Notices

STI IV suspension on MY95?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 1999, 06:12 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is STI IV suspension (springs + dampers) suitable to fit onto a MY95 car?
i.e.
1. Will they physically fit?
2. Would they would drastically improve the handling?

I have a bog std MY95 and want to control body roll without loosing too much versatility of the std setup. Comfort is not my first concern; but performance on bumpy roads and decent-enough ground clearance is important - I'm not using the car for track days.

Any help you be really cool, cheers

Andy
Old 10 September 1999, 09:15 AM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Anybody out there?
Old 10 September 1999, 09:44 AM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Dave for the suggestions, from one of your previous postings I kinda figured that a new roll bar was the way to go.

But I've heard a lot about fitting new nylon bushings - what are the disadvantages of them; i.e. why doesn't everybody use them?

May be a bit of a naive question, but why don't car manufactures spec them as standard if they are so good?

Maybe other people have had experiences with power bushings or other types?
Old 10 September 1999, 09:55 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

The nylon/powerflex bushes increase harshness and transmit more road noise, which is why the manufacturers don't use them. Saying that, I have them fitted to my car and didn't really notice any difference in noise levels, or any harshness in the steering/suspension feedback. I also have the bigger (22mm rear and 20mm front) anti roll bars from MRT and they made a huge difference to overall handling with most of the roll gone!
Old 10 September 1999, 10:06 AM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Steve

most people who have upgraded roll bars have invariably gone for upgraded nylon bushes. Do you think there are big advantages to be had from upgrading roll bars but staying with the standard (rubber?) bushes?

BTW. What size is the std front roll bar? and was it only the rear roll bar that was uprated in MY97?
Does anyone know what diameter or WRXs and STI roll bars are compared with std models?
Old 10 September 1999, 10:08 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there,

I should have a set of rear anti roll bar links (plastic things) with uprated powerflex bushes coming up for sale soon (maybe)

Cheers,

J.
Old 10 September 1999, 03:44 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

Just a quick point re: upgraded bushes.

You most definately do not want to fit nylon bushes to your car. They are basically completely solid, and will cause big problems with transmission of vibrations and increased wear, as the failure to absorb vibrations places greatly increased shock loads on suspension components. Nylon bushes are normally used on track cars where a) the surface is very smooth, b) maintenance of static geometry is paramount and c)you don't sit in it for too long.

If you need upgraded bushes, go for Powerflex polypropelene (sp) bushes. Polypropelene can have it's modulus of elasticity altered to provide consistant degree of elasticity, compared to rubber bushes which degrade in a short space of time.

Sorry - not trying to be pedantic, just pointing out that you want polypropelene bushes not nylon ones.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 10 September 1999, 04:11 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Alex,

Point taken - I think I meant poly' ones not nylon ones. I don't think you're being pedantic - just acurate.

Andy

PS. Does anyone have a rear MY97 roll bar for sale?