Notices
Subaru Parts This forum contains Subaru parts offered for sale by our members only.

Genuine Scooby ECU chip upgrades - suits classics to 1996

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2009, 06:16 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Genuine Scooby ECU chip upgrades - suits classics to 1996

No Chips Currently!

Check out my signature for a link to the new FAQ. Loads of people asking the same kinds of questions last time, so I thought it'd be easier for everyone if I made a list of the most commonly asked questions and answers. It goes without saying that if you have questions that aren't covered, PM me and I'll do my best to give you a clear answer ASAP.

Through some wheeler-dealing, I managed to get hold of a handful of the genuine 27C1028 Fujitsu chips. This in itself isn't earth-shattering news, but I'm also good mates with Dave Blades (a.k.a. dnb) who was one of the original developers of the 'Scooby ECU' code (along with Scott Taylor, Paul Blamire, Dave Wallis et al...), arguably the best map available for a classic Scoob.

Not only is this a complete map, but it's the map that is the most widely used and most reliable. It also updates your ECU's firmware to version Z4. Dave has agreed to flash these chips with a map to suit your requirements. He has versions available depending on whether you have a wagon or saloon, UK, WRX or STI (we can cater for TD04 or TD05) These chips will fit all classics upto 1996.

Other mods are not required for this map to be effective, but the usual breathing modifications, i.e. exhaust and filter will certainly help to unlock its full potential. Please note that injectors must be standard size.

They're a simple fit, just open up the ECU (6 screws), pop the chip into the spare socket on the circuit board and you're done (full fitting instructions will be provided). Note that this is the guniune 27C1028 Fujitsu chip, not the two 512 chips plugged into a daughterboard (a most inelegant solution). If no socket is present, I can fit one for you for the postage cost of your ECU to me and back again, or I can simply supply the socket for you to fit.

So, what does the chip actually do? A lot of people will know this already, but for those that don't...

1. Raise boost level with factory boost control solenoid (no need for aftermarket boost controller) to 1.1 bar (~16 psi).
2. Adjust fuelling and timing to suit UK super unleaded fuels (97 RON) (conservative, economical settings for cruise, but safe settings for boost).
3. Update firmware of ECU to Z4 (the latest version).
4. Raise fuel cutoff level to just above max boost.
5. Finally, will give reliable everyday power (~280bhp conservative estimate) and more economy on normal off-boost driving.

This map is the cumulation of lots of testing and hard work and is the best map available for the classic Scoobs.

All this for £100 delivered? I must be mad.

Please note, I'm not a trader, this is not a business, I just managed to get lucky finding some Fujitsu chips and having Dave Blades as a friend

Edit: Forgot to say, these chips come with fitting instructions. If you don't fancy fitting one, you can send the ECU to me and I'll fit it. All I ask is that you pay the postage.

Last edited by Major_Sarcasm; 11 December 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 26 July 2009, 06:56 PM
customboy
Scooby Regular

I guess they won't work on my 97 uk cataluyna impreza will they if they can I will defo take one from u
Old 26 July 2009, 07:01 PM
beario
Scooby Regular

could i ask whats the difference between these and a polar performance chip that scott taylor sells...many thanks...
Old 26 July 2009, 07:19 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevehf2 via PM
Chip.

I have a 96 sti wagon import running 271bhp with de-cat pipe and filter. Will I get anymore BHP? Also it has a splutter between 4000-5000 revs would this cure that problem?

Steve
Hi Steve

I couldn't reply via PM as your inbox is full

You'll certainly notice an improvement in bhp, the STIs respond well, but more importantly the fuel requirement will be reduced from 100RON to 97RON which will reduce potential knock.

The splutter is probably a coil pack going down, no chip'll help with that, in fact it'll likely make it worse as the engine is stressed a little more with higher boost Take each coil pack out and check for cracking or arcing around the bit that sockets over the spark plug.

Steve
Old 26 July 2009, 07:23 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by customboy
I guess they won't work on my 97 uk cataluyna impreza will they if they can I will defo take one from u
No, only to MY96 my friend unless it was a 96 registered really late. If your intercooler is skewed to the intake, rather than being square-on, it'll fit.

Originally Posted by beario
could i ask whats the difference between these and a polar performance chip that scott taylor sells...many thanks...
I can't comment on what maps Scott uses, Beario, as I don't know. Could be the same. All I know is that these maps were developed by some of the best & most well-known brains and are the most common maps found in aftermarket chips.
Old 26 July 2009, 09:37 PM
SILVERSCOOB81
Scooby Regular

how many of these do you have available for sale mate
Old 26 July 2009, 10:43 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

My mate has a 96 Sti wagon 260ps that he has just bought a saloons 280ps motor for. It runs a TD05 with a standard Z4 ECU. Will your chip take it to 280ps?
Old 26 July 2009, 11:04 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SILVERSCOOB81
how many of these do you have available for sale mate
I managed to snag 20 chips. I don't expect to have them for long I won't be getting any more, strictly a one-time deal for me.

Originally Posted by fastboyslim
My mate has a 96 Sti wagon 260ps that he has just bought a saloons 280ps motor for. It runs a TD05 with a standard Z4 ECU. Will your chip take it to 280ps?
Yes, arguably slightly more with breathing mods, i.e. filter and exhaust.

Forgot to say (and I'll edit my original post), these chips come with comprehensive fitting instructions.
Old 09 September 2009, 06:26 AM
ariser
Scooby Regular

I have one of these running in my 93 wrx and the difference from the jap z4 ecu i had before is amazing. Better boost, smoother running , pulls better. I can thoroughly recommend one of these if you have a classic.
Old 09 September 2009, 11:16 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

You have PM
Old 09 September 2009, 11:54 AM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm interested in one, I have a 1994 Turbo 2000.

