Notices

JDM GC8E4ED (MY98 STi v4) knuckle/hub on USDM GC67/GM67 (MY00 RS)

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2020, 04:07 AM
AncientRS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JDM GC8E4ED (MY98 STi v4) knuckle/hub on USDM GC67/GM67 (MY00 RS)

I know this is a long shot, but I couldn't find confirmation on my side of the pond...
Does anyone know if the JDM MY98 v4 STi knuckle/hub will fit the USDM MY00 RS axle with or without the tone ring? Also is the wheel bearing the same? Thanks!

The story is that my ball joint boots are ripped and starting to wear, and my current knuckles likely won't survive the extraction due to severe rust. I found the JDM knuckles below for sale on eBay for $160 USD, and I'm wondering if I can simply swap the knuckle/hub onto my USDM RS.

USDM MY00 RS axle

Last edited by AncientRS; 24 October 2020 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Additional details
Old 24 October 2020, 07:42 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

All I can say is the Knuckle/housings are different part numbers as are the drive shafts

The bearings are the same

The hubs are the same

BUT the WRXSTI HUB is fitted with a tone wheel, the MY00 RS apparently not because its now on the driveshaft (MY00 onwards)

The move of the ABS tone ring from hub to driveshaft and location of the ABS sensor in the knuckle would account for the different knuckle/housing and drive shaft part numbers which would cast serious doubt on the WRXSTI Knuckle fitting the RS.

Last edited by Don Clark; 24 October 2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 24 October 2020, 10:12 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

as above MY99 & MY00 cars use a totally different ABS set-up compared to the earlier cars..........

not sure on US spec but if its minus ABS then the physical dimensions are the same so you could fit the 'wrong' ABS one as the position of the tone ring / ABS sensor won't affect anything
Old 24 October 2020, 10:12 AM
AncientRS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Don Clark
The bearings are the same

The hubs are the same

BUT the WRXSTI HUB is fitted with a tone wheel, the MY00 RS apparently not because its now on the driveshaft (MY00 onwards)

The move of the ABS tone ring from hub to driveshaft and location of the ABS sensor in the knuckle would account for the different knuckle/housing and drive shaft part numbers which would cast serious doubt on the WRXSTI Knuckle fitting the RS.
Thank you for confirming the bearing and the hub.

Yes, the ABS ring is what concerns me. I can live without the ABS and the ring by taking the ring out of my RS axle, but I wonder if doing so will make the RS axle fit this JDM knuckle/hub without issues/gap/plays.

Last edited by AncientRS; 24 October 2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 24 October 2020, 10:18 AM
AncientRS
Scooby Newbie

Question

Originally Posted by stockcar
not sure on US spec but if its minus ABS then the physical dimensions are the same so you could fit the 'wrong' ABS one as the position of the tone ring / ABS sensor won't affect anything
Do you mean that if I simply remove the tone ring from my RS axle, then it'll fit the JDM one?
Old 24 October 2020, 12:34 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

not aware of your market specification but it would seem your car has ABS installed by your comment??

if thats the case then the earlier hub is no use and you require the correct 99/00 hub for your ABS to still function correctly as the components are in totally different positions..........
Old 24 October 2020, 09:46 PM
AncientRS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by stockcar
not aware of your market specification but it would seem your car has ABS installed by your comment??

if thats the case then the earlier hub is no use and you require the correct 99/00 hub for your ABS to still function correctly as the components are in totally different positions..........
USDM RS comes with ABS from the factory, but I don't necessarily need it if taking out the tone ring from the axle will make the axle fit into the older-style JDM knuckle/hub. If the hub part numbers are the same, it should fit?