Notices

Hatchback STI Power Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2015, 02:33 PM
Scooby_nz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatchback STI Power Steering issue

My brothers 2008 STI has today started to play up a bit.

When the car is idling the power steering gets really stiff but when you rev the car a little and turn the wheel it's fine.

Could someone please shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance
Old 05 November 2015, 10:17 PM
fritz555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_nz
My brothers 2008 STI has today started to play up a bit.

When the car is idling the power steering gets really stiff but when you rev the car a little and turn the wheel it's fine.

Could someone please shed some light on this for me.

Thanks in advance
I had a similar problem with my 2010 STI hatch. Told dealership when it went in for recent service and they just tightened the belt slightly and topped up power steering fluid and all seems fine now. Had belt slipping sound and tight steering with mine.
Old 05 November 2015, 11:03 PM
Scooby_nz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fritz555
I had a similar problem with my 2010 STI hatch. Told dealership when it went in for recent service and they just tightened the belt slightly and topped up power steering fluid and all seems fine now. Had belt slipping sound and tight steering with mine.
Thanks for the reply.

Not had no belt slipping noises just the tight steering.

I'll ask him to get the belt checked out to be on the safe side!
Old 14 December 2015, 08:48 PM
Scooby_nz
Scooby Regular

Anybody help :-)
Old 16 December 2015, 06:52 PM
Swiss tone
Scooby Regular

I had a similar issue on my first WR1 blobeye. I had little help from the power steering when parking until the revs were up and even slight judder feeling. It apparently is speed sensitive steering which may have an effect but obviously you need the most help at low speeds.

I went down the same route as already mentioned and tightened the belt and checked fluid is bang on line. No difference so I sourced a second hand pas pump which wasn't hard to fit to be honest but getting all the air out the fluid is a sod without having proper tool.
After all that, it turned out to be just a semi seized UJ knuckle joint that you can see down the back of the engine. They dry out with the heat so try WD40 first by making a long straw. Once improves then greace it up.

Worth trying that first or could be a small leak on hydraulics on the rack or faulty pump. Depends how bad it is but you could just live with it!
Old 16 December 2015, 07:06 PM
Scooby_nz
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, I'll get my bro to have a look tomorrow.

It only did it that once a few weeks ago but he rarely drives it.

What does this UJ knuckle joint look like?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Swiss tone
I had a similar issue on my first WR1 blobeye. I had little help from the power steering when parking until the revs were up and even slight judder feeling. It apparently is speed sensitive steering which may have an effect but obviously you need the most help at low speeds.

I went down the same route as already mentioned and tightened the belt and checked fluid is bang on line. No difference so I sourced a second hand pas pump which wasn't hard to fit to be honest but getting all the air out the fluid is a sod without having proper tool.
After all that, it turned out to be just a semi seized UJ knuckle joint that you can see down the back of the engine. They dry out with the heat so try WD40 first by making a long straw. Once improves then greace it up.

Worth trying that first or could be a small leak on hydraulics on the rack or faulty pump. Depends how bad it is but you could just live with it!