Argh - ARB droplinks - please help!

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2003, 01:55 PM
KRM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The saga continues..

After much hacksawing I managed to replace my knackered front droplinks with whitelines S shaped spring steel ones. The fit seemed VERY tight and hard on the bolts, they links themselves were about 1-1.5cm shorter than the original ones. Apparently however they were the correct ones for my car. Two weeks after fitting I heard a nasty pinging from the noise and the passenger side lower bolt holding the arb on had gone MIA, presumed snapped.

Ordered the bigger solid alloy whiteline / MRT ones thinking they must be beefier and they arrived today. Opened up the pack and it says "remove old droplinks but retain the bolts". WTF?? I didn't have any bolts on my original droplinks

Can someone please let me know what I need to fit to the scoob - it's a 96 STi Type RA with aluminium lower arms. The original droplinks were basically a solid metal bar with two bolts on ball joints attached. The droplinks were removed by inserting an allen key into the bolt and turning the nut - NO BOLTS!! I either need to replace them with ones matching the original items or get uprated ones which actualyl fit the car as I'm currently having to drive round with the arb only connected to one side!

Edit - the original ones basically look like this:
piccie

[Edited by KRM - 7/17/2003 1:57:49 PM]
Old 17 July 2003, 10:57 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

The Whiteline ones are for UK cars only, or so I was told when I tried to buy some for my MY93 WRX. They are shorter due to the mounting points on the steel wishbones, rather than the ones on the alloy wishbones on your car. I made my own in the end.
Old 17 July 2003, 11:31 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmm...

I bought the front and rear metal links from Scoobymania ( whiteline kits I think ) and they fitted fine, to my jap MY94 WRX wagon. The S shaped links for the rear were fine, the near straight links for the front were ok too!

And they were normal nut and bolt, albeit larger head thanthe original bolts/nuts.

You haven't mixed the front and rear kits up have you? Or it may well be, as you say, due to the alloy front arms not the basic steel ones us lesser types have!

Cheers

Neil
Old 18 July 2003, 12:13 AM
KRM
Scooby Regular

Grade A think they'll have some OEM replacement ones for cars with alloy lower arms in for the middle of next week. Definitely not got front and back confused Well, at least both sets of droplinks have come in packets saying front - maybe they ended up in the wrong bags?
Cheers guys!
Old 18 July 2003, 11:00 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Well, at least both sets of droplinks have come in packets saying front - maybe they ended up in the wrong bags?
Are you sure they've sent the right ones? Check part numbers with your supplier.
Old 22 July 2003, 12:13 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
After much hacksawing I managed to replace my knackered front droplinks with whitelines S shaped spring steel ones.
See my post above re: have you got front and rear links mixed up ... rear are S shaped, front are nearly straight, at least on my WRX MY94 they are!

Edited to say - just seen your pic .... they look like front links. They don't seem to be bent S shaped do they ....

Dunno why change those, they are as good as the polyurethane bushed Whitelines ones IMHO, as long as they were not knackered!
My WRX had the bendy plastic links, quite a great improvement when they became steel and PU bushes!!

[Edited by vulnax999 - 7/22/2003 12:17:02 AM]