Notices
Styling Exterior styling

Blobeye WRX to STi bumper upgrade questions?...

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2011, 09:24 PM
Bewick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye WRX to STi bumper upgrade questions?...

Evening all. I have recently bought a 2004 WRX blobeye. It already has the STi rear spoiler fitted and want to change to front to match. At present it has the original WRX bumper fitted with the usual spot lights. I have just bought some genuine fog light covers from a member on here but haven't arrived yet. I'm guessing by what pictures I've seen I remove the fog lights and light shrouds and use the existing holes to mount the fog light covers?

Next I want to get some winglets, I know they very rarely surface on here or the popular auction site for sale in pairs, so I'm tempted just to go for some replica ones. I'm a little unsure of how they fit and will they fit a normal WRX bumper as the STi bumper I was looking at looked as if it has slots cut out for the winglets to fit into? I just can't justify buying a STi bumper when the one I have is in good condition.

Lastly I want to finish it off with a lip splitter like the V-Ltd one. I have seen a load on the usual auction site ranging around the £100 mark, however I have seen some that say only suitable for STi bumpers and some only for WRX bumpers, will I go need the STi suitable one with me fitting the winglets (if I can fit the winglets to a non-STi bumper that is!) or do I get the actual WRX fitting splitter 'cos the actual bumper is a WRX one? I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to achieve and hope some can guide me through the best way of doing it. Also any tips on how to remove the fog lights and shrouds would be helpful

Thanks in advance for any help and advice, Dan
Old 16 November 2011, 11:08 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bewick
Evening all. I have recently bought a 2004 WRX blobeye. It already has the STi rear spoiler fitted and want to change to front to match. At present it has the original WRX bumper fitted with the usual spot lights. I have just bought some genuine fog light covers from a member on here but haven't arrived yet. I'm guessing by what pictures I've seen I remove the fog lights and light shrouds and use the existing holes to mount the fog light covers?

Next I want to get some winglets, I know they very rarely surface on here or the popular auction site for sale in pairs, so I'm tempted just to go for some replica ones. I'm a little unsure of how they fit and will they fit a normal WRX bumper as the STi bumper I was looking at looked as if it has slots cut out for the winglets to fit into? I just can't justify buying a STi bumper when the one I have is in good condition.

Lastly I want to finish it off with a lip splitter like the V-Ltd one. I have seen a load on the usual auction site ranging around the £100 mark, however I have seen some that say only suitable for STi bumpers and some only for WRX bumpers, will I go need the STi suitable one with me fitting the winglets (if I can fit the winglets to a non-STi bumper that is!) or do I get the actual WRX fitting splitter 'cos the actual bumper is a WRX one? I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to achieve and hope some can guide me through the best way of doing it. Also any tips on how to remove the fog lights and shrouds would be helpful

Thanks in advance for any help and advice, Dan
There is a scooby meet at revolution motorstore on saturday at gateshead, starts at 11, pop down and i'm sure one of us will be able to help.
Old 16 November 2011, 11:21 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Yes you can just keep your WRX bumper and add the fog lights to it instead of the surrounds. And if you get the winglets then you can just attach them to your WRX bumper, but you will need the STi lip then (you can get a WRX lip if you don't put any winglets on).

But as Steve said, pop along to Revolution and you'll get to talk it through properly with someone.
Old 17 November 2011, 05:42 AM
Bewick
Scooby Regular

I'm stuck at work all day till 3pm otherwise I would have loved to pop down. Gutted about that. But cheers for clearing those questions up for me though. At least I know they'll fit on and I'm not wasting my money on stuff that won't fit!! I'm guessing the STi lip splitter is just a bit wider to compensate for the winglets by what you said above ^^

Thanks again chaps and sorry I can't show my face down revolution :-(

Dan
Old 17 November 2011, 02:34 PM
jak_daniels
Scooby Regular

Did this myself to my WRX, if you are gonna fit oem winglets you will need to cut your bumper for that clips to slot in, if you cut them off you will be relying on some kind of adhesive to hold them on, but sooner or later they will fly off
Old 17 November 2011, 10:11 PM
Bewick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jak_daniels
Did this myself to my WRX, if you are gonna fit oem winglets you will need to cut your bumper for that clips to slot in, if you cut them off you will be relying on some kind of adhesive to hold them on, but sooner or later they will fly off
Cheers for the advice jak. I saw some replica ones on eBay that look like they're designed to fit normal WRX bumpers I'm just worried about how well they'll look when they're painted and fitted. I'm guessing by what you said you cut the slots for the oem ones? Also did you attach a splitter too, if so which one did you pick and how did the fitting of it go? Thanks again, Dan
Old 17 November 2011, 10:39 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Just buy genuine winglets as by the time you have paid to have replicas painted properly you won't save anything and the genuine ones fit perfect I did this upgrade on my old wrx this along with the sti side skirts really made a difference visually
Old 18 November 2011, 07:40 AM
Neil..
Scooby Regular

Winglets = STi splitter.

No winglets = WRX splitter.

You can't use one splitter for both.
Old 19 November 2011, 02:44 PM
jak_daniels
Scooby Regular

As said ^^^^ if you fit the winglets you need the Sti splitter as its raised in the middle , think they are very similarly priced as the WRX ones, got mine from HT Autos in Manchester, but it only lasted about a month before i snapped it up a high kerb , but fitting the splitter is easy, about 8 bolts. It was daunting cutting my bumper but it all went well and mine look great
Old 20 November 2011, 09:44 AM
Bewick
Scooby Regular

class, cheers so much for the advice and guidance chaps! I have the fog light covers on their way and found a STi shape spoiler at a decent price, now i'm just being a tight @rse and waiting for some genuine winglets coming up for sale at a decent price

Thanks again so much!

Dan
Old 29 November 2011, 10:31 PM
Bewick
Scooby Regular

Daz1968 regarding the side skirts, do they simply fit on using the original holes as I have sourced a set of STi ones, just need them painting and fitting

thanks in advancve, Dan