Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

Black '97 WRX STI, Rebuilt, **More Pictures Added** Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2012, 02:40 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black '97 WRX STI, Rebuilt, **More Pictures Added** Please Read

Up for sale is my 1997 Version 4 Subaru Impreza WRX STI.

First of all, the reason I am selling is that I am moving to Canada in summer once I graduate University, and can't really afford to store the car here for my infrequent visits home.

The car is a JDM import, and was owned by the previous owner from fresh import, I am the second owner since the car was imported.

The previous owner was an enthusiast, and used to show the car at various shows around the country. The car used to have the full official rally decal kit on it, but when I purchased the car, this wasn't to my taste, so I removed them all.

When I purchased the car, it was pretty much standard, bar a few small cosmetic upgrades, and a simple exhaust and filter upgrade (notice no ECU upgrade). After owning the car for about 5 months, the engine gave way, and one of the pistons melted. Here come's the money...

I decided to buy a new engine for her, and make sure this problem wouldn't happen again. So, I started searching around for a couple of months, and eventually found the engine I wanted, from a respected Impreza club member who was breaking their car.

Please find below details of the engine:

Details of the engine rebuild -

"Engine work was done about 18 months ago and the car's done 7000 miles since, but for the whole time the car has been running on a good map done by Simon Roe aka jollygreenmonster, so hasn't been subjected to any knock. I also had a phormula knock meter fitted, so I'm absolutely definate that there was no knock.

The engine wasn't stripped due to damage, but to inspect it before upgrading the turbo etc to make sure all was well internally, and upgrade the headgasket and bolts to ensure it could be reliably run at 1.4 bar of boost with no fear of headgasket failure.

The engine was totally stripped, and inspected thoroughly. The bottom end bearings were perfect and were reused. This was because Sti bearings are matched perfectly to the engine, and even fitting ACL race bearings will not be as good as the originals, unless the originals are worn. Quite a few of the top tuners will tell you this also.

Rings were inspected and gapped, and also found to be perfect, and the bottom end was built back up using all genuine Subaru gaskets.

The heads were also stripped and inspected, given a very light skim to ensure flatness, the valves were lapped in, and re-shimmed using genuine Subaru shims, and were fitted back to the block using Uprated Cometic 1.6mm metal headgaskets and uprated ARP Studs were used to replace the head bolts.
All new Genuine Subaru rocker gaskets etc were fitted, including every gasket on the rockers and heads, these will often leak on Subarus, and can actually drip on the exhaust headers and start a fire. Obviously these are not leaking, and will last for a good few years yet.

Genuine Subaru cambelt and tensioners were fitted, so won't need replacing for some time.

The exhaust headers were ported to match the exhaust ports of the heads, and fitted with genuine subaru gaskets. also the bottom of the up-pipe was matched to the headers, and fitted with a genuine gasket also. This helps the turbo spool up much quicker.

New plugs were fitted of the next grade to standard, to cope with running higher boost with a mapped engine.

As I said, it has been mapped ever since it was built, and I've had no problems with it whatsoever, and it hasn't been using any oil.

It's had an oil change at 3250 miles, and again at 6500, and has done a further 500 miles since, so won't beneeding an oil change for some time. It has a genuine subaru filter and silkolene pro r oil."

So, as you can see, this was a very good, strong, and well looked after engine, which had recently been rebuilt, so at a cost of £1000 I snapped it right up. The engine had covered ~50k miles before it was voluntarily rebuilt.

Whilst the engine was being replaced, I decided to uprate a few other bits and pieces whilst everything was getting done. So, I purchased an RCM400 turbo to replace the VF24, some FiveOMotorsports 750cc injectors, a fuellab 3 port fuel pressure regulator, an RCM fuel pump, new fuel filter, an Apexi Power FC ECU + commander, and have everything installed with the new engine, so that not only would I not have to worry about anything failing in the near future, but she would come back a whole new beast!

All work was carried out by DLM Motors in Darlington, who works very closely with Harvey Smith, and is very reputable in the Subaru world.

After the engine was fitted, the next week she was taken over to Harvey Smith's house, and in turn mapped by the very reputable Bob Rawle. So, the new engine was not only recently rebuilt, and ran on a good map from that point, but was instantly remapped again by Bob Rawle once my new bits were added.

The car should be running around 360-370 BHP @ 1.4 bar peak, but I have not had the car dyno'd, and in all honesty, I have never drivin the car very hard at all since actually having the work carried out.

Engine Spec list as follows:

Rebuilt engine (~67k on the engine total, ~9k since the rebuild total, 7k by previous owner, 2k from myself)
Parrallel fuel rail mod
ARP Head studs
1.6mm Cometic head gaskets
RCM 400 Turbo
RCM Fuel Pump
FuelLab fuel pressure regulator
Fiveo 750CC injectors
Apexi Power FC ECU + Commander (mapped by Bob Rawle)
Ported headers
Apexi Induction Kit
Japspeed 3" Downpipe coupling to Ninja 2.5" centre section and Ninja Backbox (all catalytic converters removed)
GFB Bovus Maximus dump valve
Aluminium Intercooler splitter
NGK plugs (1 grade colder than standard)
Silkolene ProR / Fuchs Titan Race 10w50 oil
Fully serviced when fitted & new cambelt fitted when engine rebuilt
Overall excellent condition.

