Notices

HSD Coilovers any good!?

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2015, 10:36 PM
WrxSti03
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HSD Coilovers any good!?

As title are these any good? Anyone had any experience with them?
Thinking about purchasing them not sure if I should get the monopro or dualtech?
Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John.B
Old 23 August 2015, 01:48 AM
Hangarrat93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mate, i use the monopro on my newage. have done around 2000miles in them and heres what i've found.

the service, warranty and build are fantastic.
the stanchion is thicker than equivalent bcs
they are valved slightly differently from bcs and therefor seem harsher.
i run quite stiff springs - stiffer than from factory so cant really comment on stiffness.
the adjustment does make a massive amount of difference.
the adjuster is mounted at the bottom which is a pain in the hoop.

i Love mine and dont see anything better for the same money.
Old 23 August 2015, 11:28 AM
WrxSti03
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi thanks for the fast reply. You mentioned they are harsher than the bcs. I'm currently still on the standard STi springs and shocks and the clunking on the rear shocks is just getting to me now and plus I'd like it to sit slightly lower and thought coilovers would probably be the best bet rather than aftermarket springs and shocks.
Did the hsd''s improve the handling over the standard STi suspension. Also do they soak up potholes and such very well as I don't want a too harsh ride.

Thanks.

John.
Old 23 August 2015, 03:56 PM
Hangarrat93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WrxSti03
Hi thanks for the fast reply. You mentioned they are harsher than the bcs. I'm currently still on the standard STi springs and shocks and the clunking on the rear shocks is just getting to me now and plus I'd like it to sit slightly lower and thought coilovers would probably be the best bet rather than aftermarket springs and shocks.
Did the hsd''s improve the handling over the standard STi suspension. Also do they soak up potholes and such very well as I don't want a too harsh ride.

Thanks.

John.
The HSD's definitly improved the feel and handling of the car for sure. But only on a smooth road. I found that on corners with large compressions in the braking zone that the front wheels struggled to maintain a constant contact patch under load.

The inverted system on the monopros will help you go very low if that's the sort of thing you are after.

If it's just a fast road setup up you're looking for I've heard that standard or peder struts with slightly stiffer springs and some geo adjustment beats the entry level coilover market hands down. Personally I only bought the HSD's because my car is used on track more than road and they suited my small budget. They don't soak up potholes nearly as well as standard suspension.

Hope this helps.
Old 23 August 2015, 05:03 PM
daddyd
Scooby Regular

i'm really happy with my hsd monopro's on my classic. still going strong after a year.
the only negative point for me, is the same as mentioned before, the stiffness adjuster is a the bottom, which makes it harder to make changes.
excellent on track.
Old 01 September 2015, 11:54 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just fitted the HSD Dualtechs on my newage wagon. Handling is so much better. The adjustability is good, quality is good and they actually ride quite nice. Obviously "riding quite nice" depends on your perception of lowered cars with coilovers equipped. I've always had fairly low cars with harder suspension so to me, it is still what I'd class as comfortable.