Notices

Legacy GT Bilstein Strut Failure

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2017, 08:21 PM
Milan-San Remo
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Legacy GT Bilstein Strut Failure

Hi there, just wondered if anyone has encountered the same issue. Was driving the car and out of nowhere the front suspension started to make loud clunking/banging noise. The car was undrivable. Had a quick look over and could find anything then when I removed the dust cap at the top of the strut I found the threaded part at the top of strut has complete sheared off. Not sure how it happened. I've not hit any pot holes or bumps on the road. Car is a daily driver and with family onboard so doesn't get driven hard. Anyone else seen this before. Lucky it happened near our house and we had been going very slowly. Not sure what would happen if we had been doing 60mph+

​​​​​​​
Old 27 November 2017, 10:27 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

According to your VIN data shown above, current part numbers for your front struts are:
(RH -line1 LH - line2)

Original p/n's *AG140 and *AG150

Last edited by Don Clark; 27 November 2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 27 November 2017, 11:39 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

As to why it failed, there doesn't look to be sufficient thread through the nut to complete it's locking function, and the amount of thread below the nut is certainly not in line with the position of the fracture site in the bearing, so the nut was probably loose.
Check the other side to see if the same.
Old 27 November 2017, 12:59 PM
Milan-San Remo
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Don,

thanks for for the info. I managed to pull the part number from the strut when I had the wheel off. Regarding the nut, it was fully threaded on to the top of strut. I took the pic after loosening the nut from the thread.

I will contact Bilstein to see if they have a replacement strut.

Cheers again,

Stewart