Notices

Eibach's/Koni's - good stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2000, 05:53 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my MY00 back from having Eibach's and Koni's fitted (thanks to Mike's Dad, another great job!). Yee-Hah! Fantastic roadholding at no cost to comfort - perfect!

I had just the Eibach's on a MY99 last time, mainly due to concerns over the Koni's making it too firm. While I was very happy with that set-up, logic dictated that if changing a coil of compressable metal with a better quality one brought such improvements, imagine what changing to a higher quality damper as well might bring!

I've got them set at softest currently and it basically doesn't feel any firmer over bumps than OE, just more controlled. I guess I may even firm it up a notch after a few thousand k's

Thanks again to Mike - especially for *running-in* my car last night If anyone in Switzerland needs work on a Scooby, his Pop has a lot of experience with them now!

Richard
Old 22 November 2000, 08:51 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Hi Dowser!

I`am just awaiting for Eibachs. Koni damp want buy only at spring when winter gone. Is your car significantly lower now or only cca. 1-1.5cm?

Erik
Old 22 November 2000, 11:24 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi Erik

Yeah, it's dropped about the same as last set of Eibach's I had. I'd estimate 20mm, but haven't measured it. I guess it may settle a little too.

Why wait 'til spring - on softest setting ride is more controlled then OE items...meaning better grip..even in snow!

Koni state that softest setting for all their adjustables is equivalent firmness of the OE damper - I can confirm this. Too often (IMHO!) people equate firmness with good handling.....sometimes it's true....but depends on circumstances...it's certainly not in snow

Richard
Old 22 November 2000, 01:03 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Richard

good to hear that you're pleased with the work and setup. But wait till you adjusted it to the specification I gave you. You will wonder how you could stand the "soft" setup
Nice dragster start yesterday, I'm still deaf Luckily today I just had to pass the theory test and not my advisory and presentation skills were tested.
Great sound thogh

Cheers
Mike
Old 24 November 2000, 05:58 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Just a brief update - this set-up is incredible! Over the last 500 k's or so it's just gotten better and better.

It now doesn't seem to matter how uneven the road surface....the tyres just stay glued to the road with no fuss.

Anyone looking for increased performance (or, indeed, increased comfort) for their Scoob could do a lot worse

Mike - yeah, I know...but that'll wait 'til spring!

Richard

[This message has been edited by dowser (edited 24 November 2000).]
Old 27 November 2000, 10:18 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Thanks for advise. And what kind of geometry you use Prodrive or OE setting?
Old 30 November 2000, 05:52 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Sorry - been away. Prodrive settings.

Richard
Old 30 November 2000, 08:39 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Eibachs still not arrived. But I have read lot about MY98 dampers+Eib. and may be due softer dampers like on MY99 I shall have to change dampers and springs at once. F*** it will be expensive but nice Xmas gift!