Notices

AVO's

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2003, 10:57 PM
the link
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone got the AVO coilover kit fitted to classic if yes any idea of warranty on them and how good they are?
Old 01 January 2004, 09:05 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

I have had my AVO's on my Sti V3 for 2 years now. The quality was poor, no instructions, no set-up hints and tips, no brackets for the brake pipes etc.
The Factory were poor on advice, full of excuses and suggested that the flexible brake pipes were held to the struts by cable ties, MoT man would like that!
The paint flaked off doing the bolts up, and the threaded bodies are all rusty. The car is only driven in the summer.

Having sorted it all out, welded some brake perches to the bodies, I have them working as well as can be. Drove my friends RA fitted with DMS 50's and I suggest you save up the mony and buy the best, the DMS's are fantastic.

I personally would not suggest you buy the AVO's. There have been some threads about them in the past, have a search.

Hope this helps, Graham.
Old 01 January 2004, 12:52 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I'd second that. There was reports of a couple of the bodies snapping while on track. For the price (£839) you could get a set of scoobysport's GTrac coilovers. Look to be a great spec (3 year warranty too) but 'cos they are so new there isn't much feedback on them yet. The there are Ledas, ride height adjustable fixed damping for £750. Bilstein PSS for similar price, KW varient 1s again same price but all these don't have adjustable damping. Other than that then £1200 is about the price so a set of quality damping adjustable units.

Tony.
Old 01 January 2004, 03:18 PM
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Gulp, hope you arn't right about the breakage on track. I have hill climbed my Sti on these AVO's for 2 years, no cracks yet, but the rear NS has always rattled, probably loose inside!
The DMS's are very expensive, and I think that the adjustable Bilsteins would be a good bet. Have racing Bilsteins on my 911, no probs at all.
Shame a British product/Company is this weak.
Graham.
Old 02 January 2004, 12:40 AM
diogenese
Scooby Newbie

I bought my AVO's second hand and they rattled badly
I sent them off to AVO and they checked them out and fixed them.
I was told when I sent them off it could be about £40 a corner to rebuild them but they sent 'em back within a week FOC
I know some folks here slag off their service but I found it to be A1.
They are still not the best shocks in the world but they are a big improvement over standard
Old 02 January 2004, 02:32 AM
MISS SCOOBY STI
Scooby Regular

Smile

Glad i read this cos was looking at AVO's for my STI type R! What does DMS stand for? So many makes! So, which do u think is the best adjustable coilovers for the Type R then?

[Edited by MISS SCOOBY STI - 1/2/2004 2:32:45 AM]
Old 02 January 2004, 06:48 AM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Cool

DMS is Drummond Motor Sport and you can see their products here -

DMS

regards,
callum

Trending Topics

Old 02 January 2004, 07:49 AM
Scooby Regular

Wink

Miss Scooby, I have only experience of the AVO's and DMS.Now I have the AVO's sorted, that is, damping adjustment/spring rate/ride height, and then drove (on a sprint track)the RA with DMS Golds, the DMS's are just so much smoother and a real feeling of 'controled action'. That RA was almost exactly the same suspension spec as my STi. We were at the track for a private test day, trying all manner of set-ups.
Save up and by the best.
Graham.
Old 02 January 2004, 12:25 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

I had AVOs on my car for about 9 months and had alot of problems with them. I got 2 rebuilt within 6 months because they started leaking. Finally one snapped on the ROAD
I did eventually get a refund for them and now I have KW variant 3 coilovers fitted to the car. They still look and feel like new after 12 months
Old 02 January 2004, 12:48 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Apologies for the hijack, hope it's still related

toby69,
Any more thoughts on the KW V3's? Are you running them at the standard height? Are they difficult to set up once fitted? What MY are you running them on? I know T-uk runs KW's and likes them.
thanks for any info
callum

[Edited by Callum Ferguson - 1/2/2004 12:54:57 PM]
Old 02 January 2004, 02:31 PM
the link
Scooby Regular

Thanks people reason why i am asking is that i lready have em fitted to my car just out of warranty (5 months)and guess what all four are leaking and have been quoted £75 a corner to get em sorted just wanted to know if it was my set or are they generally bad i have never done any track days etc just everyday driving
duno if i should get em repaierd or just save up and get a diferent set of coilovers

Old 02 January 2004, 05:53 PM
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

In my detailed letters to AVO's MD, I told him that I thought the product was not fit for purpose. He (nicely) told me to go away, lots of people are happy with the product(!)
Dosn't sound like it!
The more honest comment is writen the more, maybe, AVO will listen.

Stick with the Big Names.

Leaking after 5 months of road use; if this happened on a new Ford KA you would be back to the dealer! You can buy a new KA for 10 x the cost of AVO's....
Scrap them, buy better units.They will only replace them with the same parts?
Graham.
Old 02 January 2004, 09:00 PM
toby69
Scooby Regular

Hi Callum

I'm running them on a 95 WRX. I'm quite happy with the KW's they've been fitted to the car for 12 months now and show no sign of corrosion and the height adjusting rings still move freely. I've only covered around 12,000 miles with them but they still feel the same as the day I fitted them. I lowered them very slighty from the setting they come with out of the box. All the instructions were in German so setting them up was a bit of trial and error, but they are fairly easy to set up.