Interior Spec:

Standard Version 4/5 interior
Midnight roof lining (black felt inside)
Centre console and glovebox tailored with grey alcantary to match seats and doorcards
Nardi Steering wheel
Boost, Oil pressure and Oil Temperature gauges in centre console pod
Custom installed Blitz turbo timer into the dashboard
Overall excellent condition.

Audio:

Pioneer Double Din headunit, with built in hands free kit and integrated USB slot for iPod.
The hands free kit has been built into the roof lining, and the USB slot has been installed into the centre console next to the handbreak. Really amazing setup.
Fusion front component speakers
Fusion rear 6x9 speakers

Exterior Spec:

Large STI Spoiler
JUN Front splitter
OEM Wind Deflectors
Front Mudflaps
Full crystal headlight conversion
18" Inovit Alloys (Volk TE37 replica)
Tinted windows
Overall very good condition.

Security:

Plenty. Certificates present for security sevices installed.

Car is still running on standard suspension setup, as this was still a good setup for me, given I don't push the car hard, and it has just been used as a daily driver to and from University and to Ice Hockey training for me.

Now, as with most cars, there are some not so perfect points to the car, and these are listed below:

I didn't drive the car very much over winter (as I hate the idea of my chasis rotting) so the front calipers need some attention. The brakes work fine, but it seems the bottom pistons on each front caliper have siezed over winter.

The front JUN Splitter has been cracked whilst the car was put on to the recovery truck when having the engine replaced, and I have not bothered to have this repaired.

The oil pressure sender has corroded at the sandwich plate, and is not reading any correct values, so the oil pressure gauge is non-functional at the moment.

The wheels, I have managed to curb around the edges, which can be repaired no problem.

Apart from that, the car is in great condition, there is no rust on the bodywork, and for its age, it is very good condition. The engine is perfect, and very reliable and fast.

The clocks on the car are coming up to 123,000, but a good fraction of this is in Kilometers before the car was converted to miles.

Despite the clocks showing this figure, as mentioned above, the car has it's new rebuilt engine, which has covered around 9,000 miles since it was rebuilt (7k from previous owner, 2k from myself).

Pictures:

The car is MOT'd until the end of May 2012.

The tax is due to run out at the end of January 2012, but I will be renewing this, so the car will come with 6 months tax.

I have a folder full of receipts here, as well as all previous MOTs and receipts for the recent work I had carried out on the car.

Baring in mind the hard work and money gone in to this car, as well as taking in to account the bad bits mentioned, I have set the price as follows:

Price: £3750 ono

Any questions, feel free to get in touch.

Many Thanks,

David

Last edited by Fragmau5; 23 January 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 20 January 2012, 03:00 PM
paulcass
Scooby Regular

pics please
Old 20 January 2012, 03:08 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

I have added a few pictures, but I am getting the car valeted this weekend and will be updating the thread with a comprehensive set of pictures.

Thanks
Old 20 January 2012, 04:22 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

nice car mate glws.
Old 20 January 2012, 05:58 PM
Major_Sarcasm
Scooby Regular

Black car, black wheels, red detailing
Old 22 January 2012, 10:28 AM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

Lots more pictures added. More pictures should be coming today from a a better camera too
Old 23 January 2012, 12:28 AM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

All PM's have been replied to

Just to clear up, the car is actually a 1997 R reg, not 1998.

Also, here are some more clear photos as promised:

Old 23 January 2012, 12:42 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

I've had a few PM's asking similar questions, so here is a bit more info on the engine (who built it, fitted it, receipts available) etc.

The engine was built by the previous owner who is a professional mechanical engineer as his profession. If you want to look him up, his username on here is 'driveeminpushemout'.

As for parts used, it is all listed in the for sale thread. The engine wasn't rebuilt because it had failed, it was fully stripped, with components inspected for any wear, and then parts with any wear or parts which were either prone to failure or could be uprated to safely handle further supporting mods were replaced or upgraded to a higher spec. So, as I say, the engine wasn't rebuilt because of a previous failure, it was just fully stripped, inspected, uprated where necessary to handle the required power, and then rebuilt using all brand new genuine subaru gaskets, and valves lapped using genuine subaru shims etc.

Here is a youtube link of the engine still in his car before he decided to break it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0K05...layer_embedded

I went on to buy the engine for £1000, as one of my pistons had melted in my old engine due to running on the standard jap map. I don't have a receipt for the engine as it was a 'Private' sale on here, but I have all of the PM's from him as proof of purchase still in my inbox.

I do have the receipt for the RCM400 turbo though (£1406.99), as well as the brand new RCM fuel pump (£150), and the fitting and inspection of the engine and turbo, which was done at DLM Motors (£450), as well as loads of other receipts for less important bits. The fuellab 3port FPR was brand new, but purchased off a member on here (£120), and the Apexi PFC was purchased from another forum member (£450), so again, receipts are not present for those items.

As for the bodywork, as pictured and mentioned, splitter could do with replacing to be honest (not really worth repairing given a new one is like £70), and there is a small ding on the passenger side door. This is nothing major, and I didn't even notice it until I was taking the photos of the car this weekend. There is a small scratch on the back bumper too, but it's not very deep, I've just not had time to take any rubbing compound to it yet, but im more than confident that it would polish out. Apart from that, the bodywork is in great condition, and there is no rust anywhere on the body.

I forgot to mention, the boot is also soundproofed purely because I value my hearing, so the car sounds just nice from inside, but still has the noise you would expect from it from the outside.

Hope this helps guys,

Many thanks.
Old 23 January 2012, 09:13 PM
Fragmau5
Scooby Regular

SOLD