Notices
Subaru This forum contains only Subarus offered for sale by our members.

Spec C advice

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2016, 11:12 AM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec C advice

hi, i detailed this before i think.

anyway. i have a... fixer upper Spec C.

it is in bad condition, though it should be possible to restore it fully if someone undertook it as a project.

has been in a minor collision, T-boned by a granny (fixed by insurance) though the fuel tank lid doesn't work since. i manually open it.

i have spun it off the road into a ditch, broken front splitter. back bumper has been bashed in a car park.

there is rattling when going over bumps. i suspect from the bumper but also there has been a metallic sounding rattle for years also.

the steering is extremely loose/sloppy. has been for years now, multiple garages couldn't fix it, given up on that.

there is some rust in areas. the car gets humid/wet inside, especially the back. i suspect due to gap in roof hatch (been a problem since i got it)

wheels have a some kerbing. would need to check how bad.

has done about 60k (though i'd need to check) the engine blew at around 30-35k due to failure of a water cooler pump or something. engine was rebuilt... though i don't think i have a receipt for that, need to check that.

i don't get it serviced as much as i should.

turbo/induction kit never worked the same since it got bumped from behind when stationary in car park and front shunted into a tree. though it is sill no slouch, there is a lot of power to be regained if fixed.

central locking stopped working a few months ago. alarm still works though (with central locking) though i don't use it, so i manually use the key now.

not very enticing, though i drive it still every day despite its problems. i can still overtake people, though B-roads it is useless due to steering. even though it handles like it's on ice, and is down on power, it is still very capable of putting a grin on your face.

i am thinking about getting rid of it, though i don't know the best way to go about it. i don't have the skill to break it. do you think someone would even buy this? and how much would it be worth? fob it off to webuyanycar?

what do you think?

if it was half a mechanic, i would definitely like to fix it up and restore it to glory as it was a blinding car in the beginning before these catalogue of mishaps. maybe someone with skill would be interested in doing that?

this is my only car, so i can't sell it until i have something else lined up. not sure what i'm doing, so just asking for advice right now.

thanks.

Last edited by walterwhite; 04 October 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04 October 2016, 11:45 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

My advice would be to start by paying for a Snet subscription so that your for sale threads like this one don't get taken down.

Personally, it sounds like a lot of work but I do appreciate your honesty listing all the issues. Worth putting an Ebay ad up for it listing these and see where you get?
Old 04 October 2016, 12:07 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
My advice would be to start by paying for a Snet subscription so that your for sale threads like this one don't get taken down.

Personally, it sounds like a lot of work but I do appreciate your honesty listing all the issues. Worth putting an Ebay ad up for it listing these and see where you get?
i payed 2 squid for a month. isn't that me good for now? (even though this isn't even strictly a sales ad, just advice at this point - i know they get shirty if they think you are advertising without paying)

it is a lot of work yes, though if you could get the steering alone fixed, the car would be immeasurably improved for a start.

not sure about ebay. for a start they tax you 10% minimum + paypal fees 3/4%.

Last edited by walterwhite; 04 October 2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04 October 2016, 12:09 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I think so. I can't remember now if you needed to pay extra for selling stuff. My membership used to let me do everything but then it all changed and I was paying £4 a month to just sell. Who knows!

Have you got any pics of the car?
Old 04 October 2016, 12:13 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds mega. theres a spec c shell on ebay for 600 i also think scott at scooby spares has a mint shell.
Old 04 October 2016, 12:20 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

To be honest, Jake has a point. From the sound of it, your car is probably best off broken for spares (no offense meant). But on the plus side, these days people make more money breaking these cars than they do selling complete. Breakers like Scoobyspares and Matty are offering above market price for STI's to be broken. A Spec C will break for good money so this will be your best option by far I suspect.
Old 04 October 2016, 12:24 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

i could get pics at some point.

the main problem is the steering by far. if that was fixed, i'd probably keep it some more years, as it only has maybe less than 30K miles on the engine (since rebuild)

i got it when it had 25k on it.

Last edited by walterwhite; 04 October 2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04 October 2016, 12:25 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
To be honest, Jake has a point. From the sound of it, your car is probably best off broken for spares (no offense meant). But on the plus side, these days people make more money breaking these cars than they do selling complete. Breakers like Scoobyspares and Matty are offering above market price for STI's to be broken. A Spec C will break for good money so this will be your best option by far I suspect.
i can just about replace a wheel so i have no mechanical skill. how would i go about this then? and how much could i get for it potentially and very roughly?
Old 04 October 2016, 12:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Just contact Scott @ Scoobyspares and Matty @ MB Developments. Ring them if need be and discuss it. They will give you an indication of price over the phone but both probably want to see the car still.

http://scoobyspares.blogspot.co.uk/ or https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=116663

https://www.scoobynet.com/itrader.php?u=83516

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 04 October 2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04 October 2016, 12:38 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

By the way, I'm not suggesting you break the car yourself, they will buy it as a complete car from you and they will then break it to make a little profit. But the price they are giving to buy complete cars is very good at the moment. More than you'd get selling privately I suspect.
Old 04 October 2016, 12:41 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

i see, thanks.

only problem is i'm up in scotland, i guess they'd have to check it over first/test drive it?
Old 04 October 2016, 01:08 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Why don't you ring them and find out?

