Notices

Suspension on STI5 saloon

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 1999, 01:49 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Got sti5 2 months ago. At the start steering wheel was slightly to left when driving in a straight line. Told importer, he had tracking/4 wheel alignment done, since then it is the same, but also pulls slightly to the left.

garage used the same settings as a 95 UK Subaru, is this right - i.e the same for my import.

This is pissing me off at the moment to such an extent that I may have to sell the car, which I don't want to

Any responses would be good
Old 14 September 1999, 03:13 PM
Russell Haley
Scooby Regular

Steve

I had the same problem on my MY99 - pulled to the left which got more and more irritating as time went by.

I eventually got it sorted, but speaking to other owners it seems that the car is particularly sensitive to front suspension settings especially with Bridgestone SO2s.

Make sure the set up is exactly the same both sides, not just "within spec" which gives quite a range of possible difference, especially in camber.

Russ
Old 14 September 1999, 03:18 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steve,

I would guess that your steering wheel isn't attached straight, and that the alignment wasn't quite up to scratch. Both should be easy to sort out.

There was a thread on the BBS earlier about how variable the alignment performed by some tyre shops was. The consensus was that Michealdever (sp?) knew what they were doing, had good alignment equipment, well trained staff and knew Imprezas. They also could correct alignment problems with the rear suspension, which normally isn't adjustable by correcting the mounting of the rear subframe.

Your car will track to the left with perfect suspension alignment anyway thanks to the cambering of the road surface. This could well not be a fault at all.

Rgds,

Alex