Notices

Lowering springs, good idea or not?

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2002, 11:17 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need to pick your brains on this one. I am interested in improving the handling and look of my car. Are lowring springs the way forward or not? I have heard it said that they will not be matched to the original dampers, is this true? It does not bother me quite how hard the suspension gets as this is only a weekend car, so I can avoid being shaken to death through the week!
MY97 on 17" wheels
Thanks in advance.
Old 19 September 2002, 01:19 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Chaz

It's true that if you don't get dampers to match the new springs, things will not be perfect.

Also.. lowering a mcpherson strut car causes all sorts of weirdness as it lowers the roll centre more than the centre of gravity which means that the dynamics of the car tries to roll the body MORE, not less. This means that more roll resistance is needed to keep it in place, which means (usually) less grip.

It will definitely affect your handling... in some ways it's bound to be good, but it will be a little more unpredictable IMHO.

Cheers

Simon
Old 19 September 2002, 09:03 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had eibachs and geomentry setup at TSL and feels great round the twisties. I'm sure it'll be no where near as good as Avo adjustables and the like, but is certainly a massive improvement over standard IMO.