Notices

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2021, 08:38 PM
Keithp1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers

I have a 2006 Impreza WRX with Tein flex coilovers, the car makes a clunking noise when turning at slow speed which is coming from the coilovers, is there any way of curing this or are there any other coilovers that don’t clunk, it mainly for road use?

cheers
keith
Old 17 January 2021, 11:17 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Front or rear? Old (could have worn out) or new (just fitted)?
Old 17 January 2021, 11:23 PM
Keithp1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fairly new, only been on the car about 5 months, the front ones are the ones that clunk
Old 17 January 2021, 11:39 PM
ST-X
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

It could be the top mount bearings but double check the central nut is tight and that the bolts holding the slotted bearing in place are all tight first. Another way to check if it's the top bearing that's knackered is to jack the car up and then wiggle the top of the coilover up in the arch (don't bother holding the spring though as that'll move around anyway). If you hear a clunk there after you've ensured all the bolts are tight then it's the bearing. However, an outside bet is that something inside the strut is clunking but I doubt that, you'd likely feel it doing something odd when driving if it was broken enough to make the sort of clunk you can hear while driving. I'm not sure if the Tein's use the same double bearing arrangement as BCs but if they do I'd double check which one is worn - when I had a clunk it was the bearing that allowed the spring to rotate smoothly rather than the actual top mount bearing.