Notices

Eibachs or Bumpsteer

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2002, 02:16 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to improve the handling of my Scoob, I have a full de-cat exhaust and am more than happy with the performance.

I know all about the Bump steer mod and have seen various posts regarding cars with Eibachs - I guess that fitting Eibachs and having the bumpsteer sorted is the ideal combo but it is likely that I will go for one only. So which one?

I would like to have a little less body roll with the car, but equally eliminate some of the understeer I get now. I have a front strut brace fitted already so a full geometry set-up is probably worth doing.

I know the Bump steer mod would work out significantly cheaper but which overall would improve the feel of the car?

Paul
Old 14 August 2002, 02:36 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
u want less understeer, so bumpsteer. If u want overall better handling then eibachs and bumpsteer. Bumpsteer is about £200 cheaper Geometry is done with the bumpsteer mod as matter of course, as the steering rack position is changed.

Get both done u know u want to.
Old 14 August 2002, 03:58 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ditto, both. Save yourself two trips which you KNOW you'll end up making in the long run anyway...
Old 15 August 2002, 10:46 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Agreed - you'll probably end up doing both so bite the bullet and get both done now (and save some money on double Geom checkup ).

If you *really* are only going for one then it's got the be the BSM!!! It doesn't matter how good your springs and dampers are if the wheels are pointing in different directions

Matt
Old 15 August 2002, 11:37 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Smile

That's helped - reckon it'll have to be the Eibachs so at least it will leave the option of the BSM or geometry set-up at a later date. Of course, the other thing to remember is that we never come away from a place with only the things we went in for!!!

Cheers
Paul
Old 15 August 2002, 02:17 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Aplogies for hijacking your thread but I am thinking of similar changes to my MY01.

So how much would the Bumpsteer and Eibachs cost and where is Powerstation that everyone raves about. If it's too far away from me anyone recommend somewhere in Herts/London.

Cheers

Chris
Old 15 August 2002, 02:26 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Kempo,

Did you not hear? BSM mod 1st m8

Chris,

I'm from North London and I still recommend Powerstation for Eibachs/Geometry work (bear in mind that the MY01 is not supposed to need the Bump Steer Mod)....

Matt
Old 15 August 2002, 02:42 PM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Matt, I heard m8
I think the subliminal message is coming to me as "Go to PS to have the bumpsteer done but come away with Eibachs / Bumpsteer" (in that order)

Seriously, I think if I have the bumpsteer done I will wish I'd done the springs first - don't want to pay for 2 alignments!

Chris, no problems, hi-jack away I'm in St Evenage but will travel to Power Station (in Cheltenham) because they are the reputed masters! If you only need to go for Eibachs then Tyres Northampton is probably closer and I can thoroughly recommend them. IIRC, the Eibachs are about £145 plus probably £60 - 80 for fitting and the bumpsteer is £100 (plus a tank of fuel to Cheltenham )

TSL near Nottingham also do similar work but from me they are as far as Power Station.

Cheers
Paul
Old 15 August 2002, 03:20 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info.

Note to self, must plan trip to Cheltenham
Old 16 August 2002, 06:56 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Kemop, No!

Just literally come back from PS after having lots done to my car and Nick says best bang per buck / first mod is defo the BSM. Eibachs second, the rear ARB, ALK and the links.

Nick knows best, believe me!
Jon.
Old 19 August 2002, 10:59 AM
Kempo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Jon, I hear what your saying so I think I'll have to get booked into PS for the BSM - it'll be easier to get that approved with the other half too, Eibachs would raise the anty a bit!

Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. Where abouts in Swindon are you? Lived there for 22 years, Dad and in-laws are still there so often back for the weekend (Covingham and Old Town)