There may be another breaker further up north that could help you out in the same way. You'll have to do your own searching though I'm afraid.
Old 04 October 2016, 01:14 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

they will travel for the right car, tbh it sounds like a death trap. and driving it knowing it has a steering problem is frankly quite shocking,

in terms of the steering what has been don to rectify it, do you have any printouts of the geo? whats been replaced?
Old 04 October 2016, 01:22 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

will have to check my records... problem is i know **** all about the mechanics of a car.

it would be dodgy for someone else to drive, but i am used to it and sort of compensate my driving for it/know exactly what to expect of it. the intuitiveness you'd expect is gone.

i mean, it is pretty bad... but it can still can driven round a bend at 60mph, it's not like it's undrivable. driving a bit faster in a straight line can be worse than corners!

Last edited by walterwhite; 04 October 2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04 October 2016, 01:35 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

As Jake said, the breakers will travel and they will have recovery trucks/trailers to collect the right car.
Old 04 October 2016, 02:36 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This has to be the most jinxed and incident prone car I've ever heard of... so many unrelated issues and accidents!

Never mind taking it to a mechanic... it sounds like it needs taking to a priest for an exorcism!
Old 04 October 2016, 03:02 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike74
This has to be the most jinxed and incident prone car I've ever heard of... so many unrelated issues and accidents!

Never mind taking it to a mechanic... it sounds like it needs taking to a priest for an exorcism!

Sounds like the sort of thing I end up buying by mistake!

I think the steering really wants a new rack if everything else has been done. You might find it isn't so offputting if you can fix that. You're probaby looking at a couple of hundred quid for the Spec C rack though.

You say you've no mechanical ability; maybe now's the time to get learning? It doesn't sound like you could make the car much worse!
Old 04 October 2016, 04:01 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

i need to try and gauge how much this car may be worth before i do anything...

i believe it's 04 on an 05 plate.

what typically are the most valuable parts of a car when it gets broken? engine obviously, how much do they go for?

what other parts are valuable? and how much could you get wholesale? (for breaking)

thanks.
Old 04 October 2016, 04:12 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Christ you're hard work! Why are you bothering to find out how much individual parts are worth? Are you now going to break it yourself with no mechanical understanding as you've pointed out a few times before?

Do some research and find out how much a normal STI of that year sells for currently. Look on eBay and Autotrader this will give you a good idea how much they are being put up for, but not how much they are actually selling for.

If you contact the breakers they will offer you 1 price to BUY THE WHOLE CAR from you, not the parts. THEY will then break it in their own time once THEY own it. It's like selling your car privately but with FAR less hassle from tyre kickers.

You don't need to find out how much the individual parts are worth and if you have any questions then the breakers are the best people to ask.

Ring them up, give them the car details and they will probably give you a price over the phone I'll bet.
Old 04 October 2016, 04:18 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

if they ask how much i am looking for (which i've already been asked a few times) i have absolutely no clue what it is worth... and don't want to low ball myself, as i need as much money as i can get to fund a new RS focus.

are you saying the breakers are going to offer me their best price pointblank before asking me what i'd like first? i find that hard to believe. for all they know, i may ask for a significantly less sum than they were prepared to pay. these are business men, are they not?

Last edited by walterwhite; 04 October 2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04 October 2016, 04:23 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

They will probably ask you what you want 1st out of courtesy. If it's too much then they will say goodbye as it will be unrealistic for them to break with no profit in the effort put in.

Any breaker worth their salt will then tell you what they are prepared to pay for the car as a whole. These guys break so many of these cars they will have a figure in mind the second you tell them what car it is. Trust me.
Old 04 October 2016, 04:45 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

ok... so how much would you ask for it? (realistically)
Old 04 October 2016, 04:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a wind up.
Old 04 October 2016, 04:50 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I give up!
Old 04 October 2016, 04:54 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 04 October 2016, 04:56 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

urgh. this was this main reason i posted here.

is it £1000? £5000? obviously it isn't 10k.
Old 04 October 2016, 05:11 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

so were talking blobeye then

given its been in two bumps, the steering rack and suspension components sound shagged, then factor in a rebuilt engine thats not running right, a breakers guna offer nothing for it, 3-4k if your lucky
Old 04 October 2016, 05:13 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

yes, blob.

why is the engine not running right?

it's fine. probably the best part in the car.
Old 04 October 2016, 05:24 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

rough pics, can get better ones after if required. back bumper on right is paint damaged (both bumpers are useless anyway i'd say)

Last edited by walterwhite; 04 October 2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04 October 2016, 05:34 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

turbo/induction kit never worked the same since it got bumped from behind when stationary in car park and front shunted into a tree. though it is sill no slouch, there is a lot of power to be regained if fixed.

Quick Reply: Spec C advice