KW Clubsport 2 way settings on a Newage

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2021, 10:33 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Default KW Clubsport 2 way settings on a Newage

Hi Folks,
just wondering if anyone has a set of KW clubsports 2 way on a newage.
Just purchased some and was wondering what settings you have.

I have set them up with the factory starting point but the roads near me are absolutely sh1te and they feel all over the place.

if anyone could give me a few pointers I'd be grateful.
car is a 600bhp Hawkeye BTW.
Old 18 October 2021, 11:02 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

harry007 has them, think TDR set them up
Old 18 October 2021, 11:23 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Spring rates?
Wheel centre to arch measurements?
Bar sizes?

Last edited by 2pot; 18 October 2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 18 October 2021, 11:49 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

My Abarth 500 was fitted with KW v3 and they bottomed out at the max height.
After a good friend of mine opened them up and removed their internal spacers and changed the wrong front springs that they came out of the factory from, I raised the car and it was sublime, it ironed out everything!
Old 19 October 2021, 12:49 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pot
Spring rates?
Wheel centre to arch measurements?
Bar sizes?
I'm just looking for a starting point.
When I have the time I'll I'm going to book it in somewhere for a full and complete alignment and fast road setup.
At the minute the KWs are a disappointment as they're a bit bouncy and crashy for want of better terms but I'm certain that's just down to set up.

What I was hoping was that someone has already done this and would be willing to share bump and rebound settings. That would atleast be a good place to start.
Old 19 October 2021, 04:14 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If the Clubsport still use 9kg front 6kg rear, then you'll never get it settled on undulating/uneven B-roads.
It will be suffering from pitch, (front spring too stiff in relation to the rear) - the front constantly kicking up and the rear constantly being knocked down. If you use the damping to constrain the pitch problem, then the damping will be inadequate in other areas.

Overly stiff springs, for road use, will need smaller bars.

If they are still using 50mm bump stops, and you're too low on the ride heights? You may be constantly engaging the bump stops?

Settings-wise: John Felstead had Clubsports 10 years ago - he's still active on the type ra forum.
Old 19 October 2021, 08:25 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

If the Clubsport still use 9kg front 6kg rear, then you'll never get it settled on undulating/uneven B-roads.
It will be suffering from pitch, (front spring too stiff in relation to the rear) - the front constantly kicking up and the rear constantly being knocked down. If you use the damping to constrain the pitch problem, then the damping will be inadequate in other areas.

If they are still using 50mm bump stops, and you're too low on the ride heights? You may be constantly engaging the bump stops?

Settings-wise: John Felstead had Clubsports 10 years ago - he's still active on the type ra forum.
The car isn't set particularly low so I don't think the bump stops are coming into play.
345mm front wheel centre to arch and 360mm on the rears.
I currently have the standard bars on the car still.
I'd forgotten about John, I'll send him a pm
Old 19 October 2021, 08:52 PM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

345mm front ride height is very low, depending on the durometer/length of the bump stop,
Check the front bump stop to damper gap at static ride height.
345mm with a 50mm bump stop on a stock sti damper - you would be riding on the bump stop, with limited bump travel.

Last edited by 2pot; 19 October 2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 19 October 2021, 09:15 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

345mm front ride height is very low, depending on the durometer/length of the bump stop,
Check the front bump stop to damper gap at static ride height.
345mm with a 50mm bump stop on a stock sti damper - you would be riding on the bump stop, with limited bump travel.
Sorry was a typo, Its 355mm

Here's how it sits on them.

Old 20 October 2021, 10:14 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If it was a front oem sti suspension, at 355mm, with a 50mm (oem is 60mm) bump stop, you'd still only have 10mm bump stop clearance. I'd measure what you have with the KW's, just to eliminate a potential issue.

Last edited by 2pot; 20 October 2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 17 November 2021, 12:17 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Cant say i ever experienced pitch issues on my Clubsport suspension. Springs are in N/mm 90 front 60 rear as supplied.
The V3 kit used softer springs front (80N/mm and a rising rate rear 34-41N/mm), are you confusing the two?

I tried going softer for a while on my kit to 80N/mm front, 54N/mm rear , didn't work on sprints and although it gave a softer ride on the road, was a backwards move overall.
I ended up going stiffer on spring rate than the original spec front and rear, worked a treat, won the championship, still worked well on the road.

I used to change the ARB's and damper settings depending on the event and the roads i was driving on. Only one i got wrong was Kames, i underestimated how grippy it was having never been there before, i took the soft set off and put the stiffest set i had on after the first run, even though it was raining and i was on rally slicks. Massive grip there.

One of the good things about the KW Clubsport kit is the available stroke, especially at the rear, you have a lot more droop than most coilovers, so you can really push the car hard on the brakes, which is where i gained a lot of time over the competition.

Last edited by johnfelstead; 17 November 2021 at 12:19 AM.
Old 17 November 2021, 10:25 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yes - droop travel

With a 90N/mm front, a 80N/mm rear (with less rear bar) would ensure the suspension self-settles, meaning less damping required (less heat build-up/wear).

I'm not sure I'd have talent to control those spring rates on the road though.

Last edited by 2pot; 17 November 2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 26 November 2021, 10:08 AM
2pot
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
One of the good things about the KW Clubsport kit is the available stroke, especially at the rear, you have a lot more droop than most coilovers, so you can really push the car hard on the brakes, which is where i gained a lot of time over the competition.
What's the minimum droop you would like to have at the rear?
Compared to the rear droop (say 100mm): do you consider there is an upside, or downside, to running more, less or the same droop at the front?

Last edited by 2pot; 26 November 2021 at 10:16 AM.