Notices
Styling Exterior styling

How many of you have had a front bumper re-spray?

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2011, 11:43 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you have had a front bumper re-spray?

Im wondering how common it is to have the front bumper re-sprayed on a Subaru. I know stone chips are common but would a three or four year old car really need a re-spray that early? My 2006/56 (so only just over 4 years old) has clearly had a re-spray on the front bumper when you look very closely, as I can unfortunately see very small areas which have flaked off (barely noticable unless you look closely), so clearly not the best re-spray. What annoys me is I did look closely at the front bumper when I bought it from the main dealer 3 weeks ago and didn't notice anything, as my previous car had had a bad re-spray which I ended up getting fixed at my expense so wanted to avoid this when I bought my subaru. My hawkeye is thankfully not flaking noticably but I suspect after my fortnightly or weekly wash and wax the flaking may become noticable. How much are front bumper re-sprays normally? I assume I'd need to get new STI vinyl/decals for the foglight covers? Any good recommendations in Sussex area (ideally open at weekends but this is a bonus)?
Old 28 April 2011, 03:44 AM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Too far from Manchester, if you are in Manchester you can go to CPR, the painters in there is top! but if you want the fog lights cover STi stickers, I can help you out here, that is wat i do for living.
Old 28 April 2011, 08:50 AM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Cheers I will look you up for STI stickers when I get it done. Do you have a website? I may not be doing a respray just yet. Thanks again.
Old 28 April 2011, 09:13 AM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Pm'ed, mate.
Old 28 April 2011, 10:50 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Had mine part resprayed, they cheap b@ast@rds didn't even remove the lights, let alone the headlamp washers, it ended up flaking all over around where the masking tape had been used.

The new one I have now will be going in for spraying after 9th May, BARE!
Old 29 April 2011, 10:10 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Had mine part resprayed, they cheap b@ast@rds didn't even remove the lights, let alone the headlamp washers, it ended up flaking all over around where the masking tape had been used.

The new one I have now will be going in for spraying after 9th May, BARE!
Some of the painters are really lazy, they never remove the bumper and they just put the masking tape around it. But the thing is, they still charge a lot for it!!!
Old 30 April 2011, 10:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yep, dead right.
Old 02 May 2011, 06:19 PM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine done a while ago now. Only cost me 160 and the guy did a really good job.
As for the sti stickers. Why not leave them off as I did. The car looks really good
Without them.
Old 02 May 2011, 06:40 PM
Barty77
Scooby Regular

im getting mine done as ive hit something and its broken, so im buying a new bumper. ive been quoted £300 for paint and fit which i dont think is too bad.
Old 03 May 2011, 08:44 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

had my bumper done just last week,58 plate sti just over 2 years old and peppered with stone chips,subaru may as well paint the cars with crayola kid's paint

not bad though,cost me £40 for a top job mates rate's

marcus
Old 03 May 2011, 09:13 PM
samopangy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
had my bumper done just last week,58 plate sti just over 2 years old and peppered with stone chips,subaru may as well paint the cars with crayola kid's paint

not bad though,cost me £40 for a top job mates rate's

marcus
£40 is very very cheap, mate, you got the great price there.
Old 03 May 2011, 09:20 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

i need mine doing big time, looks like the car has feckin white acne with all the stone chips. Previous owner used a mobile guy that used a paint/touch up system that my local paint guy said is ****! his words not mine, anyhooo he said if i drop off the front bumper its £150 fully done, this includes some plastic welding of some damage from skidding in the ice.
Old 06 May 2011, 06:48 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Take it off your self and do some of the prep by sanding back yourself and you can save a few quid!
Old 06 May 2011, 09:32 AM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
I know stone chips are common but would a three or four year old car really need a re-spray that early? My 2006/56 (so only just over 4 years old) has clearly had a re-spray on the front bumper when you look very closely
Most cars will get a front end re-spray when they are a year or two old after the first owner sells them on. Really, really common.
I wouldnt bother doing it yourself as it will cost the best part of a grand to set yourself up with the basics to do a good job, then you will need experience and a place to do it, then materials for the job. Take the bumper off and rub it down yourself (both easy bits but pateience and time consuming) then give it to a painter to do, this will cost a bit less and almost gaurantee a good job IMO.