DIY Anti lift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2003, 01:16 PM
Fredysan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi:

I have read some posts from the Legacy Forum about a DIY Antilift kit:

"I recon if you pack the back of the lower controll arm down with some washers, you should have the same effect, of course this may mean some longer bolts, but for the price of washers and bolts it should work out cheaper, also if you did do it yourself this would also mean the NVH wouldn't increase, and the ride probably wouldn't be effected, but by increasing the castor this instantly means better handling"

It seems logic. Doea anyone have tried this?

Regards from CHile
Old 31 December 2003, 01:54 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't know but the harder bush is worth having IMVHO as it improves the steering feel no end (at the cost of a slight increase in NVH of course).

Matt
Old 01 January 2004, 08:56 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting thought. I think this would work. Those bolts are a bit special, so only use high strength replacements. I have the MRT ALK, and NVH is much increased along with creeking from the front end which I put down to the misalignment the ALK induces.
Don't over do it though. The difference between an STi bush and the MRT is only about 3 mm from memory.
The thread length is very long on the bolts and could accomodate the washers? Take some measurments!
Take care.
Old 02 January 2004, 12:53 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm fairly certain that if it creaks it needs re-greasing! Neither of my ALK's have ever creaked!

I think I read a thread on the MRT Forum (Whiteline section) where the greasing of the ALK and the roll bar bushes was discussed.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Old 02 January 2004, 06:01 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Thanks for the comment. I've just had the front end apart to change the gearbox, ie detatch the wishbone from the upright. Everything moves ok and no creeks, but the wishbones are very stiff. I put this down to the Powerflex bushes elsewhere in the susension, and the binding the ALK generates in the bush alignment. I did all this with the anti roll bar disconnected of course.
My 911 has nylon bushes everywhere in the suspension and that moans and knock for miles untill its all moved around a bit. They are greased with very high viscosity grease which is like glue to smeer-on the bushes.
Think I'll just ignore it!
Graham.