania roll bars and the anti-lift kit are also on my list of winter upgrades.

Hope CK1 gets better soon. I wonder if adjusting the rear roll bar will help control oversteer? Very interested in the anti-lift kit, too.

Cheers,

Hoppy

[This message has been edited by Hoppy (edited 23 November 2000).]
Old 23 November 2000, 06:15 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cheers Stef,
Look forward to more news when CK1 is back - but until then - was the improvement in front end grip greater than the improvement in rear end grip (hence the spins)? I like the ease in which std scoobies can be controlled when sliding, and would be interested to see the difference the ARBs would make.
Old 24 November 2000, 08:18 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Interesting - I've got a similar setup to Stef + I've got the ALK.

ALK + misc. bits
Eibach springs
Uprated Rear ARB
Bump Steer removed
17" wheels with SO2's

Then decided to try a thicker front ARB before Donnington. Result was that the car understeered like a pig (especially in the wet and especially on the slower tighter corners + roundabouts). Adjusted the rear to the other 2 settings to experiment - still just as bad. I can't really comment on the higher speed corners but on the twisty stuff, in the wet, and on roundabouts it definitely understeered and front end grip was significantly reduced. These were observations from my favorite backroads, roundabouts etc.

In the end I put the original front ARB back on and set the uprated rear to its tightest setting - took the car back out - much better! The following day at donnington I was deliberately sliding it sideways - all very controllable and adjustable.

Speaking to Powerstation, SAS etc. seems to be that uprating the front ARB will ultimately provide more grip and stability on high speed corners but more understeer in the wet and the slower corners.

These are just my experiences and at the end of the day - my setup suits my way of driving (probably Cr*p ).

Rich.
Old 24 November 2000, 11:51 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it true that the ALK causes a bush to sit an a funny angle and thereby places permanent and premature stress on it and associated components?
Old 26 November 2000, 11:06 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

It is indeed true that the ALK does cause the front lower wishbone bush to sit at a slightly different angle. The angle change brought about by the ALK is not acute.

We have direct assurances from the manufacturer, that regardless of this, that no undue side affects, component failures (or increased wear rates)have materialised or been encountered by them as a result of the different angle of the bush.

Mike.
Old 27 November 2000, 04:15 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I will do my next track event with the origianl front arb on to see what the difference is. I wanted to just try the rear one last time but forgot!
Once I've decided which way I prefer I will then try the anti-lift kit.

Stef.