Notices

disgruntled scooby owner

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2003, 02:18 AM
trigot
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

ive had my 96` sti import saloon for 7 months now,,i have several problems which id like some help please lads,,(and ladies).
Im th first uk registered owner,so im the ony one to have my paws on this car,,its god nick although no history,,engine ive done nothing but a full straight through exhaust and turned down the boost a little via my local tuners for safety,,or so i was told,the biggest headache is the suspension,,its a cusco height adjustable kit,,and the ride is far too hard,,ive lived with it for 7 months and now im pissed off,,lol,,i can barely drink a can of juice while im in te car and the handling is nothing great imo,in the wet while doing even 60 mph,,it feelslike its sliding and skidding into corners,,so much for the legendary handling,,im looking to buy a koni kit so i can adjust the ride,,i.e.,hard,,soft,,etc,,this luxury i dont have on the cusco ki,,do u guys think koni is worth it,,quality etc,,im not looking for the best,,just something thats not quite crap thats all,,and something in which the kids can ride in without feeling all sore the next day (yes its that bad),,and secondly, i may need the geometry set up which explains the ****ty road holdin in corners,,who do u recommend in scotlad for this,,all advice appreciated please,,also would u lads consider getting a simple superchip for the sti a bad move in terms of blowing up yur engine,,or is it a safe bet ,,,looking forward to your replies ,thank you
Old 19 November 2003, 07:32 AM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think Falkland performance are reasonably rated, but drop an e-mail to john banks, he may advise you better, hes around on here somewhere, hes an ex Ecutek tuner so he should be able to advise you on that score as well, sorry John
Old 19 November 2003, 07:43 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Why don't you get yourself some MY99/00 OE suspension from someone who has upgraded. You may find that you'll get more grip and a better ride for not much dosh.

I hope you're running it on Optimax or SUL even with the boost turned down?

F
Old 19 November 2003, 08:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

And have you had anyone check the suspension alignment?
It DOES make a lot of difference to a Scoob.
Alcazar
Old 19 November 2003, 10:04 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

All that in one breath

Andy
Old 19 November 2003, 12:20 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

The suspension probably isn't helping in the wet but are you running on the original Jap spec. tyres? Have a search on "jap tyres". They are not well regarded.

BTW: Anyone know if the coilovers are a standard diameter? (2 1/4"?). If so, then there may be better options than replacing all of the suspension.

Vindaloo.
Old 19 November 2003, 12:23 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

why dont u just buy sum softer rating springs??

i think my JIC coilovers are to stiff, you have to have the shocks on full damping just to control the spring!!

replacement springs in a poundage of my choice are £20 a corner plus vat from demon tweeks

i have selected sum which are a touch stiffer then a sti version 6, should be fine for what i want and will allow me to back of the damping on the shocks

although i still havnet orderd them yet as my bank manager is spanking me over a big wooden stool
Old 19 November 2003, 04:40 PM
trigot
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the replies lads,,i havent had the geomatry checked or fixed but the alignment is fine,,the tyres are uk spec,,,that was a very intersting point with te springs,,would i actually be able to buy softer springs as opposed to changing the full set of shockers,,and if so,,what springs would go with the cusco set up,,,these are only hieght adjustable,,cheers,,
p.s.,,always run optimax,,and occasionally sul,,,
Old 20 November 2003, 11:04 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

I find it odd about the handling you mention with Cusco. I think it will be down to your camber and tracking settings.

I have had over the years Eibach springs on std shox, HKS springs on std shox,Prodrive Bilstein suspension, both std kit and *professional*, AVO coilovers, Leda "B"'s and Cusco.

IMO, for my personal preference, the Cusco was far and away the most preferable set up on my car, for me.
You are correct about the stiffness, they are a bit too hard on the fronts if you use the car mainly for town driving. Out on the open road and motorways with speeds of 50mph upwards things get considerably better but isn't saloon car comfortable.
I would change the front springs to approxiamtely 325Ib. Not sure what the spring rating on the Cusco is as supplied but would guess it to be around the 400Ib mark, which is way too high for our type of roads.
IMO the damping of the shox are ideal if they have a lesser poundage spring on them.

Alan
Old 22 November 2003, 12:31 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just out of interest, what tyres?
Old 22 November 2003, 01:14 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i think its a combination of both geometry and springs which are far to hard

quick update is that i bought sum softer rated springs from demon tweeks for my front and mines is a lot lot better

the back is still to stiff but i can live with it for now until my bank manager leaves me alone
Old 22 November 2003, 10:46 PM
cashy
Scooby Regular

I too have the same problem with my scoobys ride. Its very hard indeed.

Ive replied to another thread by micky on cusco coilovers as i think i may well get softer springs aswell.

My cusco suspension is height,camber,damper adjustable.

Adrian