PM me.

Old 09 September 2009, 07:49 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ariser
I have one of these running in my 93 wrx and the difference from the jap z4 ecu i had before is amazing. Better boost, smoother running , pulls better. I can thoroughly recommend one of these if you have a classic.
Thanks Aris, I'm pleased the chip has made such a difference to your car

All PMs replied to.
Old 09 September 2009, 10:52 PM
morris77
Scooby Regular

hi i'll have 1 i've got a 95 wrx import with z4 and td05
Old 10 September 2009, 05:59 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Steve you have another PM .... and thanks (Y)
Old 10 September 2009, 07:39 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

All PMs replied to
Old 10 September 2009, 08:31 PM
shoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Evening all just reading this post and will add my 2p worth.MY own MY96wrx has had a Scooby ECU fitted for some years now.With a decat,panel filter,Walbro pump and HS ported headers my car is running 310bhp and 286Lb/ft injectors are 97%maxed but i get lovely acceleration and about 29MPGHope this helps any one Best regards Mal....
Old 10 September 2009, 09:02 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

I should point out that shoobydoo's comments are entirely his own and are unsolicited by me.

That said, I'm grateful for your input mate
Old 10 September 2009, 09:23 PM
shoobydoo
Scooby Regular

No worries mate.Mine was fitted years ago by ScoobyClinic and works a treat but it is really at its upper limits now.Obviously for mor power now i need to upgrade to 440cc or above and this means i will need a new stand alone ECU and remap but for a plug and play unit have never been able to fault my own one.Ps im from Teesside and have no association to this sale just adding some of my own experience of chip.Best regards Mal....
Old 15 September 2009, 04:42 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

it arrived today Steve and its in .... many thanks ( I,l test it later when plods asleep lol )
Old 15 September 2009, 07:27 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Excellent, let me know how you get on please
Old 18 September 2009, 06:24 PM
uklee
Scooby Newbie

YHPM
Old 18 September 2009, 06:40 PM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

This has to be the best 100 quid I,ve spent this year....... mine runs sweater off boost and pulls like train on boost
Old 18 September 2009, 09:25 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uklee
YHPM
Back atcha mate.

Originally Posted by fastmike
This has to be the best 100 quid I,ve spent this year....... mine runs sweater off boost and pulls like train on boost
Mike, pleased that everything's ok for you

To anyone else considering having one of the chips; please ensure that your car doesn't have any mechanical issues before you order one. Believe me, any problems that seem insignificant can be accentuated by running more boost and a different map.

Make sure your coil packs are up to snuff (your car will misfire under increased boost if they are a bit suspect, even if they seem fine under normal boost).

If your car is mechanically good, you'll get results like fastmike
Old 19 September 2009, 09:15 AM
V555MAC
Scooby Regular

Just to add to the above comments, I've recently just put in a Prova chipped ecu ( before these chips were available ) in my V2 555 STI, although I believe this map to be slightly more aggressive than this chip set-up, the difference is night and day. 4th gear pulls like 3rd and 5th like 4th, better running, better tick over, way more low down torque, and spools up better with increased top end boost, just ask the Megane R26R I went past last night.

As a precaution I fitted a v5 tmic, walbro pump, decat exhaust, rcm lightened pulleys and a apexi ind kit. I run the car on V-power and octane booster and the car is flying. Bottom line is that this type of ecu upgrade works and is a worthy addition to a fit slightly modded Impreza, and it retains the factory diagnostic and safety parameters!!

Get one now

Last edited by V555MAC; 19 September 2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 19 September 2009, 09:30 AM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments, Mac.

You are probably correct in your assumption about aggressiveness of the map. These are safe maps, not too aggressive but will provide improvements across the rev-range and are specifically mapped for 97 RON.
Old 19 September 2009, 01:36 PM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

Default plods

Originally Posted by fastmike
it arrived today Steve and its in .... many thanks ( I,l test it later when plods asleep lol )
They never sleep lol
Old 19 September 2009, 05:45 PM
Scooby_El
Scooby Regular

Hi, from what ive heard im very interested in purchasing one of these chips asap...

I have a 95 WRX running a Z4 ECU, TD05 turbo, Decat system, HKS hybrid panel filter and a walbro fuel pump....its currently boosting to 0.8 bar...any idea what affect i can expect??

PM me

Thanks, Ell
Old 19 September 2009, 06:07 PM
ariser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_El
Hi, from what ive heard im very interested in purchasing one of these chips asap...

I have a 95 WRX running a Z4 ECU, TD05 turbo, Decat system, HKS hybrid panel filter and a walbro fuel pump....its currently boosting to 0.8 bar...any idea what affect i can expect??

PM me

Thanks, Ell
Im running the same setup on a 93 wrx and recently put on of these chips in place of my z4 and it now boosts to one . something on my gauge as it only goes up to one and is a hell of a lot smoother in normal driving idles a lot better and generally pulls better and faster and i can stop putting 99 fuel in and go to 97 which saves a few pennies too
Old 19 September 2009, 06:40 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby_El

PM me

Thanks, Ell
You have a PM (or you will have as soon as I've written it).
Old 20 September 2009, 09:15 AM
pandyman
Scooby Regular

you have PM

Quick Reply: Genuine Scooby ECU chip upgrades - suits classics to 1996