Bouncy Ride on MY03

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2003, 05:59 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi all

I recently moved up from a MY02 WRX to a MY03 WRX, but with PPP and 18" OZProdrive alloys.

I seem to notice a much more bouncy ride at motorway speeds on dual carriageways etc.

Is this a phenomina of the MY03 or are the 18" alloys causing the issue? And, what can be done about it?

Cheers
Nige
Old 27 October 2003, 06:02 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc
MY03 WRX Prodrive Springs are due out imminently, I would recommend ordering them from your dealer as they will firm up the ride. Should be available November if Prodrive bods get the product they wanted.
Old 27 October 2003, 06:06 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Beefy

Are you saying then that the MY03 springs are less effective than the MY02 ones - as I never noticed this on my old car?

Also, what "product" did the Prodrive bods want then - surely they develop their own?
Old 27 October 2003, 06:42 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Also, what "product" did the Prodrive bods want then - surely they develop their own?
AFAIK the prodrive spring kit is manufactured by Eibach to Prodrive's specification after exhaustive testing
Old 27 October 2003, 10:38 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc
Daz has got it right, Im sure Eibach make them to prodrives Specification. As far as the ride is concerned in an MY02 I cant comment having only been in an STI7 that already had the Prodrive spring kit fitted.
Old 27 October 2003, 11:00 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Nige I have the same set up as you the float and wallow that you describe is mainly due to the softer suspension that the WRX has coupled with the 18 wheels making it worse IMHO. Mike Wood has been on the suspension forum just recently and says that the new lowered spring kit from Prodrive should sort this out. On another matter how do you find the standard brakes with 18 wheels and PPP kit and quickshift fitted I found that they could not cope with the new found speed of the car. So after much research I went for Godspeed 335 kit braided hoses, Ferodo 2500 pads it now stops as well as it goes!!

Regards

John
Old 28 October 2003, 08:32 AM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

John

I'm not sure about the brakes yet - 300 miles in, only 4K Rev limit still on. I never found the std brakes a prob on the MY02, but then I didn't have the PPP!

Nige
Old 28 October 2003, 09:15 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Nigel, believe it or not, this is more pronounced on the STi8!!
I have the STi8 Prodrive springs on order now to resolve this.

Hope the WRX springs appear soon for you guys,

Alex
Old 28 October 2003, 09:54 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Nige give it time about 2k and then you will get them smoking!!

John
Old 31 October 2003, 11:20 PM
Wskibuoy
Scooby Regular

I moved from a Mondeo Zetec which had firmer springs and a hardish ride at low speed but which smoothed out at motorway speeds. My MY03 is standard but I think it is bouncy on the Mway Its not bad for the type of car - its hard to explain but on a long Mway drive your stomach feels a bit like a washing machine. The ride dosent seem to change at any speed the suspension seems to find an undulation and push the car up sharply transmitting that into vertical body movement. I am putting some of this down to the Bridgestone RE050 tyres which as run flat tyres have extreemly stiff sidewalls aparrently. Post how you get on with the new springs I would definately ug them on mine if the Mway ride improved someone suggested to me the Leda adjustables, have the Prodrive springs come out yet for a std wrx - maybe less travel would improve things?
Old 02 November 2003, 10:16 PM
Wskibuoy
Scooby Regular

Update - the ride definately flattens out at 110 plus either that or i was having too much fun to care, cant reccomend it as a good cruising speed though due to
1-Too many cops and cameras
2-Too few Shell filling stations!
Old 03 November 2003, 07:33 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Angry

After 10 days in my nice new '03 wagon I would describe the ride/handling a bit like a small hovercraft on a large easy swell, sort of wallowy, vague, and prone to leap over undulations and send you straight on at corners? feels a bit like a Morris Ital van with half a ton of stuff in the back. Except higher off the ground. At least you could feel something through the steering on an Ital.

Give me back the '98 please....'new and improved' my ****....

Old 04 November 2003, 09:50 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Jerry with a bit of luck Prodrive will get their finger out and get us some decent springs to sort all our problems

Regards

John
Old 04 November 2003, 12:04 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

I was being a bit harsh on it but you know what I mean. Thanks. Been reading the Prodrive related threads. Looks promising. Wouldn't want to do the PPP thing until that's sorted out!
Was tempted to ask Alex if I could try his Sti springs when he replaces them this week - it felt a lot more impressive even though he doesn't like them.
Old 04 November 2003, 01:59 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Jerry springs on sti are different to wrx so they wont fit Im afraid, Still not long know !!

John
Old 04 November 2003, 08:34 PM
GRIFFS STI
Scooby Regular

just put eibachs on mine,very impressed looks better,handles MUCH better
cheers
jason
Old 07 November 2003, 10:47 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

It sounds like some of you have faulty cars, geometry or incorrect tyre pressures.

The ride on my 03 WRX is fine, better than my old 00MY, although the steering is a bit too light. IMO the main problem is with high speed, over 70MPH back road driving, where the car tends to float around bends, if that's possible! Lower speeds and motorway driving I have no problem with the standard suspension setup.

From what Mike Wood says, the Prodrive springs will sort out the minor issues, but come on guys the stock car isn't as bad as some of you are making out.

Dan
Old 10 November 2003, 01:47 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree 100% with Dan, actually the bigest problem with MY03 IMHO is weight transfer on fast corners. A rear uprated ARB helps a lot on this. I am waiting also for the new springs!
JIM
Old 10 November 2003, 07:55 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Again, I prefer the handling of my 03 to the 00. Seems more predictable and communicative, and easier to play with? I know that doesn't help much, but I don't understand much about handling

There is quite a bit of body roll, but nothing too worrying.

Nige, I couldn't believe the bounce on the STI - it's unbearable compared to the WRX. The prodrive handling kit transforms the car IMHO, so I'm eager to try the WRX version when the readies allow it
Old 11 November 2003, 12:05 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys,

I wouldn't say the handling is bad, but then I've not tested it too far, it was just the ride.

I might check the same road out in a different car to see if it is the road?

I might just go for the springs / geom when they come out!

Nige
Old 11 November 2003, 01:16 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

To me it's way, way softer than the '98.
Having given it a bit more stick as I get used to it I'd say it's safer, in so far as the edges of grip are a lot wider and it doesn't do anything suddenly.....it rolls a lot more and drifts earlier. It doesn't really feel planted like the old one. Being higher with softer springs that's what you'd expect I suppose. The lack of feel through the steering is a shame though.
Over bumpy b-roads it's a bit floaty and bouncy, generally a lot more vague, less precise. That's what I don't like. I don't really feel in control of it to the degree I did with the '98. If I hit undulations it will drift wide and it understeers far more than I like.
However the '98 used to crash through pot-holes badly but the '03 takes them with ease. Just too much of a compromise for my taste.
Motorways are no problem though.
A lot of it is just me getting used to it I'm sure. I hope... Maybe....
Old 11 November 2003, 02:22 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Jerry B spot on just what I feel hoping that the spring kit in conjunction with new ARB fitted at powerstation with full geo will go some way to sort the problem .

Any news yet Mike Wood of Prodrive

Regards

John
Old 12 July 2014, 07:30 PM
Captainfunbags
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bit of a thread resurrection but the ride on 55 Hawk is choppy to say the least.

However my car is apparently fitted with WR Sport Spring Package (Part number SACC2555) so was wondering if these chaps are the culprits ???