Notices

Whiteline rear strut brace anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2002, 03:26 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody know who might have one in stock?

Anyone actually using one? I've got a wagon, and have been told it's a decent mod to make - mine has most of the other things you can do to them already. Is this so? Cheers,

Tel
Old 14 October 2002, 04:17 PM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

I've have one fitted to my wagon and it made a great improvement to the rear handled...I had the bumpsteer and the drop-links done at the same time though.

However now things have bedded-in (I they can) the original MY00 suspension is showing signs of old age, but it's an all other feeling....so it could be due to the new tyres ????

Have you changed your suspension and if so what do you have, do you do track days with it....thinking of starting myself.
Old 15 October 2002, 08:52 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Smile

GW, nope, it's not a track day car. If you saw it you'd understand why - it's almost concours standard, probably the cleanest wagon in the country. Doesn't stop me using it properly on the right B-road though!

I've had most of the suspension mods done - bumpsteer, anti-lift kit, front strut brace, rear anti roll bar with solid drop links, geometry set up and so on.

But i've been told that on a wagon the rear strut brace gives you quite a noticeable improvement, as there's no solid rear seat section to keep the shape as well as in a saloon.

Ideally i'll hold out for a Whiteline one to match the other struts and bars on the car, but it seems they're quite difficult to get hold of - PowerStation for one don't stock them.

Ho hum!
Old 16 October 2002, 08:50 AM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Telboy

Fire a post of to here and they might be able to point you in the right direction.

I have exactly the same set up as you on a MY00 Wagon (which GW2000s is a near enough copy of! ) except for the front strut brace. I have thought about the rear strut brace option as well, but I'm a bit hesitant to losing the load carrying space in the boot. It's gonna be a right pain in the backside everytime you need to load the boot, and take the strut brace off, and then put it back on again once done.

However, the other question is, how often do I/you actually use the boot properly?

If you do manage to source one you'll have to let us know what it's like.

Scott
Old 16 October 2002, 09:09 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Try Scoobymania or Town End Garage. They are both Whiteline stockists....

Matt
Old 16 October 2002, 10:51 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good idea Matt, i'll give them a go.

Scott, in fact i DO use the boot extensively, one of the reasons i bought the wagon version, but i'm assuming it's just a bar below the pull-over fabric boot cover, thus not taking up too much extra room? If it meant i couldn't keep this cover in place, i wouldn't want one, as i regularly want to keep items in the boot out of sight.

Anyone tell me what you sacrifice by fitting a rear strut brace in a wagon?

Ta
Old 16 October 2002, 12:39 PM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Doh, me talking about the wrong thing again. I'm in the process of sorting out a Cusco Rear strut brace as the Whiteline ones are difficult to get hold of and have yellow ends

Now where is that muppet forum

Old 16 October 2002, 01:06 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Telboy,

I'm not 100% certain if the Whiteline strut braces need the cover to be removed or not. I think the Cusco one is fine, and possibly the STI.

I use the cover all the time as well, and this is also one of my main concerns.

Perhaps PTMW might add his comments as I know he's tried a few strut braces, and from what I remember of a conversation we had he recommended the Cusco.

Ian - you muppet!