Notices

Steering vibrations on hard cornering

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2002, 10:17 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right,

MY99 UK 4dr with standard 16” wheels and Eagle F1 GS-D2. Running a few different pressures to see what works best but usually 32 to 34psi. TSL did the geometry for me back in February as it was all over the shop.

We have a short up ramp onto a car park at right with a 90 left at the top. If you turn in quite quickly in the wet, you get some quite severe juddering / vibrations through the steering wheel as the thing under-steers like a dog on lino.

Also seem to get a fair bit of under-steer on damp roundabouts.

Last night I did my fave roundabout en-route to the gym. Lovely and smooth surface, good visibility and I usually exit to the lovely sound of my F1s fighting for grip. Pushed a bit harder through it last night and got the same vibrations through the wheel.

Is this normal? What causes the vibrations? The diffs? Note, I’ve not a clue what diffs I have and haven’t got ie I’m a numptie!

Is it something bump steer would sort out? Certainly tempted by it as I’m getting fed up of under-steering (the hairpin at Kames sprint circuit was under steer city).

Thoughts and comments accepted.

TIA,

Chris.
Old 06 August 2002, 11:25 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Blown damper at the front? Dunno,just a guess.
Old 06 August 2002, 11:33 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Chris mine is also My99 and does the exact same thing. Especially on oily/greasy roads. Lovely vibration all through the front suspension. Moreso on lefthanders. However I do have **** rubber on atm. Yup greasy roundabouts are a nightmare to, terminal understeer. I think the bump steer mod definately eliminates some of this plus decent geometry setup. Fancy goin up to Powerstation together?
Old 06 August 2002, 11:45 AM
ChrisB

In the dry it seems pretty composed when cornering and certainly cruises well on my private road *ahem*

What surprised me last night was the roundabout was dry. Only had ever the vibrations in the wet before. Maybe I just pushed it that bit harder last night?

What rubber you running Bio?

Bumpsteer is certainly under consideration, although keen to know if it helps the vibrations at all first.

Chris.
Old 06 August 2002, 12:21 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Avon ZZ1 205/50 16" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

oh ic, mines only ever done it in the wet. Yup mine to is fine in the dry. I need to get on a private road and push the limits to see if it happens on a dry road to

Edited to say, the bumpsteer mod definately eliminates understeer. Thats it prime function. I've only seen praise from ppl who've had it done.

Edited again to answer your last question
The only reason its vibrating is because its understeering badly imo.

Give powerstation a call, I'm sure they will have heard of this 'characteristic' before.

[Edited by bioforger - 8/6/2002 12:25:54 PM]

[Edited by bioforger - 8/6/2002 12:28:22 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 12:33 PM
ChrisB

Cheers Bio