Notices

Are sti group n rear cotrol arm bushes an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2015, 01:23 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are sti group n rear cotrol arm bushes an upgrade?

Just a quick one, I ordered some of the to replace the standard ones on my 04 sti including steering rack bushes to increase feedback and tighten things up abit. These are an upgrade with stiffer rubber aren't they? After searching Google some suggest they may not be.

Thanks
Old 23 December 2015, 10:50 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

I'll report back when they have been fitted
Old 31 December 2015, 09:27 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

STi Group N bushings are definitely and upgrade. Especially in the rear end. Make sure you get the geometry set as it will be off after removing everything. You should also replace the trailing arm bushings while you are in there. And if you're being really picky, there is also a bushing in the rear knuckle that would be good to do while that is all apart too! You will be amazed at how better the car turns by changing the rear end. Uprating the rear bushings is like installing a larger rear ARB. I rate this mod very highly, whether it be with STi Group N, Whiteline or SuperPro poly bushings. All good stuff.
Old 31 December 2015, 09:39 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
STi Group N bushings are definitely and upgrade. Especially in the rear end. Make sure you get the geometry set as it will be off after removing everything. You should also replace the trailing arm bushings while you are in there. And if you're being really picky, there is also a bushing in the rear knuckle that would be good to do while that is all apart too! You will be amazed at how better the car turns by changing the rear end. Uprating the rear bushings is like installing a larger rear ARB. I rate this mod very highly, whether it be with STi Group N, Whiteline or SuperPro poly bushings. All good stuff.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have added a 22mm front and 24mm rear ARB also. I have also bought the group N rear diff support/ transmission mounts and transmission mount cross member bushings which are yet to be fitted.
I pick the car up saturday so i will report back then
Old 31 December 2015, 09:55 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Sounds great. Christmas #2 for you then! You won't recognize your car, honestly. It's a shame that You couldn't do the installs incrementally to see the effects of each part group. Set your rear bar at full soft for your first trip out. You'll need to get used to the added rotation and more aggressive lift throttle oversteer characteristics of the bigger bar and stiffer bushings. Depending on your geo setup it can be quite snappy and might catch you out in the wet.
Old 01 January 2016, 07:55 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Yeah its been a good Christmas with all the upgrades!

Well i also had the steering rack bushes changed in order to get more feedback through the steering. My tyre of choice is usually Continental/Goodyear but the car i bought came with like new Bridgestone S001's. I have changed them to Continental Sport Contact 5's in 94Y XL form to help stiffness and although the grip is immense it has dulled the steering as it would appear the side walls are still nowhere near as stiff as the Bridgestone's
I was hoping the rear arm bushes would help slightly with this also. I have had quite a few VAG cars and one mod done on the golf mk5 platform was to change the wishbone bushes to get abit more feel through the steering wheel, it worked although only slightly. I guess it was the extra vibration. If it doesn't i'm not fussed as they were 12 years old anyway!
As you would expect the bar has been set on the middle setting by the garage so i will take it easy anyway to learn how it now reacts to the extra stiffness but thanks for the heads up

Last edited by cam87; 01 January 2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03 January 2016, 09:24 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

I picked the car up yesterday and the handling is very much improved. On normal driving it feels just the same as before and still comfortable but when driving in a spirited fashion the arbs really keep it stable.
The steering feel has improved by around 40% with the steering rack bushes as well, especially when on centre. If I had kept the Bridgestone's on I think the feedback would be awesome. I believe that the Group N parts are standard on the spec c cars and I haven't felt any NVM from any of the Group N parts I have fitted. The only parts I don't have are the engine mounts which I will now buy. I was a bit aprehensive as I didn't want cabin noise etc but I don't think there will be much if any, just the added performance.

Last edited by cam87; 03 January 2016 at 09:29 AM.