ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   STI IV suspension on MY95? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/30220-sti-iv-suspension-on-my95.html)

andyp 09 September 1999 06:12 PM

Is STI IV suspension (springs + dampers) suitable to fit onto a MY95 car?
i.e.
1. Will they physically fit?
2. Would they would drastically improve the handling?

I have a bog std MY95 and want to control body roll without loosing too much versatility of the std setup. Comfort is not my first concern; but performance on bumpy roads and decent-enough ground clearance is important - I'm not using the car for track days.

Any help you be really cool, cheers

Andy

andyp 10 September 1999 09:15 AM

Anybody out there?

hutton_d 10 September 1999 09:28 AM

Hi Andy,

I have a 96 model so when I got it the body roll was fairly drastic as well. But I also had stiffer, lower Eibach springs on it. It is the anti-roll bars that control body roll, not the springs and dampers (for the most part that is!).

On yours do what I did - get the larger rear anti-roll bar from the 97 model on (20mm as opposed to 17mm) and fit Powerflex bushes to it and the front one. Replace the link bar bushes as well. This has a drastic effect on body roll i.e. much reduced! It is also fairly cheap compared to new suspension and you can fit it all yourself fairly easily.

Subaru quoted me about £120 for a new anti-roll bar - I got one from a brakers for half that including delivery.

Email me if you want more info.

Cheers

Dave

andyp 10 September 1999 09:44 AM

Thanks Dave for the suggestions, from one of your previous postings I kinda figured that a new roll bar was the way to go.

But I've heard a lot about fitting new nylon bushings - what are the disadvantages of them; i.e. why doesn't everybody use them?

May be a bit of a naive question, but why don't car manufactures spec them as standard if they are so good?

Maybe other people have had experiences with power bushings or other types?

Stuart Knight 10 September 1999 09:55 AM

The nylon/powerflex bushes increase harshness and transmit more road noise, which is why the manufacturers don't use them. Saying that, I have them fitted to my car and didn't really notice any difference in noise levels, or any harshness in the steering/suspension feedback. I also have the bigger (22mm rear and 20mm front) anti roll bars from MRT and they made a huge difference to overall handling with most of the roll gone!

andyp 10 September 1999 10:06 AM

Steve

most people who have upgraded roll bars have invariably gone for upgraded nylon bushes. Do you think there are big advantages to be had from upgrading roll bars but staying with the standard (rubber?) bushes?

BTW. What size is the std front roll bar? and was it only the rear roll bar that was uprated in MY97?
Does anyone know what diameter or WRXs and STI roll bars are compared with std models?

firefox 10 September 1999 10:08 AM

Hi there,

I should have a set of rear anti roll bar links (plastic things) with uprated powerflex bushes coming up for sale soon (maybe)

Cheers,

J.

hutton_d 10 September 1999 10:58 AM

Hi Andy,

As Stuart said, they are meant to transmit more road noise etc but I have found no difference. I think that if you compared brand new versions of each on identical cars on smooth rodas that may be true. But as soon as you compare a new nylon bush with old rubber ones (as most people do) then the nylon ones are actually quieter as *things* slop around less. When you add the state of most UK roads into the equation then the difference in road noise transmitted by bush materials is irrelevant to the crashing caused by pot holes etc....!

In my view the increased handling benefits more than outway the (theoretical) benefits of less road noise. They also last longer.
Oh, and another reason manufacturers fit rubber bushes is that they're cheaper...

As they wear so easily, if replacing anti-roll bars then replace all the bushes - you won't get all of the benefit otherwise. I suppose I would have got upgraded bars alla round if I had the spare dosh but doing it the way I did keeps costs down and makes a vast difference on its own.

Cheers

Dave

AlexM 10 September 1999 03:44 PM

Hi All,

Just a quick point re: upgraded bushes.

You most definately do not want to fit nylon bushes to your car. They are basically completely solid, and will cause big problems with transmission of vibrations and increased wear, as the failure to absorb vibrations places greatly increased shock loads on suspension components. Nylon bushes are normally used on track cars where a) the surface is very smooth, b) maintenance of static geometry is paramount and c)you don't sit in it for too long.

If you need upgraded bushes, go for Powerflex polypropelene (sp) bushes. Polypropelene can have it's modulus of elasticity altered to provide consistant degree of elasticity, compared to rubber bushes which degrade in a short space of time.

Sorry - not trying to be pedantic, just pointing out that you want polypropelene bushes not nylon ones.

Cheers,

Alex

andyp 10 September 1999 04:11 PM

Alex,

Point taken - I think I meant poly' ones not nylon ones. I don't think you're being pedantic - just acurate.

Andy

PS. Does anyone have a rear MY97 roll bar for sale?

hutton_d 10 September 1999 05:33 PM

For a rear ar bar - a) put in a wanted ad for one - maybe someone who has upgraded to MRT ones will have a spare b) look in Autotrader for breakers - as long as you know the Subaru price is £120 inc.

Good luck

Dave