Notices

Please help - wagon steering rods with sti arms

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2022, 07:51 PM
Si w
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help - wagon steering rods with sti arms

So my 2005 wagon wrx had the dreaded steel wishbone failure! Thankfully i was only in a carpark and not doing 70+!

so, im collecting parts to replace the arms with alloy GDB ones. I have everything ordered up except for steering rods/ends. I have read the wagon ones will not be long enough. Some say they work but not much thread, which worries me. I cant find a proper solution, other than replace the steering rack itself. Is this really the only option?

TIA!
Old 12 March 2022, 11:19 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I've never experienced that as an issue.
Got a link, to someone that has?

GD sti wider front bar + GD sti drop links
I had automatic headlight levellers, so I had to get aluminium arms with the additional bracket. Wouldn't fancy welding on a bracket and weakening the aluminium arm.
I used off-set front top mounts, high caster front arms and flipped the pin to gain more caster. I thought about additional spacers for still more caster, but with my springs, 225/45 x 17 tyre and 7.5" et48 wheels, the front of the wagon arch gap wouldn't allow for it, lock to lock.
Obviously you can now use saloon front struts and not lose negative camber.
Old 12 March 2022, 01:12 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Mine failed at 70+....

Firstly, you are aware that there is a VOSA recall on the steel arms and you can get them replaced for free by Subaru?
​​​​​​
Secondly, everything on the Wagon is different at the front due to the narrower track. Everything except the steering rods which are the same on the Wagon and Saloon....

Anything you mix and match between Wagon and Saloon will effect alignment. For example, are you still using Wagon driveshafts, these are shorter than Saloon ones, the same as the ARB is shorter?